Intelligent Jet talk! Enter please:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Miamipuck, Oct 15, 2007.

1. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

OL is not that bad as everyone thinks. Here we go again. It's the person behind the center.

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

O.K. Winston. Once again we are parked in the same lot.

Bender, once he learns the NFL game solves one of those positions. The other will be drafted this year.

Yes. Clemens looked like O'Brien, before six zillion sacks....

Yes indeed. Get Stuckey back, Let the line develop, and hit Schottendoofus with a brick and get him to let Baker catch 70 balls a season, and this offense should be unstoppable. I wrote early on that Baker would catch 50 balls/7 tds this year. Thats not enough.

Considering where we will probably be drafting, a high level young 3/4 pass rushing OLB, should be available on day one. as will Frank Okam from Texas (6'5" 320 lb DT). If it were me I would also take a flyer on Jason Shirley late (Comparable size and speed, some character issues (alcohol)) from Fresno State.

The Pieces are in place.....Patience is all that is required....

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

If Bender turns into a solid RT this will be one of the great drafts we have seen. I also believe Stuckey may well replace Coles in the very near future.

OBrien never had Clemens mobility or release, he did throw a beautiful ball.

Agreed and I wouldn't rule out upgrades on the coaching staff. Some of the coaches we have may have been the result of availability and the fact we took a young unknown HC?

4. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I guess we differ on our opinions of Thomas, but there's no point arguing that, since we really don't have much to go off of....

I agree that Mosely and Pouha may not be the permanent answer at DT, but I think they'd be a decent enough duo to hold down one spot for the season....

Whichever D we're in, I want FA-to-be Albert Haynesworth this offseason, so, hopefully, that part of the debate will be irrelevant...

While it is true that we showed a lot of 4 man fronts on Sunday, we never ran a true 4-3....

The only time we had Ellis on one end and Thomas or Coleman down on the other end, with 2 DTs in the middle, was when we were in the Nickel, with only 2 LBs.....

With 3 LBs, our 4-3 looks often bumped Ellis inside, and left Robertson on the nose.... We then often had Hobson come down and play the end opposite Coleman.... It was an interesting look, and Robertson made a little noise in it, but it wasn't a true 4-3

5. Hobbes3259

Man, you're killing me....

I've been ruminating over both Sutton and Schottenheimer, and come to the same conclusion.

Let's face it, aside from the stuff they did last year to disguise the fact that they had no offense, what have you seen from this offense, to think that he
    is anything more than what we have already seen ?

Look at some of the basic facets of offense you see other OCs using, in terms of getting guys open, using clear out routes, moving picks, using the official in the middle of the field.... etc...

How about having the Tackle cut the DE on runs to one side, and creating a pile of bodies on the ground???

You see nothing special in trerms of innovation in that manner from this offensive staff.

Secondarily, (and i pointed this out yesterday on another thread...) it looks like Chad is getting zero coaching on the stuff he used to be good at...like Play action fakes for example...

And with Chad in an obvious slump where are the plays designed specifically to take him OUT of it ????

And don't get me started on Sutton....

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I think Schotty has been getting some undeserved criticism here. He's doing the best with what he's got. We are atop the league in 3rd down conversion %. Think about the days of Hackett when if it was 3rd and 4 or worse there was no chance of getting the 1st down. If it weren't for Pennington's INTs he wouldn't be getting this harsh criticism, I truly believe.

The things that Schotty should work on are 1) run the ball more 2) Throw in some trick plays to keep the defense off balance.

Sutton on the other hand has been awful at best, no doubts there.

7. Hobbes3259

The thing is, I think shcotty's whole problem is not realising that he may be bright, but you don't always need to reinvent the wheel.

Look at the examples of things almost all successful offenses use, and tell me when you see them from our offense... (And Hackett did use most of them from time to time...)

Particularly, running off the defenders and moving the TE towards the sideline...

8. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Yes, I agree that the TE should be involved more and I'm not saying he's been perfect, but just that he hasn't been that bad either. There is one other thing I would like to see more of and that's 4 wide sets (whether the 4th is Baker or McCareins). I like to see defenses get spread out and become vulnerable.

9. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

The only thing that's working is the pass blocking and kick returns. Everythng else is mediocore at best. The players are running this team, that's why Chad is being benched. They love the guy and Mangini will lose the team if he replaces him because they would see it as its all his fault. Meanwhile, ad Miamipuck correctly said, we could be 4-2 or 3-3 with a good QB. Its not all his fault, but can you replace the enitre front seven or the offensive line when its time to run? No. But you can replace the qb. Oh well, better the players are happy then winning.

10. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

You have to realize Hackett had a way better offensive line, Chad's arm was not as bad as it is now and there was a Future Hof Running back in Curtis Martin to fall back on. The Defense was way better back then as well and Chad was not looked upon to put up points. Mike Martz or Bill Walsh could not disguise this mess Schotty has to deal with this year.

11. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

H'mmm nowhere in all this did I see any mention of us catching the Pats which certainly has to be the goal & sorry to say most on this board overlook or just plain forget about because they do not wish to think at how far we have to go to surpass the Pats/Colts & maybe the Steelers & Charger levels. With all the changeouts we have to make maybe by 2010 we will beginning to bubble upward. But until then we will continue to be medicore to below medicore team. Best face that ugly fact because that is the reality of the situation

12. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Look at the bright side. This off season we will not have to explain what getting to the level of the Pats, Chargers, Colts and Steelers means to 75% of the posters. Lol..

13. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

GOOD POST....

Then again, I expected a step back this year so I'm not jumping off bridges like the masses.....

Unbelievable to talk about firing a coach at this point....

Granted it's not easy but, if you add a Real 3-4 NT and a road grating Guard to go with the young QB, this team has a lot of potential......

14. championjets69

Well sadly to say I have to agree with your post. have you also noticed that several quite vocal CP supporters have totally disappeared into the abyss? Probably way to embrassed to show there faces which also shows how little they really know about FB

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Kind of like you do after a big win?

16. ANJI

ANJI New Member

I think that's incredibly unreasonable, were are you getting this 2010 stuff. The Pats do look like the best team in football since the Cowboys of the 90's, but that is very unfair to say everything after that is mediocre. When the Pats beat the greatest show on turf, who was the "mediocre team"??? I know things can go bad, but what the hell is this change outs stuff??? How many did the chagers need to go from a 4-12 to the level they are at now??? How many outstanding players did the steelers have before Big Ben won a title there. That is hogwash to say the team won't be any good until 2010. You have no clue and the Jets do have pieces going forward that are as know as the steelers and chargers did two season ago.

17. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

What does this have to do with Puck's post that you were supposedly replying to?

Of course it doesn't say anything about "catching the Pats" because it is a moot and obvious point that doesn't need to be stated in every thread. It is something people/posters like to say in order to bash and diminish instead of debate.

Puck was discussing the areas that need to be addressed and what he saw as positives. It wasn't the point to talk about the Pats or a 2010 timetable (which I've noticed you liked to harp on) because it is irrelevant to the discussion (mostly because they are obvious, or extremely subjective, points that don't need to be mentioned in every post).

It knew it was only a matter before a decent thread like this was again hijacked....

#57 dabrowsk1, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  18. championjets69

C U in 2010 since it appears ur FB evulating skillls are either zero or below. If U did wish to accept my HO thats fine so we will just let the sands of time see who is more correct huh?

19. championjets69

So if U think I am not around whenever that next big win comes send me a PM to insure I show up OK?

20. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

How about you show us your FB evaluating skills and evaluate this team position by postion like Puck and others in this thread have, instead of just ranting and bashing others. Or is it just easier to troll?

#60 dabrowsk1, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2007