Is Bryce Petty Our Answer After 40 Years?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

"The education of Bryce Petty means avoiding the temptation to go into warp speed. He has the physical skills, mental makeup and maturity to thrive, but there’s a danger in rushing his development that the Jets must avoid.

Patience has its privileges, especially with a 24-year-old rookie quarterback wise beyond his years. He is engaging and genuinely humble, a next-level thinker who knows that 90% of the battle is won above the neck.

He has miles to go before he sleeps. He’s confident, not cocky. He knows he can play here. He also knows there’s a lot he doesn’t know.

The NFL landscape has been littered with cautionary tales of talented quarterbacks fast-tracked to oblivion. Petty has the baseline skill set that talent evaluators crave. Cannon arm. Good head on his shoulders. Leadership traits.

The Jets should cultivate his talent, not wreck it by needlessly accelerating his transition from a simplified college spread system. Petty might be the answer to a 40-year-old question for an organization looking for a true franchise quarterback if the brain trust takes a cautious and smart approach.

“I don’t have a timetable,” Petty told the Daily News after practice on Saturday. “There’s not a whole lot of retraining. It’s learning something new. It’s fun. The bumps and bruises are hard. I’m a perfectionist, so to miss things, to not get things sometimes, that part’s hard. . . . But when you sit back and think about the football knowledge I’ve learned these last couple months, man that’s cool to me. I’m excited about what’s ahead.”

The Jets are optimistic, too. General manager Mike Maccagnan might have found a starter in the fourth round, but he won’t know for sure for at least another year or two or three.

It’s blasphemous in today’s NFL to give quarterbacks the necessary time to study, learn and grow. The notion that the Houston Oilers plucked Steve McNair out of Alcorn State only to hand him a clipboard to watch behind Chris Chandler for much of his rookie season is foreign now. The thought of Randall Cunningham playing only on third-and-longs early in his career wouldn’t fly today.

So, young talent is fed to the wolves. Some QBs like David Carr never overcome the psychological trauma.

The next is now. Sooner, however, is rarely better unless your name is Luck.

Petty has a chance to make it if handled properly. The Jets quarterback depth took a hit when Geno Smith, who is persona non grata these days, landed in the hospital after getting clocked in the jaw by a disgruntled teammate.

The Jets will add a veteran signal caller later this summer. In the meantime, Petty has received extended practice reps as the No. 2 quarterback behind veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick. He endured his fair share of struggles in his pro debut last week against the Lions. He made “ground-level execution” mistakes, as he called it, but it’s hardly reason to panic.

“Bryce has it,” Fitzpatrick said. “He’s got all the physical tools that he’s ever going to need. ... We’re just continuing to try to work achieving that mental clarity when the ball is snapped. ... Eliminate all that clutter after the ball is snapped. The hardest thing to do as a young guy is to be at peace when the ball is snapped.”

Petty’s willingness to learn each day has given people in the organization belief that he might be what they’re looking for one day. There are no guarantees. He’s still in the embryonic stage of development, but the physical and mental upside is tantalizing.

Petty’s pro outlook was all over the map. Some scouts believed that the former Baylor star that lit it up in Art Briles’ spread system for two years would have a real chance at immediate success. Others viewed him as a long-term project.

Petty knows he can play at this level. He says it without a trace of arrogance, which is hard to pull off for a rookie.

“I’ve grown up watching these guys on Sundays,” Petty said. “At some point you got to say, my idols are now my competition. That’s important because you got to know that you can be here. ... I am a good quarterback. What I do works and I can be successful. For me, that was huge because there was a lot of doubt coming in from everybody. Can he do it?”

He makes no promises or guarantees, but his goals are ambitious. He wants a gold jacket one day. Today, he just wants to accurately diagnosis a corner blitz.

“You’re playing the wrong sport if you don’t want that,” Petty said of the Hall of Fame. “To be considered great, to be considered a legend in this game, it definitely means ending in Canton, Ohio. That’s obviously what anybody wants: to be considered the best to ever play their sport. So I definitely want that, but right now it’s got to be things that I can control on a day-to-day basis until I know things like the back of my hand. Right now, I don’t.”

So, he continues to learn by asking questions and making mistakes. He just needs time.

