IND 9-5, CIN 8-6, PIT 7-7, Jets 6-7... Playoffs!?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jetdic

Jetdic Active Member

The funniest thing about the Yahoo tracker is they have the Jets making the playoffs and the Giants missing them.

2. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Basically for the Jets to make the playoffs, they need

a) To win out
    b) The Bengals to beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh
    c) The Bengals and the Steelers to lose 1 of their 2 other games (CIN plays @PHI, vs. BAL; PIT plays @DAL, vs. CLE).

It's possible but they still need a lot of luck, especially with b.

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, lots of luck. Good break down though. Pitt and Cincy ending at 9-7 like us means we MISS. Below is the last but least likely

d) IND loses out, with CIN or PITT losing 2/3. Jets make it.

4. lakersmetsjets49ers

Conference record. If the teams have the same in conference record then I think its based off of common opponents.

With all this said with all turmoil this season. Sanchez playing like shit at times, losing Holmes and Revis early this season, the humiliating home blowout losses, and of course the assfumble, to still even be remotely alive and a game out of a playoff spot is a positive.

You can get on this team for alot of things and be completely right but they haven't quit on the season when alot of teams and players would in similar circumstances and Rex hasn't lost the Locker room.

Now with that said, if Philly gets a home win Thursday night and Dallas gets a big win with them having alot to play for that Monday night game can turn this season around. I don't want to get to optimistic but things look better then they did thanksgiving night

5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I guess either we need Cinci to beat Pittsburgh on the road, and both of them to lose one of their other two games or if the Steelers beat the Bengals then they have to lose both their other games.

6. displacedfan

If 2 out of the 3 times tie play in the same division, division record is used to knock one of them out, then on the remaining 2 teams (head to head) then conference record if not played. If conference record, then similar opponents

Cincy is 1-3 in division and Pitt 2-2. That's why that Charlie Batch over BAL was such an upsetting loss to us. If Cleveland and Cincy beat Pitt for their 2 losses, we can sneak in with all 3 teams tied at 9-7.

7. lakersmetsjets49ers

The jets just need to worry about the jets. Make a play or 2 against Houston and the first New England game and what the steelers and bengals do is irrelevant.

That said Philly has been playing hard lately. They shoulda beat Dallas and they beat a decent bucs team on the road. I could see them beating the bengals

Dallas needs that game at home against Pittsburgh that's a winnable game for them

Bengals/steelers is a toss up in week 16

If Baltimore is playing for seeding I could see them playing their starters against the bengals

If the Cleveland browns keep playing the way their playing and showing improvement they got a shot to make that week 17 game in Pittsburgh a game.

8. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Under Marvin Lewis they have beaten Pittsburgh more times in Pittsburgh than in Cincy.

9. skeleton_frames

From NFL.com

OK. This is how it looks to me.

Assuming that Pittsburgh and Cincinnati both get to 9-7 WITH Cincinnati beating Pittsburgh AND Baltimore, then our head to head, based on the above would be with Cincinnati because Cincinnati's record in common games would be better.

If Cincinnati gets to 9-7 with Pittsburgh but either loses to Pittsburgh OR Baltimore, then due to tiebreakers, then we are against Pittsburgh in tiebreaker and we are out.

If we are up against Cincinnati (assuming L @ Phi, W @ Pit, @ v Bal), we'd be tied for conference record at 7-5. We tie on common games at 2-2. It would then come down to SoV which we currently hold .414 to .344.

So if Jets win out, I think they need Pit and Cin to go 1-2 or worse, or Pit go 2-1 and Cincy go 2-1 with wins against Pit and Bal.

Like it said, this is just my number crunching here, so I might have errors.

10. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I can't sit on the sidelines and not say that this is absolutely crazy, but I'd be really happy if we made it into the playoffs.

11. displacedfan

If CIN goes 2-1 and Pitt 1-2, then I think we are in according to Yahoo with Cin loss coming to BAL.

12. displacedfan

I was wrong, if Pitt loses to CIN and CLE, they have 8 losses and would only be tied with CIN if they lose their game to PHI or BAL. :grin:

This seems to be accurate and a good guide: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=home

13. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Say by some miracle they get in,then pick your poison :
    a)Killed by the Broncos
    b)demolished by the Ravens
    c)Destroyed by the Texans
    d)Obliterated by the Pats

14. displacedfan

Also, can a mod please update the title to Jets 6-7, Pitt 7-5, Cin 7-5?

15. skeleton_frames

Thanks for posting this, I think I missed a thing or two in my scenarios, but it's always fun to try and figure it out.

Only 2 out of 8 scenarios have us making it. These guys have us at 7% vs. Cincy at 47% and Pit at 41%, but hey, dare to dream.

16. displacedfan

We could beat the Texans and Ravens. I give either one about a 25% chance, so 1/4 times we beat them. The Pats and Broncos I put at 5% so 1/20 times we would beat them, but hey you never know.

17. displacedfan

Next week is big because if one of them lose and we win, we are tied with them. I bet the odds change dramatically then we head into the CIN/PITT game

18. skeleton_frames

Maybe they should sign a contract with the league guaranteeing them the trophy one year? You make a point that it would be really stiff competition if they found their way in, but if they don't make it their chances of winning are 0%.

With how this season has gone it's nothing short of a miracle they have ANY chance at this point.

19. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

I'll take the Pats on this one. We got them to overtime the first time we played them in Gillette, and hopefully buttfumble would know to learn from his mistakes.

20. Vahncase

Vahncase Well-Known Member

In order of preference

A C B D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.