IND 9-5, CIN 8-6, PIT 7-7, Jets 6-7... Playoffs!?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

we need a miracle

i did some scenarios with espn and only 1 of like 20 scenarios got us in

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I ran 2 different scenario's and 1 of the two worked. 9-7 is good enough to get in a lot of the time. I don't think this team is good enough to get there though.

3. Combustible Rextible

There are plenty of posts in this thread evaluating the Jets performance. The original premise was that the Jets win on Thanksgiving. I offered my thoughts on the question "Playoffs?". If they win out, great! I just don't see how they get to 4-0 so I disagree with the premise of the thread and offered my opinion.

4. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Played with the ESPN tool. How about this for a dream scenario. We lose next weekwith Sanchez and/or McElroy. Tebow gets healthy and wins the starting spot then takes us 3-0.

At 8-8. if enough games fall right, most teams in the race lose a lot of games and also go 8-8.

Jets play Patriots for a wildcard game in foxboro and Tebow gets his revenge for last year

Jets advance to Denver who got a buy and Tebow embarases his old team

Meanwhile at 8-8 the phins also sneak in. They easilty beat the ravens and the texans.

Giving us as Jets vs Miami AFCC in NY (ideally this would have been in Miami for a Tebow Florida homecoming but couldn't get that to work out)

Meanwhile on the other side. Giants claw there way up from the 6th seed and we have a NY vs NY superbowl...

Mostly I kid, but seriously there are enough games left that some crazy scenarios can still play out.

5. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

That's completely fair. I just think it's pretty obvious that the Jets winning 4-0 is an unlikely prerequisite to all of this discussion. That said, it's still fun (for me, at least) to see the different scenarios that would get us in the playoffs if we do go 4-0.

#365 Axel3419, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  6. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

That would be a very interesting scenario. I really like the NY vs NY superbowl.

I never thought that us winning out is more probable than everyone else losing out. Usually, it's the other way around (last year).

However, I have a special feeling about GMac. I think he's a diamond in the rough.

7. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Since the Colts have eight wins and already beat the Dolphins, it's impossible for both the Jets and the Dolphins to make the playoffs at 8-8.

8. ArmandJ

Oddly enough Giants losing may have been the best thing for us.

Cowboys are going to come out trying to get a division lead/win. For two weeks, you can bet they'll play inspired football against our AFC teams.

9. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

Then find a way to screw it up.

10. ArmandJ

They can screw up after playing Pitt.

11. kerley11

kerley11 Member

I've got another crazy scenario that I haven't seen discussed. What if the ravens lose out? I know it's unlikely, but maybe not quite as unlikely as it appears. They've got the redskins, broncos, giants and bengals. I really think the ravens are very overrated, and I think it is at least possible they lose out. Anybody know how this would affect the rest of the playoff picture? I'm really no good at working out the tie breakers and what not, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

12. BookEndTackles 72&79

Won't matter if the Ravens lose out as the tiebreaker would be conference record. They already have 8 AFC wins. Most the Jets can get is 7 if they win out.

13. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

As has been stated and is fact. When there are more than two teams tied head-to-head doesn't matter. If an 8-8 team makes it then it is almost certianly going to be a 3 or 4 way tie.

8-8 is just about as likely for the Jets to make it as 9-7.

Can the colts lose out? of course they can. Can the Steelers end up 8-8, yes.

Bottom line there are a whole bunch of mediocre teams still in the running for the two wildcard spots. All of them could end up 8-8:
    I think Jets most likley to go 8-8 given weak schedule and that still gives them a chance
    Dolphins could go 8-8
    Chargers could go and a streak and go 8-8
    Bengals and steelers can both lose 3 for sure
    Do you really think the Colts are so good that they are a lock for one more win? I don't think so; they could lose 4 in a row.

Even if one team goes 10-6 (or the colts could win out I suppose and go 11-5) there are 2 wildcards and one 9-7 or 8-8 team is VERY likely getting in. This is far from over. There are just way to many games left.

14. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

keep dreaming.

Time to start watching the Knicks man (and Rangers soon - fingers crossed)

15. kerley11

kerley11 Member

Thank you very much

16. Fleetwood

Fleetwood Member

Took some starters out? Caldwell laid down and handed that game to the Jets.

17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I don't think the Jets are going to make the playoffs, but the best chance is if all 4 teams (PITT, CINCY, IND, NYJ) finish 9-7.

In that case, the Jets would get in -- assuming Cincy beats Pitt in week 16.

18. tubby

tubby Active Member

Pretty surprising stat but though 13 weeks, the Jets have had the hardest strength of schedule with a .583.

19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

That's why it was imperative to win the games they were "supposed" to. Everyone knew the back half of their schedule was much lighter in competition.

The one game that killed them was losing to Miami at home.

20. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

100% agree. That was a huge backbreaker. They win that game and go into the bye at .500 and things look a lot different. I'd say that was the most disappointing loss of the season. Yeah we got blown out by the Pats and the 49ers but we weren't really "supposed" to win those games. All signs pointed to us being the Dolphins that game and they just came out and played like absolute garbage right from the start.

The loss to the Patriots at home was probably the second worst...mostly because we were so close on the road and they didn't have Gronk and then they curb stomp us because we handed them the ball on a silver platter so many times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.