In 2008 when the Jets traded for 38 years old Brett why did the media call it a publicity stunt?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, May 14, 2020.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

2. jetophile

I get to use this twice in a row? Life is good.

3. jetophile

Too late. "You have received a new private message from MaximusD163". Don't do it, man.

TwoHeadedMonster and K'OB like this.
  4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

We're tied for 1st with the Giants in stadium seats. Who knew NFL teams sell out most games?

I do agree with you. It's hard to believe our management has made all these moves to field an uncompetitive team just to sell seats. Unless its very profitable to get fans to rotate their jersey purchases every year.:mad::mad:

LF911SC likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

DARE YOU :D:D:D

6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I've been a season ticket holder since 77.

There will never be the sales in advance and waiting lists of back in the day. Its too easy to pay a premium for 5 regular season games, skip the preseason and go to 5 prime games. The internet changed the ticket sales outlet

7. LF911SC

The list was long because there was no internet and the seats in the stadium where taken by actual loyal fans, not people looking to early profits from sales etc. Its a different market.
    They sell out, exactly. Nevermind ticket sales are probably the least profitable part of the business after TV revenue. NFL teams without selling a ticket operate profitably

8. LF911SC

Why because I believe Westhoff? Rex and Tanny? Weshoff has said, they brought him in thinking he would add to specials and that he could be the change of pace WildCat player. Then he said when Tebow first came in the coaches, everyone of them couldn't believe how terrible he was and it was decided he wasn't going to play. And he didnt

Tebow sucked. Yes he did. Thats what he didnt play. I know that doesnt fit the theory that we actually need to sell a handful of tickets to a bunch of Jesus Freaks

#48 LF911SC, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  9. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

I don't really remember it being called a publicity stunt

What I do recall was folks saying how difficult it will be for Mangini to bring Favre up to speed with the Jets offense. The Jets were known to be a talented roster at that point...not NFL elite or anything but good talent on the cusp of competing. Favre would either take them to the next level or crash and burn. People sort of felt Favre's tenure here wouldn't be long.

LF911SC likes this.
  10. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Yep, this is what I recall as well. It was already preseason time, and I think they had already played a game or were about to at the time of the trade. It was a good move at the time, decent team and no QB. You had Clemens and Chad battling it out, and at the time Clemens was ahead of chad on the depth chart. Sadly, Chad was coming injury and the team lost confidence in his health.

Hindsight being 20/20, we all know Chad had a great comeback season for the Dolphins and Brett was the one to get injured :/. Everything was going as planned until that damn Broncos game and the wheels fell off.

LF911SC likes this.
  11. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

Very painful year overall. Chad did have a great year too and stuck it to us but predictably his body fell apart immediately thereafter.

Though a full strength Favre on a 2009 Jets team? That could've been good enough to take us to the Super Bowl. Heck we almost made it with a terrible Mark Sanchez. Favre just didn't want to be in New York anymore.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  12. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

That's a great clip from Gigi, a wonderful musical. Getting Favre was a front office move. Mangini had no idea. They also traded Pennington to Miami and his club made the playoffs. I can't forget the talk radio geniuses led by Benigno who were all for it. "I remember it well".

13. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

Yea we definitely should've made sure Pennington was traded out of the division (out of conference if possible)

hornblower likes this.
  14. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Cliff!!

15. LF911SC

He was still under contract with GB, not sure what was left on the deal, think it was multi[le years. GB owned him and they wouldnt release him. The deal was worked out and the Packers put the poison pill that the Jets were not allowed to trade him to the Vikes. After the year with the Jets was over he was supposedly not sure if he would play, Rex was hired, lots of unknowns, he retired. Tanny screwed up, he should have held onto his rights so he could get the lost picks back if Favre but he had released him, leaving the Vikes free to negotiate and ultimately sign Favre