I'm Seeing Ghosts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 22, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know that we haven't always seen eye to eye, but I think we have agreed more this year than we ever have. I feel your pain. You have been a great, optimistic, hopeful fan even when most everyone else was pessimistic. I respect you for that. Hang in there.

Gase did nothing to calm Sam, to help the team. Even though the Pats were up 24-0, Belicheat was actively coaching his team. What was Gase doing? Standing by himself on the sidelines, passionless, lost in his thoughts. He needs to go. He is not a HC. He is not even an OC or QB Coach imo. If he were, Sam wouldn't have played so scared and terribly last night, but even if he had, Gase would have benched him for his own benefit and played Fales. Even with no snaps in practice, I don't think Fales could have played that badly. Gase should have called his offense together, got in their faces and read them the riot act. I would have said the whole team, but we all know he doesn't have anything to do with the D.

The game plan was poor. It was like it hinged on Thomas getting revenge on the Pats. Crowder was an afterthought. Did Anderson even catch one pass? How many passes did Bell catch? Was a RB screen ever called? I did see a bunch of Gase's patented WR screens and routes short of the 1st down markers that all failed miserably. I did see a bunch of runs on 1st downs and don't recall seeing a single pass on 1st down in the 1st half (that's all I could stomach). Gase had nothing. That's inexcusable. When Falk was playing at least that seemed like an excuse. I'm starting to think that under a different HC, OC and QB Coach that Falk may not look so bad. Darnold looked worse than Falk last night. There's no way that should happen and no way his QB rating should be 3.6.

GASE MUST GO!

Gase's decision to defer to the Pats was beyond awful. The Jets' only chance last night was to score first, build some confidence on their opening drive. That would have helped fire up the D. Deferring and letting the Pats have the first opportunity to score was beyond moronic.

2. NCJetsfan

I agree with all you said except for your comment about Matt Rhule. He would not have succeeded here.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Football is a team sport. Clearly the O-line was terrible. Clearly Gase was outmatched and did not adjust. Clearly Brady dominated the Jets Defense. Clearly Sam is 2 weeks out from having Mono. Blaming him for the loss is crazy. What Jets fans should be doing is blaming everyone else for leaving their young Franchise QB out to dry. Pathetic. He had a bad night, but he had a lot of help in doing so..........

FJF and SOJAZ like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

Yes, but more likely, it was out of a lack of respect for Gase, the Jets' OL, and knowing that Sam wouldn't be expecting that or know how to handle it.

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

The part that makes me sick is that we have become the very thing I have despised in sports living in Miami.

I don't have the luxury of hiding behind a group of homers. Majority of my friends and some of my family are die hard Dolphin fans. I used to laugh at the whole "next year" comments they make. I used to think, "how are you a fan of a franchise that is so pathetic".

I watch these games knowing that I am a minority in my support for this team.

I'm so sick of defending the indefensible. I'm so sick of constantly losing and constantly becoming a disappointment. And now, I have become the one thing I hate. I have become the same thing as any Dolphin fan. "Next year"

This disgusts me. And I truly am ashamed at the product this franchise has continued to put out on that field.

6. The Dark Knight

Yeah, the Jets have made it really difficult for upbeat and positive fans since 2012. (Obviously since 1969 really, but you get my point) You want to support and believe in the team and this is how they treat us. Just awful. I am not sure "Next year" is how I feel though. I wish. I'm thinking this is a multi-year rebuild still and Sam's complete rookie deal will be wasted. Shame. I just hope they don't ruin him. He is a great QB talent and a wonderful kid. Jamal Adams is one of the best players in the NFL, and you just get this feeling he wants out and eventually will leave. Another terrible moment for Jets fans, if that happens. Again, I wish I was thinking "next year". Instead, I am thinking "Probably never". And like I posted in another thread: losing hope and just watching to watch, is a terrible and sad way to be a fan. That is the position the Jets have put their fans in though, unfortunately.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Is he? I've seen great QB talents have bad games, but I've never seen anyone look this lost, even in just one game, and turn out to be good.

NCJetsfan and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Jets81, SOJAZ, PabloJa and 4 others like this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

It sucks for Darnold. But the world isn't fair. In the business and media worlds, people (Mehta himself as much as anyone) will try to humiliate you any chance they can. Either bounce back from it and make it all a fond memory in a couple years from now. Or fold under the pressure because you never had what it takes anyway.

Wahoo and dawinner127 like this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

With the exception of Brees (and even Brees early in his career), all those QBs were from a different era where the defense had a lot more leeway. And it wasn't just the interceptions. Winston just threw 5 INTs in a game, but he also moved the football. Darnold could do nothing right.

12. The Dark Knight

You could look at it the other way: 22, coming off mono, terrible team around him, terrible offensive game plan with 0 adjustments, going up against a historically great defense with one of the best defensive minds ever: So it literally will never be worse for Sam in his career. :)

Andy_M and SOJAZ like this.
  13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Last nights game was a complete cluster fuck. The good thing about this game is the team either gets some focus and turns this thing around or the wheels come off completely and we restart with a new coaching staff next year.

My concern about Sam is how bad his fundamentals throwing mechanics looked.. I understand the pressure he was under and the confusion. The breakdown of his basic throwing mechanics was a little hard to watch. I saw Namath have some putrid games full of INT's. He still was throwing the ball with a solid foundation. He looked great stinking it up. Darnold looked like shit stinking it up.

14. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

The idea that “it’s ok that this guy sucked because other guys have sucked” is a tired Jet fan mantra. It’s not just the 4 intos, it’s the poor mechanics and lousy decision making. It’s concerning in any context

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Optimist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Horrible game.
    I'm glad Sam seen the coverage and schemes. Hopefully this will make him a better qb. As much as I want to see Sam light it up every week, I know he is still learning. So if Sam can pick up things from Pat's Defense, then it made him a better qb.
    In the long run I dont care if we lost 50-0, as long as it made Sam a better, smarter, complete Qb... Then it's a learning lesson, and I will take it.

Going forward this should help Sam's career, but you know what would help a lot more? A competent Oline! Man we cant have Sam looking out for untouched defenders, that will screw any qbs head. Fix the Oline asap.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Agreed but I saw lots of throws that were so mechanically poor it really made me wonder WTF did we draft. 22 and talent isn't the same thing as 22 and a polished passer who doesn't know what he's seeing or throwing into.

NCJetsfan, The Dark Knight and Wahoo like this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Agreed. Yes there were a lot of problems around Sam.

But you cant play QB in the NFL if your constantly hopping around in the pocket.
    Plant your feet and play QB Sam.

19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm seeing ghosts, too. 'We Will Defeat the Patriots'. Schizoid much?

20. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I agree but 2 things can be true at the same time. One, the NFL screwed up by airing the comment. Two, Darnold has to bounce back.

In all honesty there should be no shame in what Darnold said. He was going against a historically great defense, that is coached by an absolute genius. Darnold is 22. Is it that surprising he has a really bad game? There isn't a quarterback in the league who hasn't been rattled in a game before. Not one.

SOJAZ and HomeoftheJets like this.