Insurance for Zach Wilson...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 7, 2022.

1. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

I am not the least bit worried about Zach being a dud. I have ZERO doubt he will end up being somewhere between an average NFL QB and a star or maybe even a superstar QB.

Of course, it remains to be seen what level he gets to this season. The most likely projection is that he makes a jump to midpack and will need another season to start to realize whatever his upside might be.

The issue that concerns me is injury to Zach. What if we are something like 4 - 3 or 3 - 4, and still in the running to possibly be a playoff team and Zach goes down for three or four games ? Our season could easily blow up because I do not have enough confidence that either Joe or Mike are good enough to keep any momentum we might have going. The odds are pretty high that at some point Zach will miss a few games and I have big concerns about our backups.

Joe is clearly over the hill. Mike flashed his one great game and came back to earth pretty quickly, no reason to believe he could be adequately consistent in a backup role. Hope I'm wrong and hope we dont have to find out one way or the other.

twown likes this.
  2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

You get my vote for poster who makes the best GM.

stinkyB likes this.
  3. westiedog1

So what if Joe Flacco is "over the hill." We all know that. What you want from a backup is a guy who can come in and win a few games against weak or mediocre teams and/or at least keep the team within striking distance against strong teams. If you had a guy guaranteed to win every time he steps on the turf, he wouldn't be a backup, or would cost you so much in salary it would hurt your cap numbers. At this point in his career, Flacco is perfect for the role. He's won a Super Bowl, something only one other Jet QB has done, so he knows what it takes to win. You're not asking him to lead the Jets to the playoffs, although I bet he could finish out the season if needed.

As for Mike White, I don't have any problem with him as backup. He consistently put up better passing numbers than Wilson when called on. The Buffalo game in which he "came down to Earth" was a game in which the Jets defense allowed the Bills to get an early big lead. When that happens, the team that's behind has no choice but to pass, and the team that's ahead has the luxury of playing the pass and downplaying the run. That's why the Bills, a good defensive team, were able to pile on and intercept 4 passes. I don't consider that game a true indication of White's capabilities anymore than I consider Wilson's 4 interception game a true indication of his.

4. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I personally do not think Zach will ever amount to much in the NFL. I didn’t like him as a prospect, at least not a first round prospect, and I was mortified when the Jets actually took him. My hope was they stacked the offense this year to the point that any failure would undeniably show the problem is Zach so we move on quickly, and frankly sometimes poor players end up finding greatness within themselves when they’re surrounded by greatness. We did significantly increase talent on offense, but with rookies. I also worry that we have no insurance on Becton, which of course will open the door for the excuses that Zach is a legend who only fails because he doesn’t have an all world OL. The worst thing that can happen this year is opportunities for excuses to give Zach a 3rd year if he struggles again this year.

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I guess we'll see over time how accurate your predictions are.

PJ4Ever, Noam and westiedog1 like this.
  6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

for the record I honestly hope I’m wrong. I just don’t see it in this kid. He’s just not the athletic freak nor the mental football junkie to make the leap from a school like BYU to the NFL in my opinion.

7. westiedog1

Giving you a "like" only because I respect your opinion, but disagree about Zach. I've seen enough to indicate that there is substantial physical talent there. However, as we all know it takes more than just shear talent to play QB in the NFL.

PJ4Ever and Noam like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I know noting about your posting history or your ability to evaluate QBs but I can only go from your comments here that you didn't watch any of Wilson's college tapes, and none of his games with the Jets to make the statement "He’s just not the athletic freak nor the mental football junkie..". The kid was often in the film room after the coaches left. And if you don't think he has a "plus" arm, IDK what to say to that.

I'll hold off judging you until I can see more of your posts - unlike you drawing conclusions about Wilson after all the obstacles he had to contend with as a rookie.

cval and PJ4Ever like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

How long does mortification last?

10. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

stinkyB likes this.
  11. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Do you really need to know? I got all I needed from his original post.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Maybe we should go for a trade for Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes? Or maybe trade with the Bengals for that Burrows kid?

(lol) but the better our roster gets, the more we'll need to get a good vet in here if ZW implodes. We can't waste this roster on a newbie who may or may not be the answer. If ZW proves not 2b the answer, then we'll have to follow the Rams blueprint and trade our future drafts for someone like Matt Stafford. Can't take a chance on another Tua.

14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I’ve seen enough. He’s trash.

15. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

n

#35 Not Sure, May 10, 2022
    Last edited: May 10, 2022
  16. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I definitely worded my original statement wrong, he can be a film junkie all he wants but he actually has to understand what he’s watching if I’m gonna consider him to be a high IQ player. From the blocking schemes to understanding hot reads and defensive mismatches, it was clear he was in way over his head mentally. He was playing in a fog most of the season because he wasn’t recognizing the defense. The OL blocking was immediately improved when he went down with his injury, and that was directly due to him not recognizing the defense pre-snap and calling the proper blocking assignments. I expect a learning curve for all rookies, but again a guy coming from a school like BYU is like asking a guy who throws paper airplanes to fly a 747. To me a guy from a school like that needs to either already be a football genius or an athletic freak, AND they need to sit a year (at least) and learn in the NFL. Zach has a phenomenal arm and he can run very well, but he does not have the frame to take the hits that a guy like Josh Allen or even Mahomes can, so his athleticism is really neutralized at least until his football IQ reaches a competent level at the NFL. Put another way, do you really want the kid running with the football 10 times a game? He won’t last half a season doing that. I honestly want to be wrong, but everything I’ve seen out of him past year was everything I’d expected to happen when he was a prospect.

Lon Chaney and Ralebird like this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am amazed by some of the ignorance. Do you think they play different football at BYU? Do you think the schemes are different? BYU did play against teams like USC and Tennesee. You maybe can say the speed of the game but I think you are over evaluating the other conferences.

There is Alabama, Ohio State recently Clemson and Georgia. These teams have and had so much talent the talent gap is usually a lot bigger against their opponents. The BYU argument is a straw man argument. Zach has already shown he has the physical abilities and talent to play the NFL. If Zach succeeds or fails will have nothing to do if he went to BYU or not. There has been a few decent BYU QBs that have made it in the NFL.

Are posters signing up now just to take shots at Wilson? We will see how Zach plays this season, I am sure there will be plenty of QB gurus on here evaluating every throw.

18. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

BYU has had many great qbs including Steve young and Jim McMahon.

your post reeks of hatred for zach.

you conveniently forget his post injury progression, zero ints in his last five games despite innumerable injuries that crippled the line and decimated all skill players except for barrios. Zach was practically playing one on eleven.

in today’s nfl, many young qbs do not sit a season

time will provide the evidence, but Zach will make a big jump this season and we will see flashes of what his ultimate upside might be.

19. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Fun fact: Since 1967, only two schools have had 8 QBs drafted in the top 100 picks -- USC and Washington. Next on the list? BYU, with 7 (tied with Oregon and Cal).
    NFL teams seem to think BYU is a fine place to learn how to play quarterback.

20. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I feel like the whole BYU had no competition argument is overblown.

Conversely, someone may say that Alabama QBs rarely have success in the NFL due to being so loaded in comparison to the teams they play in the regular season in CFB. But Mac Jones seemed to make the transition just fine. I think it comes down to the individual more so than the college they came from.

How many QBs were drafted and seen as a sure thing, just to fizzle out in the NFL? And there is a fair share of QBs that were not highly touted that get drafted and play well in the NFL.

I have hope for Zach and am optimistic, although cautiously so. This team has ruined too many Sundays for me in to past LOL