Interesting report from KFFL (about Saints trading down)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Apr 1, 2006.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Saints | Team to trade out of No. 2 slot; seeking defensive help?
    Sat, 1 Apr 2006 12:42:10 -0800

According to FOXSports.com's John Czarnecki, the New Orleans Saints are definitely trading out of the second spot in the NFL Draft, and they are looking for a defensive player.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Interesting...it is definitely going to be a possibility all the way up until draft day. I don't know if it is as automatic as this guy is saying.

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Well from what I have heard it will be the Jets trading up or noone trading up. It sounds like Tenn is content to sit back and take whoever is available between Leinart and Young. And I would be very surprised if NO wanted to trade out of the top 4. I don't think we would have to give up as much as everyone on here seems to think..

3. PennyandtheJets

The Trade will be hefty, but it certainly is a move we should make if it is available...

We still don't know if the Jets are interested though...A trade like this wouldn't happen until a few days before the draft...

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think we could make the trade and still keep our 29 & 35 picks.. Giants gave up a 3rd & 5th and 1st the following year to move up to #1, to a team that was targeting the same position. We only have to go up to 2 to a team that will still be able to have there choice of players they are targeting at the 4th spot. So do they just pick the player they want at 2 or do they move down to 4, get the same player and pick up a couple mid round picks.. We are in the drivers seat, not NO..

5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

It sounds like NO wants Mario Williams but does not think he's worth being picked at #2....if I'm the Jets I take my chances, stay put at #4 and keep all my other picks

6. PennyandtheJets

If we take our chances we will be stuck with taking brick or Young...

7. theUandtheJETS

theUandtheJETS New Member

John Czarnecki's opinion is pretty stupid....it says they are trading down and that they want defensive help. Well the best defensive player is sitting their for them to just go and take..Mario Williams....i personally would be really disapointed if we trade up..because we are sitting at a solid spot at 4 we will have the option of 4 possible different moves. We either can go and take Ferguson, or if he is taken by some long shot by the saints at 2 then we can go and take Mario Williams...and lets say we want to go a different route ..their is still two more options...take a QB at 4 whether it be Young, Cutler, or leinhart..whichever the titans dont take...and the fourth option is obviously to go trade down. Either way we have four options that are open to us right now, and with 4 solid options I see no reason to move up at all

8. mrjet80

Forget Young, it won't be him. It could be Brick, although as a fan I would prefer Mario. I don't see Tangini giving up 2 or 3 picks just to move up 2 spots. If NO wants to trade down 'for a defensive player' they may have to go below the #4 spot....

9. mrjet80

Excellent post! The idea of the Jets trading down 3-5 spots is interesting - I would think Tangini does this before trading up. The Jets could very well pick up another mid second or third and still get a solid player like Ngata the DT (I read somewhere that the Jets really want a DT more than anything else on the D side....

10. PennyandtheJets

They can get one of the two best defensive player by moving down to 4 and they get more picks...so your opinion is stupid.

At 4 they can take either Mario Williams or AJ Hawk...

11. theUandtheJETS

theUandtheJETS New Member

no I would have to kindly disagree because what they want in a trade we will not give them, so they really have no chance of moving to the 4 spot, and once they get outside of 4 they loose out on Mario WIlliams, We will not be giving up our extra 1st rounder, we need as many 1st day picks as we could get.....when is the last time a team has drafted 2 QB's in one Draft?...good because we took Ramsey with one draft pick already. so we will never be moving into the 2 spot.

12. IMO to move up 2 spots in the top 5, when the Saints need to move down much more than we need to move up, a 3rd rounder is more than sufficient compensation.

13. Jetfan1215

Jetfan1215 New Member

If Jets are going to make a move to get Lienart they have to trade b/c Tenn will take him if he is there at #3. This also makes sense for the Saints since they will still be able to get MArio at #4, and atlest 1 more pick for trading down

14. mrjet80

I even heard a report (it may have been Cimini) that the Jets would indeed trade up to #2 but to select Williams not Leinart. There are so many rumors and hypothetical scenerios out there now who really knows.

With the #4 pick, the Jets can't really go wrong - unless they reach for a player in the 10-15 range....

15. mrjet80

Actually it's happened before several times, for the Jets it was 1976 when they took Todd #1 and a QB named Buckey in the 8th round (2 picks earlier the Jets selected his brother a RB I think - I researched it) but your point is well-taken. They will not be taking a QB this year unless Leinart falls to them at #4 and even then I have a sneaking suspicion they trade down for a boatload of picks....IMHO (assuming Mario is off the board)

16. PennyandtheJets

No way we trade up for Mario Williams...I heard that reported as well, but thats crazy. We can't trade up for a DE. I know he will be a good player, but it doesn't hold the same value as a QB.

Fans would boo the hell out of the Jets at the draft if they passed on Leinart at 2...that would be crazy.

17. Jetfan1215

Jetfan1215 New Member

the last thing you said just sent shivers down my spine since the Jets have been known for taking players way too early in the draft. ex) Roger Vick, Kyle Brady, BLAIR THOMAS!!!!!

18. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I just hope its not us that moves up. I just don't think taking a QB this year and losing picks is good for this team.

19. PennyandtheJets

Blair Thomas wasn't a reach. He was just a bust.

20. PennyandtheJets

Making the move to get a real deal franchise QB may seem like a bad idea for the short term, but in the long run, losing a few picks for that kind of player will not hurt us at all...