Is Cromartie worth his 4 year $32 million dollar contract?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Jetsring2013

Jetsring2013 Banned

Absolutely not worth the money. He should be replaced by Isaiah Trufant, with the monetary gap to be bridged by purchasing unlimited strippers and coke for all on this forum for a few years. It's all about opportunity cost.

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Cromartie is a good CB and based on market value he is worth what he got. He was solid for us last year, and while he had a couple bad plays on Sunday, he doesn't deserve the criticism he's getting.

3. felker

felker Active Member

Given the structure of the Jets team, the way the Jets play defense, who their chief rival is and most especially having Revis, a very strong #2 and good safeties is very important. Otherwise Revis gets ignored and becomes much less of a factor.

This is why the Jets wanted to upgrade with Aso, and why they have all sorts of money for whomever plays #2 CB.

#2 CB may not be worth this much to other teams, but for the Jets he is.

4. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

this guy gets it.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Good point, and one the Jet fans here should have realized.

Some opponents have a great #1 receiver but a real drop off to #2. Others have real quality at #2, even #3. Opponents with mediocre #2's do not provide matchup problems for the Jets. But Dallas has two quality wideouts. Opponents like them make the drop off from Revis to Cromartie more evident.

But this is why as Felker points out the logic of having Revis is you need to get as much as you can out of #2 cb. Otherwise you have to use a lot more zone and double teaming, which draws away from Ryan's overall Defensive approach.

6. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

I just wish he were more physical. I think I saw him jam once all last year.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Cromartie has the body of a lion and the head of a bumble bee. And the heart of a butterfly. And the spine of a jellyfish.

What a fucking bitch. No way is he worth the money.

8. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Yes.

My opinion is not limited to only one game but last years performance as well.

Do I think he was the best option available: yes

Do we need him to do as well as we did last year: yes

Was there better options than to spend all that money on him: yes

I would've rather used that Nnamdi money to get Carlos Rodgers (a very solid #2 guy on the cheap, 2.13 mil / 1-year) and Eric Weddle.

#68 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  9. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

No, he isn't worth it, but after what happened with Aso, we kind of had no choice.

10. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

As someone else mentioned, he was worth it because of the way the Jets play defense. You almost always overpay in free agency, but the cost to have another good CB is fine.

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I can't tell if you're serious.

100% of the posters saying he isn't worth it would change their opinion instantly if he went down and someone else had to start.

Our #2 will always get attacked because Darrelle Revis is playing on the other side of the field.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

No, they really wouldn't. The fact that he was the only realistic option for a #2 CB after the Jets lost out on Nnamdi dictated that the Jets were overpaying. Doesn't mean he was worth it. Especially getting schooled like a rookie in the endzone, repeatedly. He's got shit for instincts and doesn't care about technique.

Yes, our #2 will always be attacked. Doesn't mean we have to be suckers as fans and make excuses when he gets abused.

#72 abyzmul, Sep 13, 2011
  13. Denny

Denny Active Member

I've been hard on Cro before. But he tried to make the pick instead of swatting it away which is what this defense is designed to do. Rex wants his guys to get the ball. Cro did a lot of swatting last season when he could have had the int. You cant be sore at him for both. Tight coverage is what he had. No OTA's. These guys had a four week preseason to get training camp in. Cro with hands could be dangerous. The jury is mulling about but if he gets those two plays the media would be saying how the JETS dominated the Cowboys going away.

The defense willed itself to the win when the opportunities presented themselves. That's what we have been waiting for for a long time. All you have to do is watch the beginning of the 4th quarter to the end and you can easily get excited about this season. This defense can hang with any team through all 4 quarters. CB's included. Revis beat the shit out of Dez and Cro was where he needed to be.

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Yes, they would.

You stick Kyle Wilson or Donald Strickland on Miles Austin or Dez Bryant and see what happens.

There were some other corners available, but he was the best available option by far.

The guy's got very good instincts. He just gambles. Like a poster before me said, he should have just knocked the ball down. However, if he gets that pick, 90% of this fan base is riding his dick for the next week.

Seems like you're calling me a sucker?

Remember, I'm the only fucking poster on this board that knew Miles Austin was worth anything a few seasons ago. Who's the sucker?

Revis should have covered the more physical Dez Bryant the entire game.

The Cowboys have one of the best passing attacks in the game - Austin and Bryant are both capable of being #1 receivers and Jason Witten is a great tight end.

I'm not saying Cromartie had a good game, I'm saying that you guys need to look around the damn league...

Look at the passing numbers throughout - big time yardage all over the place. Revis is an endangered species in this game. The shutdown corner is so incredibly rare.

For some stupid reason, most of you expect Cromartie to be on Revis' level. That's not happening. He's our best on the other side though.

#74 Mr Electric, Sep 13, 2011
  15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Well, if you watched Nnamdi this week he sucked too and he would have cost 12 million a year so then what?

16. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

Not sure if serious

17. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

It's too early to tell right now, Cro has had some good games and some shitty ones, but he was better than any available corner at the time or on our roster. And we all know having at least two reliable corners on this team is essential

18. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I wish Tanny wouldn't have spent so much time sniffin' Aso's nuts...and went after J.Joseph instead. The Texans had the right idea (as soon as Aso started taking his time weighing his options, the Texans got out of dodge and signed the next best CB....Tanny should've beaten them to the punch, or at least tried).

You're right in that Cromartie was the best option at the time we signed him. But given that the Jets were pushing hard for Aso, is quite indicative of what they really think of Cromartie's play at corner....the shitload of guaranteed money Cro signed was certainly market-driven, but i think he got a little extra to ease tensions between him and the FO.

19. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

For what was available on the market, Cromartie is worth his contract. NFL contracts are worth shit anyways except for the guaranteed money since you can cut a player whenever. If you get 2-3 good years out of him, which is very possible and should be a given, the contract is worth it.

20. Jetsring2013

Jetsring2013 Banned

Of course you're right, but when you're talking about being overpaid it isn't enough to stop there. Our only realistic option to improve this offseason was to get one of the very best CB's in the game as a #2, which we couldn't pull off.

Revis stops the #1 threat, but it's not worth much if you get beat everywhere else. Since this is important, you need to have the best options you can get in other important roles. They paid as much as they felt they needed to make him stay, how can you fault them?