IND 9-5, CIN 8-6, PIT 7-7, Jets 6-7... Playoffs!?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I have nyjunc's back on this one. Fans are not the smartest. Blaming all these losses on Sanchez is crazy. Most of the team and it's roster is terrible. Skill position wise? One of the worst in the league. Sanchez is an average QB at best, but the (5-7) season is not on him. Not even close. Unless the Jets had (Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees or Ben Roethlisberger) they are nothing better than (6-6) right now.

2. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

No, but I do think the Jets will go 8-8 or 7-9

3. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Take division records out of the mix. It's irrelevant to this conversation. I actually think the bengals will go 8-8 anyway, which kills us, as I just stated above ... but for this discussion lets say we all go 9-7.

As long as one of their losses is to Pitt or Balt, the Bengals would be 6-6 in the AFC.
    A 9-7 Pitt team would mean 2 more losses for them, and since they only play one NFC team, a 9-7 Pitt would also be 6-6 in the AFC.

Therefore our 7-5 AFC record would get us the 6th seed.

Now let's say the Begals losses came against Dallas and Philly, which would leave them at 7-5 in the AFC.
    In that case Pitt is eliminated with 6 conference losses, and then we would battle Cincy through the tie breakers.

#343 truthbtold, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  4. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

That's where you are wrong. Division records are the first tie break within a division. If Pitt and Cincy both finish 9-7 a tie break must be issued between them FIRST. Therefore if pitt has a better div record than Cincy they go ahead. They would then have the tie break against the jets in head to head

5. truthbtold

EDIT: DAMN! You might be right. We're screwed.

#345 truthbtold, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.
    1.If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
    2.If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs
    1.Head-to-head, if applicable.
    2.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    4.Strength of victory.
    5.Strength of schedule.
    6.Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    7.Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8.Best net points in conference games.
    9.Best net points in all games.
    10.Best net touchdowns in all games.
    11.Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
    1.Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
    2.Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    4.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    5.Strength of victory.
    6.Strength of schedule.
    7.Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8.Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9.Best net points in conference games.
    10.Best net points in all games.
    11.Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12.Coin toss

7. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

You're wrong here bro. First tie break is the get one team from the division

8. truthbtold

Yes ... I just edited. Too bad for us.
    And by the way ... really stupid in my opinion. If three teams are tied for a conference wildcard spot, then they really should look at how each team did in the conference before they look at anything else. The hierarchy seems pretty dumb to me.

9. Jerseyboyisback

Jerseyboyisback New Member

Lets hope that the bengals beat the steelers than and end up 9-7 and not 8-8......I really think they lose to dallas and ravens and maybe even philly which would not be good for us cause than we would lose tie breaker to steelers

10. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Simple thing to want:

Hope every team in front of us loses shortly after we win.

That should be the goal for this week. Do that, and we're a game out of a wildcard spot.

Replicate that next week, and BAM. We're tied for a wildcard spot.

From there, we want the Bengals to beat the Steelers and for us to win.

From there, we want everyone to lose, and us to win. We get in at 9-7 and the Bengals get in as 8-8.

11. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

If Ben doesn't come back, anything is possible. The Steelers played their minds out last night but I don't think that streak will continue IMO. For the next few weeks I'm a Chargers fan (until we play them), a Cowboy's fan and a Brown's fan (and of course a Texan's and Titan's fan...until we play them).

12. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

We aren't making the playoffs.

Friend works for the Jets, and they know it 'aint happening.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I highly doubt the Jets make it but WTF does your friend working for the Jets have to do with anything?

14. Combustible Rextible

The offense has scored 1 touchdown or less in 8 of 12 games this year and the current options at QB are an ass fumbler, a guy with a couple busted ribs and a guy with 29 passing yards this season. My dog is more likely to cook an omelette than the Jets are to make the playoffs.

15. ArmandJ

Can people stop bringing up McElroy's 29 passing yards? It's not like that was his total yardage for all 4 quarters.

Shit...

16. Axel3419

Bring this discussion to another thread.

This thread is about whether the Jets (ASSUMING they go 4-0) have a chance at the playoffs, not the Jets performance at all or even the Jets' games.

17. ArmandJ

Oddly enough, we have a greater chance of going 4-0 than for 1 of the 3 teams ahead of us to completely collapse.

I still think we make it though. I have a really good feeling about this.

Colts vs Texans twice. I personally think that's two losses right there. Kansas City is playing pretty inspired as well.

Cincy is also likely to collapse considering they play Dallas, Pitt, and Baltimore.

Just curious: If Colts, Pitt, and us were to go 9-7, would we be getting in?

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

You guys are like Charlie Brown getting ready to kick that ball to the moon! :shit:

19. Axel3419

We would, based on the win percentage in AFC conference games. Since no one is in the same division, the first thing they look at is at conference wins and we would only have 5 losses compared to 6 and 6.

I tested it on this: http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

20. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

The hardest part is going 4-0. Lets make the wild assumption we do that. Then according to my thinking

Colts need to go 1-3, Cincy 2-2, Pitt 1-3. Where you pick 2 out of the 3 from happening. We might sneak in if Pitt goes 2-2 and Indy 1-3 though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.