Is Atlanta looking to trade Matt Ryan?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Br4d, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They just signed Matt Schaub as a veteran backup for Ryan. They've got the 17 pick in a draft that has 3 or 4 QB prospects that might make it down there.

The Falcons are 18-30 in Ryan's last 48 starts with no playoff games since 2012. He's 30 and his performance is not what it was at his peak.

Denver needs a QB. The Jets need a QB.

Maybe Atlanta is going to try to trade Ryan into those needs and start the rebuild with a drafted QB this year?

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

3. Br4d

Schaub was the starter for Kyle Shanahan in Houston when he had his best years. He's exactly the kind of QB you'd sign to play for a year while a draftee was holding the clipboard and getting up to speed.

I think there's at least the possibility that the Falcons are thinking about pulling the plug on the Ryan window at this point if they can get a good value return in the deal. There's a lot of dead money on his deal but it's not unmanageable the way it was last year. 4-12, 6-10, 8-8. That's not what you want out of your $20M+ QB and his cap numbers are getting bigger for them over the next few seasons.

4. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I don't see it. Schaub has been a trainwreck for awhile now. He's a clipboard holder who you hope never has to play.

#4 CJLang, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It's not Ryan's fault that the Scouting department and the GM suck, they have had some terrible drafts, especially on the defensive side. No way should they consider getting rid of Ryan. We as Jet fans know how hard it is to find a good QB.

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Def not...But if they do, I'd trade alot for him

7. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Overpaid , underachiever.

He only puts up good games indoors and 50 percent of that reason is because he's throwing to one of the best WR's in the game.

Even if they were shopping him , which they arent cause Blank loves him , I wouldn't want him on the Jets.

8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I'm going to pull something out of my ass and start a thread.

True story.

_

BeastBeach and alleycat9 like this.
  9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Br4d, youre better than this dude

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You've been pushing this idea for a while now and it just does not look to be a reality. With Chase Daniels getting $7 million a year and Brock Osweiler getting 4years/$70 million teams are realizing they need to do anything and everything to get a starting quarterback in this league.

Ryan's an underachiever but he's also in the top 15 ranking in this league. Maybe it's somewhat feasible if they were picking in the top 5, but even if they draft a quarterback isn't Matt Ryan the much better player to be a place holder than Matt friggain Schaub?

11. Br4d

If Matt Ryan continues to go downhill he's Jay Cutler in a year or two. He smiles more but his teams don't win at this point. Yes, that's not on him but in truth he was never a franchise QB. He was always a good QB well supported until the support went away. Now he's 30 years old and he's getting paid like he won the Super Bowl a few years ago only he didn't. His team is losing as much as it wins and unless they get a huge talent upgrade in around him, particularly on defense, that trend is going to continue.

Look at the other teams in that division. The coach who was there when he got the big deal got the axe last season. The GM is right on his tail this year if the Falcons falter again. It's going to take a huge talent upgrade for the Falcons to become really competitive and they're losing pieces of the last window instead.

Ryan is probably going to get traded in the next couple of years as reality sets in. Why would you not trade him now when his value is still relatively high and he's healthy and that contract has not yet totally weighed down his value and the team?

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dont think Brad is crazy at all. Atlanta is at a crossroads right now. People dont realize how bare the cupboards are in Atlanta. They dont have as much talent on that roster as people think. Matt Ryan's contract will jump up to $23 million this year against the cap

If they arent thinking about trading him, they really should be. Because in 2 years its gonna be the same old shit there. Mediocre, disappointing finishes, and then people will start to question Matt Ryan. Making a move now to get out ahead of that, while Ryan still has a lot of value, would make a lot of sense for them. Plus while they still got Julio Jones, he will make a young QB look better than he really is anyway.

Atlanta could really use a roster blowup/rebuild. If they got out in front of it now they could get a lot for him and be on their way towards shaking things up nicely. Wilkerson and a 2nd just for example would give them at least $8m more in cap room this year (more if they sign Wilkerson long term), a high talent like Wilkerson, and another draft pick, something they could use because they have the fewest this year. at 17th overall, they could take a player like Paxton Lynch who was tailormade for Shanahan's offense.

