Is it Possible that Belichick is Losing His Cool?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Altoona, Apr 29, 2007.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I would hardly call this panicing. the Pats have the means to add these players to a team that played in the AFC championship. they recognize their weaknesses and have possibly corrected them, which is what every team strives to do every off season. they also understand that the window of opportunity for a team to win can close very quickly, so you better get as much as you can out of your team before the wheels stop rolling so smoothly. everything you said reflects more a ratrionalization to sooth Jet fans panicing, not the Pats.

2. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

It could be interpreted that way. It just appears to me that their (the Pats) approach this offseason reflects a departure from the well established philosophy that brought them their past successes.

As I said, their moves may well turn out to be great, but they are not without some risks of the kind previously keenly avoided by Bill and his FO. You may call it rationalization. I think its way too soon to see how well it will all pan out for them.

3. Altoona

That pretty sums up how I feel at this point.

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

sure, the Pats developed the core of their team with a certain philosophy, and are now in a position where they can add to that core team with more aggressive signings. I am not judging how those moves are going to turn out, simply that the departure itself doesn't neccessarily equate to panicing. they have a championship caliber base and the means to add to that with great players. that isn't panicing, that is a testament to the Front Office guile that has put themselves in such a luxurious position.

5. Altoona

Fair enough. We'll see how it pans out.

6. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

As long as the Patriots don't overpay for free agents this will work in their favor. Historically it has, but that hindered their ability to keep free agents.

It'll be interesting to see how NE decides to renegociate Randy Moss' contract, he's due a boatload of cash for the next two years. And while I'm sure he does want to win a superbowl, that's money I doubt he'll take a paycut on in a contract. So figure that Moss will earn about $20M in guarantees.

7. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

I agree TOTALLY, this is a team that on 'PAPER' is a beast...however I too am a Yankees fan and when Steinbrenner went BACK to the get legendary players past their prime approach, just to keep up with the RED SUCKS....they have not won a ws since 2000. I've seen this happen in EVERY sport. You CANNOT always buy your championship.

Many and a few have made the assertion that Dillon was a locker room cancer, but NO ONE other than Terrell Owens has been more of a locker room cancer in the NFL than Randy Moss.

The GAYtriots ... they pick up Donte Stallworth as well who is in the substance abuse program....this team is a line of coke, puff of weed and a bad interview away from imploding....I want to see how B*tchachek, handles the 1st time Moss gets in his face and gives him talk back of mouths off to the Boston/New England media when Brady doesn't get him the ball when HE wants it.

Again if everyone plays their part...this team is dangerous, also another thing A.Thomas is a 4-3 linebacker, the learning curve is going to be a factor in the 3-4 D.

I don't wish anyone bad luck but this Patriots team is FAR FROM the normal Patriots team, dear I say, GOD FORGIVE ME, the more likable Patriots teams of the past (I just threw up in my mouth).

We'll see what happens

#27 ATL-JET, Apr 29, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It happens like this almost every year. Last season was an aberration because we had a lot of picks. One thing the Pats fans are right about is that they didn't get there primarily through the draft, although a lot of their best players were drafted. What they didn't do is abandon the philosophy of high-character, hard working players that they wanted bolstering their young core. It's difficult to know how the Pats team will form up in September, but it just goes to show you how Jets fans can be in the face of adversity. WOE IS ME!

#28 abyzmul, Apr 29, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  9. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

^The voice of reason....

10. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

It's not the Patriots that I'm worried about. Sure, we're going to have 2 losses to them again probably, just like we have for pretty much the past 4-5 years, we've only beaten them once in that timespan...it's the fact that our schedule is going to be very difficult, and that even with an easy one last year we only squeaked out 10-6. We needed to improve to even stay competitive, I fear we'll be a 6-10 team most likely...

11. Tailgater

Tailgater New Member

Combined, the Pats are paying Moss & Stallworth 3M each this season. Branch alone made about 16M last season, and Givens got just under 10M.

I'd say the Pats have made out on the deal, even discounting Seattle trading their best WR yesterday for a 4th rd pick, after giving up a 1st rd pick & kings randsom to Branch.

Moss and Stallworth will earn about as much as J-mac is getting this season. Thats just unfair!

12. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Why fear it? This team is rebuilding and is not an elite team yet. I wouldn't get hung up on the record to much this year at all.

13. Tailgater

Tailgater New Member

You do have a point, but things change every year in the NFL, mainly based on the cap and available talent.

They would not have made these moves in 2000 thru 2002, if only because vets weren't about to make the leap to a team with the history of the Pats at that point. Add in the cap crunch BB inherited from the Carrol/Grier tenure, and it would have been impossible to do so, even with the cap-friendly deals most of their pickups signed.

They had all the available cap space this season because Branch did not accept their offer, and Law took a few more $$$ to sign with Herm in KC. Givens got 8M more than he ever dreamed of from the Titans. I wish they could have signed all three. Maybe they would have a 4th ring by now, maybe not.

14. Tailgater

Tailgater New Member

He ripped up his existing contract that provided about $22M for the next two years, and agreed to a 1yr / $3M deal, with about $2M in reachable incentives.

Seems like a fantastic deal on paper. We'll see what the season brings.

15. Tailgater

Tailgater New Member

Unlike Owens, Moss has always been well-liked by his teammates and is a good guy in the lockerroom...until he gets tired of losing. I don't see the Pats losing that much.

FYI, Thomas has plenty of experience in the 3-4 with the Ravens, as much or more than he does with the 4-3.

The first time Moss goes off will likely be the only time he does it with the Pats. He'll be cut or traded immediately and he knows it. Worst case? He 'slips in the shower' and break a bone or two. Harrison & co won't let his ego get out of control.

16. Rib Boy

Rib Boy Member

Q: Why do people assume Belichick will leave New England or that he's gearing up for one more run?

I know we've both been burned by Parcells, but not all coaches get itchy feet after a few years. Landry, Noll & Cowher stuck around for years and Belichick has a really good situation in New England. He's basically the #2 man after the owner and has free reign.

The team isn't really going anywhere, Brady is still in his 20s as is the entire D-line. The LB corps are the only ones aging and they've gotten a little younger with Thomas. They still have 3-5 years left as serious contenders.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He says he won't coach when he's 60, that's why. However, when is the last time Belichick ever told the truth about anything?

18. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

I love the theory that they are tooling up for one big run and sacrificing the future. Adalius thomas is younger than seau and bruschi he lets them slide vrabel inside when one or both are done after the season. The WR thing, they picked up a bunch for cheap (except Welker), and all of them are on fairly limited contracts, with the opt outs in washington and Stallworth's deals. They picked up SF's first for next year, and a backup for the aging harrison in the draft. How is that sacrificing the future?