Interesting article about Brad Smith as future QB of the NYJ

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CaneJet, Sep 14, 2006.

1. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I can only see Brad being used for something tactical at QB. I think he is a tremendous addition to our team though, and I am glad he is here. Every time he gets his hands on the ball something good seems to happen. That's what generally use to happen when Chrebet was in his prime.

2. JetPulse

JetPulse New Member

I don't think this is the forum for a sociological debate on modern racism.
    It won't help to post an opinion that others could construe as racist.

If you really want to gauge the minds of Jets fans as far as race goes start a poll. "Does race play any part in good decisions as far as the best player for the play?"

Everybody is different in their own ways. But, it's the differences within a society that makes a society stronger. Just imagine if everybody was the same. That would suck.

3. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

Here's the article with a litte better formatting.

BLACK ATHLETE SPORTS NETWORK
    published on Sep 3, 2006

PLANET EARTH TO JETS COAC ERIC MANGINI: CHAD PENNINGTON IS NOT THE FUTURE OF THE JERSEY JETS IT'S BRAD SMITH.

FACE OF THE FUTURE

Jets Head Coach Eric Mangini put his Foot in his Mouth when he named Pennington to be Starting Quarterback. THE QUESTION NOW IS Mangini smart enough to remove his Foot from his Mouth ( probably not ).

For those who complain NFL pre-season games are a Waste. Pure nonsense. They are as important to the season as is the regular season in their own way. Without those exhibition games on the most basic level finalizing a squad would be like running a lottery. More to the point coaching staffs find out who in pre-season not among the Chosen Few just might have the Right Stuff.

Enter Brad Smith Who was humiliated ( he'll never say that unless he wants to get dumped ) by Mangini and the Jets who harked back to a Stereotype that still plaques African American Quarterbacks. Despite his stellar college career at QB the New Jersey Jets drafted Smith as a Wide Receiver and that is exactly as he has been used and treated since through training camp and the first 3 pre-seson exhibition games.

WELL THANK GOD FOR PRE-SEASON GAMES because in the Jets final pre-season game against Philadelphia Friday night in their FINAL quarter of the pre-season EVERYTHING CHANGED when Mangini finally allowed Smith to do what he has done best since the age of 5 ...Play Quarterback.

History may little note nor long remember the Jets final pre-season game EXCEPT it may have SAVED the Jets for the next decade.

What we witnessed was the True Jets Quarterback of the Future not Limited White Boys Chad Pennington, Kellen Clemens or Patrick Ramsey. Brad Smith in one brief Quarter and two possessions but the others to SHAME leading the Jets down the field twice, displaying immense leadership and talent, and scoring, make that RUNNING the Winning Touchdown for this come back Victory which ended the Jets pre-season on a Very High Note.

To summarize the Difference between Smith and the Others; He is that Dual Threat to throw and run the ball well ( when necessary ) which is the bane of Defenses and the Salvation for teams Blessed with a Quarterback with 1) leadership skills, 2) throwing ability, and 3) who can run well. None of the other Three especially QB Bullshit Artist Chad Pennington can.

Let's put it in Full Perspective the Jersey Jets beat Philadelphia BECAUSE Brad Smith QBed the 4th Quarter pure and simple.

We can easily extrapolate from that here in the Box where we don't suffer from the White Boy Syndrome which infests all sports, that had Smith Quarterbacked the entire game Philadelphia would have ended their exhibition season in complete humiliation rather than 'only' losing to Smith and the Jets 20-17.

At the start of the 4th Quarter the Jets were trailing 17-10 and the guys in the broadcast booth ( two white guys of course ) were already talking the Jets obituary for the game until to their and everyone's surprise Freshman Coach Mangini arose from his Sideline Stupor to put "wide receiver" (sic) Brad Smith in as Quarterback. Smith promptly and flawlessly engineered 2 drives, In the first taking the team 41 yards in 13 plays resulting in a 30 yard field goal. He was just warming up.

On the Jets final possession Smith began on the Eagles 28 and and in 5 plays gave the Jets the lead and the Victory with his fantabulous 9 yard TD run. In creating these two are inspiring scoring drives Smith did something very very important which the others could not in critical 3rd down situations he RAN for the First Down. In fact Smith RAN the ball FOUR times for 31 yards.Averaging 8 yards per carry.

Too Bad we don't live in a Fair or Logical World 'cause IF we did Brad Smith would be the Jets Starting Quarterback in the Season Opener Chad Pennington? He'd be doing Something he is more capable atlike selling Life Insurance.

POSTSCRIPT

Brad Smith remains listed as a Wide Receiver on the Jets roster Surprise ( to no one ).

Brad IF only you were White.

Whenever you want to reach us with comments or better yet an idea for a topic for the Box:
    blackbox@blackathlete.net

4. JetPulse

JetPulse New Member

I really think that Brad could eventually develop a Montana like quality of passing while keeping some of that running ability. But, it won't happen today that's for sure.

Ohh....
    And, I believe that Brad would very much like to NOT be a subject of such ideas.

#64 JetPulse, Sep 14, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  5. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Agreed. I think all races are cool just as long as they don't try to blow me up.

6. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

"Black Athlete Sports Network."

This is the 1st time in my life i've heard of such a network...No problem with them, just very puzzling.

Wasn't their something going on last season with McNabb or something some African American network or article that was written?

7. jets1960

jets1960 New Member

Boomer. I agree with your statement 100% :up:

8. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Actually, I think Brad could be a legit #2 right now, he has more experience than Clemmens and more skill than Ramsey. But that's my evaluation of him as a player, not because he's a black QB.

Just curious, I wonder if this guy ever bitches about all of McNabbs backups being white guys? :lol:

9. boomer

boomer Active Member

Probably no more than he bitches about Matt Jones playing WR while Leftwich plays QB for the Jags.

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I just got off the phone with Minister Farrakhan, and he says . . . .

Really, I want to see Smith come in on some fourth down, break the huddle in a spread formation with Pennington going out wide and Smith in the shotgun. Force the d to burn a time out at the very least. I remember a couple of years ago Hackett called something similar with Lamont Jordan taking the snap, faking the pitch and running against the grain for like 20 yards vs. the Seahawks. Might have been the prettiest play call he ever made. I think Smith could be very dangerous in this situation.

11. Green on Kauai

Green on Kauai New Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

12. GreenMachine

13. boomer

boomer Active Member

Wow who

taught

them how to

type
    ?

It's really, really,

really,

annoying. :rofl:

14. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

Wow, Im amazed, I wonder if Al Sharpton thinks this is racist?

15. Tight

Tight Active Member

wow shame on you. dominican people, the dark ones at least are Black. Anybody with two eyes can see soriano, tejada, big papi, all those guys are black. Tsk tsk tsk

16. GreenMachine

OK, so now all Latinos are black?? Or just "the dark ones"? as you put it..

17. luvdemjets1998

luvdemjets1998 New Member

Im also black and im just embarrassed of how ignorant this writer and this entire website is.

Im gonna send them an email and rant about how wrong and how offensive that article is. I hope everybody else who's offended will do the same.

There's a fine line b/w fighting for equality and becoming a racist yourself. They took it way too far.

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

19. FazeOne17

FazeOne17 Active Member

I wrote them an e-mail too.....

20. GreenMachine

Oh, now it is a "conspiracy"...:breakdance:

#80 GreenMachine, Sep 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2005