I'm reading that Von Miller might be on the trade block

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by WarriorRB28, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Wide Receiver.

Only because this draft should have a great group of receivers. I'd focus on OL in round 2. We should be able to get a big time impact reviever with our first pick

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That’s not true at all. 1 pick is worth 1 player. Flipping it for a proven commodity is actually wiser than rolling the dice. Not sure I would trade for v Miller but I would absolutely trade a 1 for say jalen Ramsey

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sorry, but I disagree with this. This team is far more needy than one player. Rolling the dice hoping that one guy can suddenly turn an entire team into a juggernaut is foolish and delusional. We have (I hope), a competent GM and hopefully, he doesn't believe in quick fixes. What JD needs is as many high round DP's as he can stockpile. Let some other contender who is one player away make this deal.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This.

Realistically we are looking at another top 5 pick, with being the first pick in the draft still a possibility.

When was the last time we had a trade back that netted us a major package? We've had how many drafts now where we should've traded back to acquire more picks, but sat pat, and took the best DL available?

I'm a big fan of BPA too, but when your roster is complete trash, accumulating as many picks, then going BPA is still an option. Good teams do it, year in, and, year out.

I'm not overly optimistic with JD. Simply because I don't trust anything the Johnson's do, ever, anymore. I do hope they eventually get this thing right, JD being the real deal, for once, at GM. