In defense of Zach Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bleedgreen, Oct 17, 2022.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

It has been a long time since we had a quarterback bad enough to take us deep into the playoffs.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

James,

it wasn't Sanchez who took us to playoffs man. Come on now. :) Read Noam's post again. Solid defense. solid offensive line was the reason we made it to the postseason in those 2 years. And the first one was due to Bengals resting their starters in the last game of the season.

3. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Like you said he hasn't even played one full season, so hopefully we are way closer to his floor than ceiling. I am very up and down on him, but I think if he starts taking what is in front of him, it will open up a lot later in games. There were open throws underneath and on check downs in the 1st half that he didn't take against the packers. People are praising that pass to Davis, but it was under thrown and lucky to have been caught.

On the other side; 4th qtr. against Pittsburgh, most of the Miami game, he's not turning the ball over, and most importantly 3-0 since he came back...t's very hard to argue against that.

Jets79, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  4. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Well stated, as these are my key concerns... his accuracy, the overthinking, & when he needs to carry the team on his back. Too often, his ball placement leaves a lot to be desired. The only time he seems to be dead on, is when he plays fast, & doesn't have time to overthink... drop back, set, & pass, the rhythm thing I've mentioned b4. All QBs have their rhythm, but the athletic ones like Zach, seem to depend on it more (when in the pocket).
    As for carrying the team, he finally showed that in Pittsburgh, & hopefully, we'll see more of it, in the next couple of weeks, as Ds place more emphasis on stopping the running game. I want to see MLF start games no-huddle, & try to get Zach & the O to play fast.

Jets79, NCJetsfan and Acad23 like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've always respected your opinions even when I didn't agree with them, but if you're saying that Sanchez was better than Zach - even this early version of Zach - I think you're being obtuse.

I actually don't think Sanchez was as bad as Norm laid out, but I won't split hairs over the fact that he was mediocre at his very best. That team carried him, not the other way around. The problem was that Rex - who knew nothing about QB evaluation and development - thought Sanchez was a good QB.

I was also going to say that if Sanchez is Zach's floor, we'll be good, but the fact is that unless he gets hurt and his arm and mobility are taken away, he's never going to sink that low. His main issues right now are timing - holding onto the ball too long which affects his mechanics which affects his accuracy - but these are all things that can improve over time, and indeed we've seen improvement. What valid reason is there to think that he won't continue to improve? In fact, from Day 1 he has improved.

Believe what you want to believe.

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  6. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

People are praising that pass to Davis, but it was under thrown and lucky to have been caught.
    Like a thousand other passes I have seen in my life. On the run out of the pocket. He did what he needed to do when he had to do it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Packers game went an interesting way for Zach. The first half neither QB could do anything, which happens a lot in the NFL. The second half the Jets get the lead on a drive where Zach was starting to look good with back to back completions to Corey Davis. Then they get a blocked punt TD. All of a sudden it is 17-3. Then 24-10. At that point, you want to run the ball to get out of Lambeau as fast as possible. The run game was working really well. That's it. Jets win 27-10. I think he was fully capable of throwing it more if he needed to, but the Jets literally needed him to do the opposite. He managed it all really well. Solid performance. No need to defend him.

8. James Hasty

So the ball magically threw itself to the receivers and handed itself off to the running backs.

I am not saying Mark Sanchez was the second coming of Joe Namath but compared to the bums that followed in his wake he did a damn fine job.

After a terrible rookie year and only three games into his second season Zach Wilson has a lot more to prove before I would put him ahead of a guy who started four straight years during one of the best times to be a Jet fan.

Our supporting cast isn't all that bad right now.

I don't think any QB had had the kind of TE play we have now since the days of Mickey Shuler.

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

47 yards in the air with a flick of the arm [​IMG]

cval likes this.
  10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You got me yearning for the days of Mark Sanchez's outstanding QB play!

11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

and i believe it was 3rd and a million too ... there was almost no chance at converting that play

such a terrible play call

12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I guess we won't agree with you James. This is my last word. In those years, if we had a middle of the pack QB like Nick Foles, or Matthew Stafford or Matt Ryan we would have won the Superbowl. Have little sympathy for Mark Sanchez really.

bicketybam likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

For the majority of Zach's playing time, with the exception of these past 3 games - meaning all of 13 other games he's played so far - his supporting cast was terrible. Now that he has a very good supporting cast, guess what? He's playing much better.

Let's set aside the hypotheticals of "Well if Zach played on the teams Sanchez did" or vice versa, and simply look at the reality:

- Zach has shown steady improvement since Day 1.
    - Zach has played most of his limited career with less than NFL quality talent.
    - When provided decent talent, Zach has performed well.

Given those facts, why do you continue to refuse to believe that he will fail to realize his universally regarded talent?

If you want to say, "Well until he does realize it, it's just speculation, not fact", okay, fine. But you've gone further than that and said "He's worse than one of the worst QBs we've ever had", based upon a sample size of 16 games, 13 of which were played with sub-NFL talent around him. And even now, in these last 3 games, while the talent is miles better than last year, much of it is young and still learning too, not fully experienced like the Sanchez teams were.

You're comparing apples to oranges and not even making fruit salad.

NCJetsfan, Noam and bicketybam like this.
  14. James Hasty

Calling Matthew Stafford a middle of the road QB does not do the man justice.

It isn't his fault he got drafted by the Lions.

ouchy likes this.
  15. James Hasty

What facts?

You are basing all of this on three games?

That is just insane.

16. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

When we score 27 & 40 points & we're winning, and ZW is just doing what he has to do when he needs to, how can you complain. Can't wait till they hit their stride like the defense seems to have done these past few weeks.

17. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Zach is not at a point where Lafleur trusts him throw it a bunch of times. That's fine, Zach in small doses is doing exactly what he needs to do and we are winning. If the Jets continue winning this will remain the same will keep pounding the ball, and Zach will make throws here and there. Overall, Zach has been fine with me, but that might be more to do with the team success. Eventually there might be a point were Zach is gonna throw ball a bunch but I don't see that happening in the next few weeks. Stick to script we have now.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

What's a QBs best friend ? A good running game and a strong defense to keep the score close.

I feel more confident in Zach and this team than I have in years..and considering how dark siding I usually post well...

Please God..don't let me regret this Post lol

NCJetsfan and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  19. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

You've taken that step, and that's all anyone can ask lol.

20. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

He hasn't been put into too many positions were the team needed to rely on his arm other than the steelers game. That was really the only time since the jets were down by 10 and he made clutch throws in the 4th quarter that helped the team win. Against Miami, the team was trading blows until the 4th quarter when the Jets just started blowing the dolphins out, so they didn't need him to play hero ball. Same thing against the packers when the run game was dominating in the 2nd half.

I guess we will need to see how he plays whenever the run game is shutdown by the opposing defense and the Jets need to play catch up.