In 2008 when the Jets traded for 38 years old Brett why did the media call it a publicity stunt?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, May 14, 2020.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Oh no they didnt. They replaced a beat up Chad Pennington with a QB that they thought gave them a better chance of winning. Negative Nancy Jets fans complain and whine.
    Pennington the year before threw for 1700+ yards
    Favre the year before threw for 4100+ yards
    Jets fan, its a publicity stunt? OK

#21 LF911SC, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    FJF likes this.
  2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I have some premier bangers and mash let me tell you.

jetophile and K'OB like this.
  3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Favre was on pace to hit 32 TDs and 21 INTs that year before he got hurt. That was a fun year.

The Dark Knight, LF911SC and JetBlue like this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I'm going to have to take your word for that my friend, no pictorial evidence is required :eek:

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

This could possibly be one of the worst threads I've seen here - excluding DWC of course.

Nobody was calling it a "publicity stunt". Maybe some blogger or shit stirrer somewhere, but the far majority of people understood the move at the time.

"I remember it well" haha ok guy. Prove it. Link the articles. If not stfu and go away.

6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I can't seem to find any articles but I remember.

The Giants had won the Super Bowl the season before, Jets were coming off a horrible season and many (all?) in the media were kept in the dark about this trade. Many didn't give the Jets any chance to trade for him I remember one saying the trade wasn't going to happen the same day it happened.

They viewed it as a desperate attempt to steal the spotlight from the Giants.

7. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Huh?????? Are you kidding? PSL's man! PSL's! That's what it was about. It was the PSL push. The next wiz-bang marketing idea was Tebow. Both worked out great :eek:

8. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

We're in the top 5 attendance wise, with or without PSLs forever. Im not getting the comment.
    The Favre and Tebow for publicity has been proven wrong by all involved. Of course the naysayers will cry BS so there's no point to win here.

9. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Well, the PSL sales was huge business for both NY teams back then. Woody was as desperate for sizzle as he's ever been. I don't know how you couldn't see that, unless you were either not in this area at the time, or probably not a Jets season ticket holder then. There was no guarantee for him at that time that the continued sell-outs was going to keep happening in the new, overhyped, overpriced MetLife. There are other venues on GG.com for this discussion so I'll leave it.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Yup we were absolutely in the hunt for a first round bye until Favre hurt his shoulder. That team looked so good at that point. Favre hurts his shoulder and the team finished the season like a whipped dog.

11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Was one of my favorite years as a Jets fan until Favre got hurt. I remember I used to go to a bar with a big group of guys every Sunday to watch the games and it was such a good time when they were looking like an elite team that could put up tons of points.

As much success as the Jets had those two years with Rex, the team was always so inconsistent because of the offense (esp. Sanchez). As great as it was to watch Revis Island and Rex's aggressive defense, the offense was very inconsistent and could be very frustrating. The Favre year for the first 11 weeks seemed like the only year I can remember since 98 that the Jets were exciting on both sides of the ball.

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Still manage to complain, haha, c'mon. Almost every move that every team makes is to sell tickets. That's just a regular old fact of life. To say the Johnsons have no such motives is ridiculous. I can attest to this specifically because after 55 years as a STH I told them to kiss my ass. The Jets FO proceeded to hound me to buy back in after treating me like garbage since 2009. It was only after I left that they gave a shit. Which of course, in reality, they don't give a shit at all.

Before The New Dump the waiting list was 10 miles long. That had been going on for YEARS. Now you can buy season tickets with or without a PSL or buy anything in any section with a bunch of different options anytime you like. Oh, and that waiting list has long since left port.

There have been mass defections and some of those people came back for 1/4 to 1/3 the price on their own as well as the Jers FO making desperation offers that they would never have made in the past.

They'll sell out, sure, and they have, but you're only giving one half of the picture. I'm still sticking by it about my tickets comment. I realize that owning the Jets is like owning a pet hamster to the Johnsons, but it's still disingenuous to say that at least some of it is not about selling tickets.

Add to the fact that if attendance dropped to 10,000 they would still be making money hand-over-fist on interest alone, which is why they bought the team. You know, to make money.

13. jetophile

No, and it's past tense, so not do, did. I already said that. It wasn't my doing, though. A friend of mine Brett Pevre'd me with them before they were purged from the internet. I didn't know what it was until it was too late. I opened it because he put an innocuous title in the subject line. Not that cock and balls are anything to write home about in the first place, to be clear, but hell no on Brett Pevre. This is coming from someone who does a fair amount of life-drawing, but let me also be clear that that's a completely different animal in spirit, theory, and practice.

Anyway, the Rams game comes to mind because that was a hell of a lot of fun (of course I was there), and the Cheats game where Pevre hillbilly yelled, "Fck, yeah! Woooo!" walking into the tunnel after winning. Pretty much the only two fun moments of any lasting impact.

Then there was the Seattle game: "Snow Joke" on the front page of The New York Post. Injured or no, I could have won that game with my fucking foot. I drop-kicked that paper in the convenience store. I bought it first, just sayin'.

14. jetophile

Well done, LMFAO.

15. jetophile

I already addressed this is as rationally as possible. Probably distantly related 100 times removed.

16. jetophile

Is this a joke? You're just trolling now. Unless you mean "it was proven wrong by all involved" because Tim Tebow sucks and it failed miserably.

17. jetophile

The New Dump is a masterpiece of architectural design for a surprisingly low comparative cost. Two venues sharing ass cheeks for the same imaginary events that never appeared, like gorillas in the mist, such vision. I'm just helping him finish something he clearly left out in his haste.

18. jetophile

I think it's my old Jets FO rep. Nick is that yoooouuuu.

19. jetophile

Not to worry. It's taken a good good left turn, about to head off a cliff with nothing but rocks below. No water, no rushing sea. Just rocks

J-Raw24 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  20. jetophile

Toughest son of a bitch I ever met.

FJF likes this.