Is Idzik the worst GM we've ever had?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Gotta figure the Kyle Brady pick was his among other gems.....I remember Kyle Brady later on saying nobody ever even bothered coaching him. Smh.

'95-'96 was a low bottom. '14 felt just as low, for me anyway.....

2. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

There's a reason you can't remember who our GM was. We didn't have one! Sternberg was pretty much our first full time GM as weird as that sounds. It's true, and I remember it like a bad case of food poisoning.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Nevermore

#23 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, he wasn't too bad. He was kind of like the poster boy for Kottite's futility tho. But Brady was about effective as Anthony Becht in the passing game, and the pick took a lot of heat at the time. He ended having a decent career in Jax after he got away from Kottite.

5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Idzik's draft picks speak for themselves, his 2nd draft is amongst some of the worst in history but Bill Parcells for all his coaching was a god awful GM. Just look at some of the shit the man did, his drafts were terrible, he destroyed our cap and he traded away Farrior.

Poeman and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Shit, I confused Brady with Becht. Time for bed.

Walt White likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. No wonder I couldn't remember!

8. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell "this season" hasn't started yet. You and Champ should get your own board and just exchange repetitive negative posts.

9. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

He is absolutely terrible one of the worst ever and I despise his drafts ... clearing the cap isn't that hard honestly ... that said Mac is here cause of his disaster so maybe it was a blessing in disguise ... imagine if he did those pisdick drafts we would be set for years to come ...

10. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

The sad part is Idzik actually has as much competition as he does for worst GM ever, most other franchises it would be an automatic he was the worst GM ever - lasted two years with horrible drafts, no attempt to improve in FA other than Decker, got a popular coach derailed out of town by tanking two straight seasons and embarassed the franchise with that dopey midseason press conference.

But one thing I don't think can be argued...the 2014 draft might have been the single worst draft ever from a Jet GM and that's saying something. To come out of a draft with so many impact WR's, where 95% of the WR's drafted make an impact and we happen to pick the only bums that don't is bad enough, having so many of those guys wash out of the league or off the roster in such a short-period of time is mind-boggling.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Kotite went 4-28 while with the Jets. He engineered 1-15 record in year 2 - which was eclipsed later only by 0-16 Lions. A stuff of legend, I gotta tell ya.

ajax likes this.
  12. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Idzik was awful. TFB (Terry Fuckin Bradway) was awful. Whomever the Jets GM(s) were from about '87 until about '96 were awful.

NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Idzik actually did a solid job of getting us out of cap hell while positioning Maccagnan with lots of room to operate. He knew how to work the cap.

On the flip side Idzik was in over his head when being asked to evaluate college talent and therefore failed miserably come draft day.

Maccagnan on the other hand is a proven evaluator of young talent. Has been a scout for a very long time, which is how he's made a career living (scouting talent) and the reason why he's an NFL G.M as of today.

Macc knows exactly how to not only prepare for but also run a draft room. He's a breath of fresh air moving forward and should impact with draft picks for many of years to come. His 4th-7th rounders & undrafted additions are something to look forward to moving forward.

Todd Bowles is also perfect for our franchise. A defensive guru in the mold of Rex Ryan but also respected around the league as a disciplined man who doesn't tip off his hat through the media (very Belichick 'like').

I absolutely love this front office. They've rejuvenated our franchise into the right direction.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I know the GMs were bad, but the GM does not do all of the work, the scouts are the ones who put the measurables down on paper. It's speaks volumes of the terrible scouts the jets have had over the years, let's be honest, historically the FO as a whole was just not good for quite some time.

#34 Red Menace, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It's embarrassing, I do remember WRs that I thought the jets were going to select, I was so happy as I though they fell into the jets lap and they select some name that should have been an UDFA, it was pretty weird, like a twilight zone episode.

I didn't care for Rex, him being fired was a good thing as well, I believe he was a CI to the media.

#35 Red Menace, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Good point, but it's usually the GM who hires the scouts. If the Jets' GMs have been undermined by poor scouting, they have no one but themselves to blame since in all likelihood, they hired the scouts, set up college scouting and the draft. Either Tanny or Idizk seemingly could have fired Bradway, and totally revamped the scouting area. Neither did so, because neither was qualified to do so.

Red Menace likes this.
  17. joegee

joegee Member

Mike Hickey was responsible for years of inept drafting. We devolved into a laughing stock of the league.

18. NCJetsfan

Mike Hickey!!! Yes, you're right. Thanks, Joe. I had forgotten about him.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Bradway absolutely the worst, but Idzik not too far behind

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Walton had major input......i have been told that he was a main reason for the obrien pick from cal. There was a split amongst 2 scouts, hickey, and the team president prior to the draft regarding which QB to take. They were going QB regardless and for some reason walton had obrien targeted well before the draft. When marino fell that day, there was obvious discussion about him but they really weren't prepared like some other teams (colts, fish, bills. if walt michaels was still the coach the pick likely would have been marino, but walton was given the pick "authority"because he was the new head coach and apparently had the boner for KOB.

Take it for what its worth after 33 years. but yes the jets were definitely an odd organizational structure during the 70's and 80's. They did have some good drafts in the later 70's and decent ones in early 80's but after that they whiffed on OL after OL, picked a first round FB, and just really couldn't get a break in the draft (81 taking mcneil one spot after taylor went to the giants). LT would have been a jet if they had pick #2.

NCJetsfan likes this.