Is Idzik the worst GM we've ever had?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Sep 4, 2016.

1. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

He is arguablly one of the worst gms in all of professional sports. Had the jets not lucked out with bowles and mac he could have set the organization back ten years. He had no clue what he was doing, was never qualified for the job. He is low level personal guy who is probably well liked and was always able to hang around and do nothinng. His resume was full of fluff and bullshit. I have no idea what woody johnson was thinking. Before anyone dare defend idzik please don't say the jets were cap hell and helped the jets out of it. That's laughable, with four cuts the jets added 30 million in cap space. The guy was the ultimate putz that did almost nothing beneficial for the franchise. What he miss on 12 of his 17 draft picks? Some on here could have drafted better and that's no joke.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The luckiest day in the history of the NY Jets was when Woody Johnson listened to Casserly and Wolf and hired the Mac/TB tandem to right the ship. I think if Idzik had been limited to contracts and cap numbers, he would have worked out although he was a bit of a miser. Idzik was miscast as a GM and I get the feeling he knew he was in over his head on day one. I think Woody found that out the hard way via media and fan revolts coupled with plummeting PSL sales.

NCJetsfan and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mentioned it before, but getting consultation help may have changed the course of the Jets franchise. If we ever get to a SB, we will look back on that transaction first and foremost.

So I will raise my glass to Idzik, a suicide bomber that ruined any chance of him ever becoming a gm ever again, but opened Woodys eyes.

Cman68 likes this.
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Never any middle ground with Jets fans sometimes. Idzik was committing crimes against humanity, and Macc and Bowles are already half a step behind Mother Teresa.

tiger8mush and FJF like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

ahead of Mother Teresa...... getting the pieces to allow a journeyman QB like Ryan Fitzpatrick to throw 31 TDs is a legitimate miracle not a questionable one

6. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I think mac has done a good job. I personally like his pedigree and the years he spent as a scout. Bowles has been a great coach also. As far as idzik? Whats the middle ground? What should I be thankful idzik did other than be so terrible that we got mac? You will not find one pyschotic post of mine from the time idzik was hired saying anything other than he will be a disaster. He should have never been hired so its not all his fault. Hiring idzik as a gm is equivalent to a restaurant appointing the host or hostess as a gm. He had no clue what he was doing and it was evident really quickly. I must confess I still love bitching about how much idziks sucks, so if you have any positives you want to me to freak out about. Please put them down... so I can bitch.. I dont post much as I dont have much to ccompalin about these days lol thank you

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

So you got that going for you. Which is nice.

8. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

I'm no expert in scouting or even sports history of the '80s and earlier, but it seems to me that the nature of finding talent back then lent itself to more boom and bust type picks. Not that doesn't happen any longer, by any means, but I suspect there is more film, more stats, and just plain more money to analyze potential players today compared to the players of yesteryear.

Anyway, I point this out merely to offer a modest defense of Hickey. While he undoubtedly chose some major dogs, he also assembled one of the best Jets teams in our franchise's history in the mid-80s. Save for injuries and Mark Gastineau losing his damn mind that team should have been one of the all-time greats. It didn't work out that way, but I feel like you have to give credit where credit is due. That he was able to assemble enough talent for even Joe Walton to field teams that were often competitive, and sometimes even dominant, speaks to me that Hickey deserves a bit more credit that he has gotten.

Maybe I'm biased since I grew up on the NYSE. I became a Jets fan around 1982* or so, when I was nine, so the NYSE was one of my defining early memories of the Jets. I have an admitted soft spot for that team even though I wasn't really old enough to watch them with a critical eye.

*- I had been an Eagles fan prior to this. I have since asked forgiveness for this foolishness in my childhood. Will you all forgive me?

9. Aewhistory

In re: to Idzik being our worst GM, I think I may have to agree. I wanted him to work out and felt patience was important early on, but his draft record was abysmal. It seems to me the pyrite standard for shitty Jets GMs would have to be Kotite prior to Idzik. But Kotite was still smart enough to keep an UDFA WR from Hofstra on his roster when he saw that person had talent. Chrebet turned into one of the best WRs in Jets history and one of the better wideouts in NFL history, not to mention the mold for future a new generation of small, quick possession receivers. That accomplishment alone gives Kotite a little something to smile about in a career that all of us would like to forget for bringing our beloved franchise into the deepest depths of despair. And yet, with that one find even Richie fucking Kotite comes off smelling like a rose (albeit one surrounded in shit) compared to Idzik. That's sad. It's almost as if any Madden player with a bit of experience could have done a better job than Idzik as GM. ouch!

Now as a cap manager he may have been genuine success and probably should have been left to that job with whatever team was going to employ him. But as the saying goes, we all rise to our level of incompetence. Except me. I'm gonna rise WAY past my level of incompetence. What's beyond incompetent?

10. Aewhistory

Kotite got us BP! In fact, no doubt Kotite planned the whole thing. I bet he knew that Parcells was the one person who could save our franchise, so he sucked it up so bad that BP had no choice but to swoop in and save the day. Yep, all part of Kotite's brilliant masterplan. We actually should enshrine Kotite in the Jets HoF for his self-sacrifice.....

Would anyone else like a toke of what I'm smoking? This is some good shit....

chris5533 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL Yes, of course you are forgiven. Go and sin no more! ;)

I'm no expert on the draft back then, either. You could be right about the "boom or bust" aspect. Seriously, that's why I tried to qualify the response you quoted, and offer both positive and negative. You're right that scouting wasn't as sophisticated back then, they didn't have all the digital equipment, and probably not all the film teams have today. They didn't have all the psychological testing and probably didn't have the Wonderlic test back then, either. I'm sure that draft philosophies weren't as sophisticated or refined as they are today.

Hickey did draft some very good talent. It's easy to go back and cherry pick and say that he should have drafted this player instead of that player and criticize him or any GM, but we're looking at things in hindsight, and there could have been very compelling reasons that he drafted the players he did over the ones he didn't. In general, I think he did pretty well for the first 5-6 drafts, but it was pretty much all downhill after those. I don't know how old he was, but it was like he lost his eye for talent or got old or something.

12. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

And Decker.

But yeah he still sucked

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

IDK about worst, but he is in the top 3 for sure. Gutted the team, drafted terribly, didn't take care of our own, didn't bring in free agents he just didn't do anything except try to low ball everyone on contracts. I remember people blaming woody saying he didn't want to spend, but look at what mac did. mac is doing awesome with woody. idzik was just terrible

14. richieC

richieC Active Member

Idzik did get a middle 1st round pick for Revis. Something i didn't think was possible.
    BUT then turned around and spent a 1st round pick on Dee Millner. SMH, such a savage BUST.

Idzik was such a bad Gm, makes me wonder if we could have gotten more for Revis. :rolleyes: