IND 9-5, CIN 8-6, PIT 7-7, Jets 6-7... Playoffs!?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Just gonna point out the elephant in the room, we are 4-7

2. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

We'll probably beat arizona next week, but I wouldn't be surprised if we lost to Jax (who's been playing really well since the QB change), Tennessee (up and down this year) SD (Phil Rivers coming out of his slump?), or the bills (who would probably LOVE to have a chance to end our season- anyone remember last year??).

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

While the next 5 games are "winnable" and we all though SEA and NE would be losses, the way we lost them makes the next 5 games "very losable". If we lost closely to NE or SEA, I would have more faith. But the horrible all around play has me doubting we win 5 in a row let alone 2 in a row.

4. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Oddly enough before Thursday, the Bills were the team that made me the most nervous. After the way we beat them the first time....

Here's another weird thing; we seem to play teams better on the road than at home.

5. ArmandJ

I hear where you're coming from. However, if we lost to NE by 5 the pundits and darksiders would still be saying 'season over, give up, draft picks aplenty'.

I just think this is our lucky year to back into the playoffs as a 6 seed. From there, who knows.

But first, we have to beat Arizona. Their QB situation is certainly something...

6. displacedfan

True on the darksiders, but there would be some more confidence if it was a close loss. There would be something to point out to say "see we can perform like this and beat 90% of the teams in the league". This is actually how I took our first NE loss but that play didn't last. We have shown nothing to point that we can be consistent for 2 games in a row, let alone 5. We need to win 5 straight to make the playoffs and there is nothing tangible to point and say we can.

7. ArmandJ

Eh good point. I'll still be keeping the faith come Sunday. Win this one, and we are sort of on the right track. Win against Jacksonville, and we will be right back in it.

8. displacedfan

Same here, I will watch and always root for them. I just won't be hyped, I'll be cautiously pessimistic not trying to get too high if we get a lead

9. ArmandJ

One thing that makes me feel a bit more comfortable is that in the rare times we have a lead, we never choke it away (I'm talking about substantial two touchdown leads).

10. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

It remains really low?

Our next opponent is Arizona at home. They haven't won since September, and they just lost to the rams by 14 points, while we comfortably handled the Rams.

Then we play at the Jaguars who at 2-9 are tied for the second worst record in the NFL. They are 1-5 at home, where they have no home field advantage because fans don't show up to the games.

After that we play at the Titans, who are 4-7, like us. They aren't horrible, but they certainly aren't a good team. They just lost to the Jaguars.

After that we play at home against San Diego. They are another team who aren't horrible, but they aren't exactly good. They have 4 wins, but those wins have come @Kansas City, home vs. Kansas City, @ Oakland, and home against the Titans. Those are four games that you would expect any contender for the playoffs to win. Except for their game at Cleveland, they haven't really lost any games they should have won. So its hard to gage if they are really better than us. However, Rex has owned the Chargers as the coach of the Jets.

After that, we end at Buffalo. We have won 5 in a row against Buffalo, as well as four in a row at Buffalo. Their wins are home against Kansas City, @ Cleveland, @ Arizona, and home against Miami. Basically, they have won the games they should have won, lost the games they should have lost.

I get what you are saying. Predicting a team to win five in a row is asking a lot, especially this team which is a full on circus at this point. However, we are playing five bad/mediocre teams. If you made the odds for all five remaining games right now, I think you would have to make the Jets the favorites in every remaining game, so five wins isn't impossible. In fact, these are five games most people would agree the Jets should win.

11. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

We are where we were Wednesday - 2 games back of a playoff spot with 5 to play.

Do they run the table- no...but for 1 more week you have something to sheer for.

If the can beat Lindley and Henne the Monday night game against the Titans could be interesting depending on what other teams do in the next two weeks. I think that is all you can hop for as a Jet fan. No matter what this team and org is going to undergo some serious off season changes in personnel and management.

12. Sanchize0829

At least for now, the Jets are definite playoff contenders. 9-7 with a 7-5 conference record will make the playoffs in the AFC this year. That would be our record if we win out. We don't officially control our own destiny, but if we win five in a row, we will almost certainly make the playoffs. Heck, lets say we lose to Arizona this week and then win the last four, its possible that we could make the playoffs with a 8-8 record with a 7-5 conference record.

I get what you are saying about doubting that we should win five in a row. But remember that we beat the Rams pretty comfortably just a week ago, and can you really say that any remaining team on our schedule is better than the Rams? I know the Rams suck, but the remaining teams on our schedule aren't too good as well.

Besides the Miami game, can you really say that we lost to any teams that we should have beat?

13. displacedfan

I agree the Jets should win these. They should have beaten MIA the second time also. They also shouldn't have been dominated by MIA, SEA, and NE. Yes the Jets CAN win all 5, but winning 5 is not likely. That's what makes it so difficult. Add in, we are also 4-7, not a juggernaut, it makes it more unlikely. Add in that we haven't seen this team play 2 back to back good games, it looks highly unlikely. I admire your confidence, and I haven't given up on the season, but I am also not expecting playoffs.

14. Sanchize0829

What I have noticed is that when we have controlled the tempo of the game, we have won. When we haven't, we have lost. When it was a game we should win, we have controlled the tempo. When it was a game we shouldn't have won, the other team has controlled the tempo.

These five games coming up are games that we should be able to control the tempo.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

After watching the last 2 Jags games, I really don't think the JETS are winning that one. Henne is playing better than Gabbert (who was awful), Rasheen Mathis & Lowery just came back from injury (missing 5 games) and I expect MJD back for the JETS game......

I'm just hoping I don't have to sit in that stadium for the 3rd game in JAX watching the JETS get stomped by the Jax (and my brother & cousins are flying down from NY for the 3rd time also). I'd concede the rest of the games to just win this one.... maybe if Tebow is starting there will be a reverse homefield advantage :smile: :shit:

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

The Bengals are looking really good right now. I worry about them more than Steelers or Colts. Hopefully the Steelers keep losing with backup QBs. That may be our best chance. We still have to win out, though. There's no more room for error. I doubt 8-8 gets us in. The Bengals will probably reach 8-8 or better.

17. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

The funny thing is, the math actaully works out in our favor.
    If we go 9-7 we're 90% in. It's pretty much that simple.
    At 9-7 we'll have a better conference record than a 9-7 Miami, 9-7 Pittsburgh, 9-7 Cincy ... and head to head over 9-7 Indy.
    That means anything other than a two team 9-7 head to head tie with the Steelers gets us in.

Do I think we'll win the next 5 games ... NO.
    But if we do, we'll probably be travelling to NE in January to get the snot kicked out of us on national TV again.

#157 truthbtold, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  18. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

9-7 is a long way off. Hopefully we win the next game and keep this discussion going.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

As fans we all get the general concept of mathematical possibility, and it is of course true that a team that has a chance of making the playoffs is not literally out of it.

But a concept like mathematical possibility I think is a different thing five games out, requiring a team that has going back to last season lost ten of its last fourteen games to win five in a row.

The Jets might well win three, and could win four. But win all five? I frankly doubt it, and more to the point even have a hard time hoping for something that seems so improbable.

Add in the notion that there's nothing about this team that suggests they would match up well against any stronger seed even in the AFC this year. Do the homers here want to face Denver in Denver? The Texans in Houston? The Ravens at their house? Don't bother talking about other wild card candidates like the Bengals. I wouldn't want to face them at least right now, either, but the playoff seedings do not work like that in any case.

Someone above said that they would still like to have something meaningful to look forward to in January. Well, I will follow the playoffs anyway, like yesterday's very interesting game between SF and NO. And of course come January we can start to look forward to the spring. But as far as the Jets are concerned, the most realistic thing to look forward to this coming January is hopefully the appointment of Tanny's replacement, news that Tebow is gone, and maybe even that Sanchez will not be back as the starter in 13.

Now those are things I would really look forward to in January.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

It gives the fans hope. No big deal. In 2009 we were 4-6 and went on to win 5 of our last 6 games to make the playoffs. Going back to the previous year we had lost 10 of our last 15. Similar situation, yet we got it done. I know it's not likely, but it's possible. No reason to assume it's over. Any given Sunday, one game at a time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.