“I have the physical tools,” Petty said. “Now it’s just making sure I have the mental and then it could be…”

His voice trailed off. He didn’t complete the thought. He didn’t have to.

The promise of what lies ahead is intriguing."

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/foo...tty-showing-signals-success-article-1.2327369

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

do i have to answer now or can i wait at least 1 more preseason game?

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Right now!!!Is he the fucking answer or not?!?!

4. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I hope he works out for us.

Having said that... Every QB ever drafted thinks they are going to Canton one day, most don't see the end of their rookie contract.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If you answer now and you write a blog about it, you too could be the next big thing in journalism!

FJF likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I wanted Petty VERY BADLY in the 3rd Round. Thought he was a steal. The Jets drafted Mauldin and I hung my head. He somehow was nearing the Jets pick in the 4th Round, all of a sudden the Jets traded up right before their pick, and selected Petty. I was so excited. He really has a bright future. Chad Pennington was a first round pick in 2000, but was not inserted into the starting lineup until 2002 and instantly thrived. I am hoping for a similar path for Bryce. The problem is no one has patience these days. We will see how he looks next offseason, but if he is ready to start by 2017 I would be happy. If he is not, and never works out, still worth that 4th Round risk. Great pick, Maccagnan!

greenbeanz, HAYN, LAJet and 4 others like this.
  7. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

This David Carr comparison is getting old. The guy played behind the worst O-Line in history, he didn't have a defense to help him out, of course he was going to be eaten alive. Our O-Line isn't the best in the league but certainly far from bad outside of Colon maybe. Geno had a lot of time in the pocket last season and this year the line should be even better. I don't see this as an issue for whoever plays QB, veteran or rookie, the O-Line is not an excuse for the QB not playing well. The question is if Petty understands the offense good enough to just PLAY and not THINK. It has to be instinctive, if he starts to think he'll guess himself, he'll force throws, take sacks, panic, throw the ball across the field and all that. He's got all the tools, great arm, smart, good size, very talented, he just has to study hard and know the offense inside out.

8. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I hope Petty is the answer; but who knows. How many times has this fan-base gotten excited about a QB only to have our hopes dashed by injuries or ineffectiveness?

9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I think he has the potential to be a starter in 2016 at the earliest: I actually didn't think he looked too bad in the lions game. If the jets would EVER get around to using the draft to get some quality OL, which would amp up the running game, Petty or any other QB would have a better chance of success.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

We'll find out in 2017.

Jetsruby likes this.
  11. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

My personal opinion, based on nothing concrete other than what my own eyes detected in our first preseason game, is that the answer is no.

I think he will be a solid backup for a number of years, but I don't think he has the look of a QB with the physical tools and intangibles to lead a team. He seems too much like a college QB to me, like the vast majority of good college QB's who don't have that extra something to excel at the Pro level. Just my personal opinion based off of one preaseason game, so hopefully I'm wrong.

12. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Yeah he the answer we can all tell after one preseason game. Lol. I got him in the HOF already. In fact is there anyway I can change my username? Lol

13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Way too early for these assesments. He still needs to sit down and learn the game. Multiple people are telling he has all the physical tools but it doesn't mean much. Geno also have all the physical tools but he is not smart with the ball. We will see if Petty has the smarts once we see him in action after this year.

I sure hope so though. If he is the answer, we will be contenders for a good 10 year. One can only hope.

14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I was just pleased that he did not throw an INT the other night. I am so far from drawing any conclusions about him. I would be willing to bet, though, that he is more accurate than Geno. But that is just one piece of the puzzle.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And they thought Brady wasn't even worth drafting much less in the 6th round...I have given up prejudging QBs until they actually hit the field in a game that matters.

mezzavo, chandler, HAYN and 3 others like this.
  16. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

I will wait and see. Hopefully they go slowly and develop him.

17. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Geno and Megahead would have to go down first but so far hes only played 1 preseason game.

18. juss

juss Active Member

Yes, I think he will be, and sooner rather than later. Reckon he will start some games in 2016 before making the jump in 2017.

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Can we not push and scream for this kid yet?Can we just let him go threw the motions and make progress in his own time.Maybe he will be the answer next year .....Maybe he won't, but we def won't find out in the pre season or this year as a whole.

Jets69 likes this.
  20. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

This is true.