Is 2024 DOA without adding any new offensive coaching?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Kronoking, Jan 8, 2024.

?

Can the 2024 Jets make the playoffs with Hackett as the only offensive mind in the coaching room?

1. Absolutely. Having ARod at QB negates the need for good coaching

2.1%
  2. Yes. Hackett can still be good enough with ARod as his QB and with the right player personal adds

20.8%
  3. No. We'll be better but not good enough. Good coaching matters

31.3%
  4. Hell No. This is more worst run franchise in sports nonsense

45.8%
  1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Sorry bout that, should have been clearer. I meant I hope you both are wrong that Numb nut...er...I mean Rodgers goes down thus the team having to RELY on the useless O.C. we have to manage a backup QB.

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that, with the lack of coaching we on the o-line, Rodgers probably won't make it out of the first quarter of the season but there always is that shred of hope that he lasts the whole year. This way, when the Jets go and win 4 or 5 games, there is no excuses across the board.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. mezzavo

I'm in this boat as well...

Let's face it, you can already "feel" Wilson's disappointment. That dude wants to win and he's not shy about saying it. Who I really feel bad for is Breece. With the way the current NFL is constructed, the only way he sees a decent contract is IF he stays with the Jets and we all know that's a non-starter. There are backs that are putting up better numbers that are getting jack for a contract comparatively. He's taking a beating on a horrible offense and, the more mileage the Jets put on him due to the fact that he's basically the only offensive option at times, the worse his chances get. Wilson is the only guy who probably will get big money from some other team making it worth it to move. Hard to say about the defensive folks. Either way, if I were any of them, I would run, not walk, away from this organization as fast as humanly possible. Unless, of course, it's all about the money. In that case, Woodruff's money spends just as good as everyone else. The WINNERS will want to leave as soon as it's contractually possible.

NCJetsfan, Cman68 and JohnnyJet like this.
  3. mezzavo

Ahhhhhhhh, the "fly in the ointment" rears its' ugly head again! We all seem to keep revolving around back to the coaching, which is the ONE thing we KNOW isn't going to change for 2024... I would bet the million dollars I don't have that this staff could break a guy like Trent Williams.

NCJetsfan and JohnnyJet like this.
  4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'm guessing it's too late to get his brother back....

5. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

At the very least we should’ve fired the Oline coach.

That’s all I got. Should be pretty self explanatory.

NCJetsfan, JohnnyJet and KWJetsFan like this.
  6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

ARod?

Rodgers could make it work well enough I think. Have to be realistic though he's in his 40s now coming back from a serious injury so one has to wonder how much gas he has left in the tank or if he has enough left to make Hackett look competent.

However productive the Jets offense is it will be bottlenecked by Hackett. Utlimately there are teams with far better coaching who will counter & limit what the Jets offense can do the Jets don't have the brainpower on the sidelines to counter back.

Hackett is only along for the ride and should have been fired a long time ago. He's dead weight.

NCJetsfan, SOJAZ and mezzavo like this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Now you and I both know there is NEVER a circumstance that the Jets couldn't find an excuse for no matter what.

NCJetsfan, mezzavo and REVISion like this.
  8. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

About the injury....My wife had achilles surgery and had the same technique used as AR... after 12 weeks she is walking normally, is about ready to start golfing again, so there is that... and believe me my wife is not an athlete. So I would suspect that he will be 99.9% there for OTAs

9. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

His team is still playing this week after they pumped out a record setting offensive RoY and saw one of the biggest turnaround upswings in offensive production in the league this year.

Amazing how great you can look at your job when you crawl back under the wing of somebody who's actually good at being the final say guy.

10. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Not DOA, I think it'll take less than 6 games to know if we're in for another shit show.

Even though we usually know in 6 games already the past decade

11. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

With Carter still here, I am afraid it may scare away free agent OL from signing! That and the turf (time to replace with grass!).

12. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

All depends on what occurs in FA and Draft for OL... and I would add, identifying the OL and having them practice together - you know, like OTA, preseason, etc.
    The better dump Brown, Becton and maybe Tom

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I thought Rodgers didn't do OTA's.... Or preseasons..

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I think your analysis is some of the best on this board, but for once we disagree. Don't restructure, extend, or in any way have Laken Tomlinson on the jets in 2024!!!!. He has been the worst guard in the NFL the last two seasons. I know, he stayed healthy and barely missed a snap in 2023. What the hell good does that do if he stinks? Tomlinson and Becton absolutely have no business being near the jets next year, and I doubt any other team would even sign Tomlinson if cut. Just look at his 2023 numbers. Unfortunately, Douglas will never admit Tomlinson was a bad signing (he wasn't a bad signing, he was a terrible signing) and he'll bring him back. Jets beat writer Rivka Boord really wants the jets to move on from Tomlinson, and I agree 100%.

SOJAZ likes this.
  15. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

I vote Hell No.

Rogers will lead the Jets and Jets Fans into the First Circle of Hell.

Help us Jesus.

abyzmul likes this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think the NFL will stick with some teams using natural while most use artificial, and they will just keep trying to improve the artificial surface until the complaints stop, and then they will make it the standard playing surface. A living playing surface is too unpredictable, and the NFL wants to control their product to the atomic level so they can squeeze every dime they can out of the consumers.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Having a functional QB helps too...

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Many of us believe we have been residing in the first circle for decades.

JohnnyJet and GreenFan15J like this.
  19. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I think 2024 can be a very good year for us, if things fall into place. I know for the Jets that rarely happens but looking at the season from such a long distance, that's all we have to go on.

1. Rodgers recovers from injury and performs close to what he did in 2022. If he does, most OL problems will be minimized.
    2. Most of the starters on O and D return. I think most of our important players will be under contract.
    3. Injuries are kept to a minimum. Easy to say, but it could happen.
    4. Douglas wises up and gets a decent backup QB. Can't expect Rodgers to play every game.
    5. Looking at our opponent list, with the exception of the 49ers, all of the teams on it are beatable.
    6. Jets are able to draft an impact player at #10. There should be some very good players available at that draft position.

So, even though I consider myself a darksider, I feel there is room for optimism at this point. We have a QB, the only ingredient that was sorely missing. The only thing that bothers me is what happens after Rodgers.

tomdeb and The_Darksider like this.
  20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

coaching really doesn't really matter that much if you have a good QB

look at OC of teams with great QBs who are lauded as amazing coaches (like McDaniels with Brady or Bienemy with Mahomes) and when they go somewhere else they almost always do much worse - have they suddenly become bad coaches? No its because almost anyone looks good with a great QB (see Hackettt, see Gase etc. etc) and those same teams with great QBs just carry on being successful with a different person in place.

there are a tiny handful of coaches that have enjoyed success without a great QB but no-one has with a bad QB because no amount of coaching can overcome it

NY Jets68 and westiedog1 like this.