Interesting assesment of our draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MexJetinBcn, Apr 27, 2009.

1. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

WalterFootball gives A grade to Jets' draft

This is from Walter Football. He's not precisely a Jets fan but treat us really well after the draft.

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2009nyj.php

New York Jets (Last Year: 9-7)

2009 NFL Draft Grade:

At first, I wasn't a big fan of the Mark Sanchez trade. When it was announced, I assumed that the Jets gave up way too much. Moving up from No. 17 to 5 should have commanded a future first-round pick.

When I heard the details of the trade, however, I quickly remembered how stupid Eric Mangini is. The Jets got away with robbery, and now I have to wonder if the Jets planted Mangini in Cleveland. You see this tactic in fantasy football all of the time; two owners will agree to share the winnings, so one guy trades all of his good players to the other. I wouldn't be surprised at all to discover that Mangini is receiving secret payments from the Jets.

All kidding aside, the Jets made a great move getting Mark Sanchez. I don't think Sanchez is ready to play right away, but he's the face this franchise really needed.

I liked the Shonn Greene pick as well; this is likely Thomas Jones' final year in New York, so the Jets need an every-down back going forward.

My only gripe is that the receiver position wasn't addressed. But considering that Sanchez will probably receive his first dose of extended action in 2010, the Jets can wait to get a potent wideout next offeason.

Grade give on 4/27/09: A

2009 NFL Draft Picks:

5. Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
    I'm not shocked the Jet fans love this pick. Mark Sanchez is a big-name quarterback with a lot of upside. However, New York is not in a new regime and is ready to win now. The main reason the Jets took Sanchez is because the team is moving into a new stadium and the owner wants to sell ticket licenses. This move is all financial, and as a football fan, I don't like that. It's not a bad pick, but I'm not nearly as high on it as Jet fans are.

Note: when this move was made, I assumed the Jets gave up too much by trading all the way up to No. 5. Well, they didn't. They completely ripped off the Browns and found a face for their franchise. (Pick Grade: A)

65. Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa
    Jet fans booed this pick, but it makes a lot of sense. This is likely Thomas Jones' final year with the franchise, so New York really needed a running back. Financially, this makes sense too; if Greene pans out, he'll help sell a lot of jerseys and tickets when the team moves into its new stadium in 2010. (Pick Grade: A)

193. Matt Slauson, G, Nebraska
    Interesting that the Jets still haven't gone receiver. The Jets needed some offensive line help. (Pick Grade: B)

#1 MexJetinBcn, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009