INTERESTING - Inside look at Jets GM Joe Douglas’ new draft grading system

Discussion in 'Draft' started by LF911SC, Apr 7, 2020.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The article was good but what it was missing was a comparison to the previous regime. We know how Douglas plans to approach the draft but is this something new to this team?

it also says “everyone’s voice will be heard” but then later “Douglas is very convicted in his views” ... that strikes me as contradictory

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The article does say that the grading system is new and implies that Douglas spent a lot of time last summer with those involved in helping them to understand the finer points and the ins/outs of his grading system and scale before they ever hit the road to scout college games. It compares Mac's grading system with Douglas' and how the focus shifted from a general NFL focus (what round a player should be drafted in and thus how a player stacked up against all other players in the NFL) to a team-centered focus, where scheme fit is paramount, and he wants specific information on what a player's role would be with the team.

IMO it's not contradictory at all that he listens to everyone's voice but the final decision is his. It shouldn't be a democracy. That would be chaos, and there would be no one that was ultimately responsible. It's his job to run the draft and acquire the talent that will turn the team into a consistent winner. The final responsibility is his, not the scouts' or the CS'. The buck stops with him. It says clearly that he doesn't want his scouts to be "yes" men, that if they believe strongly in a player and can provide a clear, strong position for their opinion and that contradicts Douglas' opinion he not only welcomes it, he wants it, and that he will go back and take another look at that player and re-evaluate his own opinion. You can't ask for anyone to be any more fair and open-minded than that. It shows respect for his scouts and their abilities, and that he's willing to listen to their opinions and feedback, and seriously consider them.

3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The coach has to adjust. It's not like he's going to hate all 45 players. Every coach has his type of players but what you want is players that are adaptable. New England had ONE guy for over a decade. All they did was get players that were coachable and fit into their system and the show kept ongoing. Players left and players came from different systems but the winning continues.

4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Each coach has his type of players,And players have there type of coach and i dont think Adam Gase falls into that category.I want to be wrong about Gase but i think hes gone after this season.

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I don't know about that Gase got GM fired pretty fast so he has the owners ear. He was also in on the interviewing process for Douglas. I think 2 years will be the measuring stick for Gase starting this year. Unless he just stinks up the place. But if he shows some winning or even get into the playoffs they won't do anything.

6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

If we end up being 5-10 or worse theres no way he survives the media firestorm and fan pressure.95% of Jets Fans didnt like the hire to begin with...It really comes down to Sam Darnolds progression..And as the roster looks right now he doesnt have enough around him yet.Hopefully we draft well...

boozer32 likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And the bold part is the worst part of the Gase hire: he might well be marginally successful, maybe get them to the playoffs, but IMO he's not good enough, nor ever will be, to get them to a SB and win one. And of course we have to root for him, but it feels like rooting for mediocrity and settling for "just good enough".

boozer32 likes this.
  8. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

If JD is a really good GM he has to manage the roster he inherited on a forward looking basis and the biggest chip he has on offense to further improve the team after this year is Bell. That means he needs to tell Gase find a way to utilize Bell much better than he did last season. That showcase's Bell so he can be packaged to a contender next off-season for picks or a player swap. If that happens this team just may compete for a WC spot this year (again assuming he doesn't go brain dead during the draft like the past few GM's). That our best case expectation is that we "may" compete for a WC, not the division, not the AFC Championship etc. is pretty sad. I just hope they do enough this year to draw in fans again so I can sell my PSL for 50 cents on the dollar.

9. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Bounced? Hardly bounced.

Any more than reality isnt a crutch, its just reality.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think you're right that most GMs do draft players that fit their schemes, but there are always idiots like Idzik and Mac who have no clue. You'd think GMs like that who had no clue how to build a team or really identify talent, would work extra hard communicating with their CSs to determine exactly what they were looking for in players. Not Mac, he didn't even speak with Bowles and the CS and didn't want their input. That was documented, at least in his last draft.

I disagree that it is not a big deal to switch schemes during the offseason. That means that many of your players are starting from scratch learning a new system, and that at least some, perhaps many, don't really fit the new scheme. So that means the roster has to be turned over. That has been the problem for the Jets over most of the last 40 years. Changing HCs and CSs is less impactful than their changing schemes, and the team constantly having to turn over its roster.

LF911SC likes this.
  11. LF911SC

Pretty sure the point of the article is that things are being done differently. Dont really care for a blow by blow difference at this point, dont even know if anyone knows how Macc did his evaluations. We'll have a better idea of how JDs mind works after the draft.

And I dont see then contradiction. Douglas will take in what everyone has to say about players, can be open but he'll have to be convinced that he needs to change his opinion on a player. Sounds like sound management to me

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It’s a figure of speech. And if you don’t think people would be crying immediately about the QB situation if Gase were the one dealing with it, you’re in denial.

13. LF911SC

I agree with all, including the big deal of switching systems. Even when coaching staffs come in with the same systems there are changes that get made inevitably to the roster, to changes to play calling etc. I think that's why its so important to have continuity to a staff. You look at the long standing winning team, Pitt, NE, Seahawks, Saints, they all have been stable, have the same HC calling the shots.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. LF911SC

Actually most of the crying is by people trying to make ridiculous points like so and so played better on a different team, as if its comparable or think what the piss poor Dolphins did is all that relevant

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

So now it’s a ridiculous point when you’re talking about how a player played for different coaches and different teams? Because there are people that make a living off doing just that.

16. LF911SC

Totally ridiculous.

Are they playing the same schedule, with the same players? In the same situations? And then tries to say all things were equal so it just has to be the HC. Thats ridiculous, yes. No one makes a living coming to those conclusions

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

someone had to say it haha

LF911SC likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So what you're saying is we just didn't give Kotite enough time.:rolleyes:

Continuity sure is important, but only if it's positive continuity. The problem is that we have owners that can't find their own ass with two hands making the decisions. We can only hope that they're like a broken clock - right twice a day - and Douglas was one of those times.

NCJetsfan and LF911SC like this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

oh man this poor guy has you agreeing with him? Now he has to rethink everything!

20. LF911SC

Well yes, of course it has to be positive. I'll try to be clearer. If you can get the right person, make the right choice, and then have someone who will be around a while youre, IMO, in great shape moving forward. The consistent swinging and missing with HCs, the reshuffling of staffs and all that changes when CSs are switched is a huge disadvantage to a program and to the development of players.

Funny I saw Jim Kelly interviewed this a.m., was asked flat out who was better, Allen or Darnold. Was telling to me that he didn't pick one but his answer left it easy to read between the lines. Allen is a little more athletic and that leads to problems. Then he went on to talk about Darnold really talented but was at a huge disadvantage (or Allen an advantage) having to learn different systems. We forget, at least I do, that Darnold in two seasons has had to learn his second and third offensive system between USC, Bates and Gase.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.