They've gone 18-30 the last 3 years with Ryan. Does anyone really think if they executed what I describe above that they would do any worse?

Personally I think if they aren't looking to trade Ryan they should be. I dont think they are though as he's entrenched in that community and Arthur Blank loves him

13. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Do you consider Matt Ryan a franchise QB?

14. BrowningNagle

I dislike that term because I think its kinda nonsense and it also factors in things off the field too which are irrelevant to me. But yes, I believe he's a QB that will make a lot of franchises quite happy to have

15. Bills over Jets

IMO opinion if youre lucky enough to find/have a franchise QB, you don't trade him for any reason.

16. BrowningNagle

a lot of people share that opinion with you and thats why there are a lot of teams like Atlanta who finish middle of the pack all the time. I am not married to that idea. The problem is the defined "franchise QB" idea. There are differing levels of QB. If I have Aaron Rodgers, sure, I dont trade him for any reason. But if I have Matt Ryan or Jay Cutler or Philip Rivers or Matt Stafford, and I pay him like Aaron Rodgers, I am definetely going to be open to a trade if the price is right

Br4d likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

I just don't really think they're in position to draft a quarterback as I think the top 3 will be gone and I also don't think this is the year to start over with a young quarterback.

You have a possibility of 3-5 teams looking for quarterbacks before 17 (Rams, 49ers, Browns, Cowboys for the future, Eagles, and maybe even toss the Bears/Saints in there if they're forward thinking). Granted I think the assumption is that Matt Ryan could be traded for a kings ransom to one of those teams and they go get their guy.

I just don't think you make that move unless your in position to get a certified stud. If it happens, we'll certainly see what the Falcons think of the upcoming quarterback class.

18. BrowningNagle

I dont think you ever can be sure you are going to get a certified stud though. Its risky but its about risk management.
    -
    I think about how ridiculous this league is getting in terms of how desperate they are for QBs. Brock freakin Osweiler gets $18 million per year, Ryan Tannehill is making $19 million per, the Eagles are now paying over $24 million per year for the amazing combo Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel. It insane how desperate teams are to land and keep a "franchise QB"... its no wonder a journeyman like Ryan Fitzpatrick might be asking for $15million. Decent QBs are seen as gold!

Instead of being another one of those teams, desperate for a QB and hanging onto a decent one for way more than he's worth, I would do the opposite and look to take advantage of this landscape. If I have a decent QB like Ryan, and I'm mired in mediocrity, I'd dangle his name towards these desperate teams. Atlanta might be able to get a king's ransom in return! and not to mention a hell of a lot more cap space as an added bonus

19. Jonathan_Vilma

I think your second paragraph is evident as to the reason he won't be moved or they won't even think about moving him. You could go another decade without landing another quarterback up to Ryan's capabilities in the draft, or be ready to pony up huge money to a free agent that has proven to be worse than him.

It just seems like a huge gamble.

20. Bills over Jets

It would have to be a steep price for me. Very steep. It's very difficult to find QB's of that caliber, and by the time you do, you've probably already been fired. Atlanta has been stuck in mediocrity but I don't think that is necessarily just because of Matt Ryan. Sure he hasn't been elite, but look at that roster outside of him. They've made stupid moves in free agency like Paul Solai, Tyson Jackson, Dunta Robinson, Brooks Reed, Ray Edwards, Jon Asamoah, and stupid draft picks in the first 4 rounds like Peter Konz, Robert Alford, Akeem Dent, Rashede Hagemen, Lamar Holmes, I think only 1 of which is even on their team. I left off many others. Those decisions have left their roster depleted. They've also let important guys go in free agency like Sean Weatherspoon, Harry Douglas, etc. I think stupid personnel moves is what's holding that team back, not Matt Ryan. If they would have just allocated their resources differently, they'd be a much better team.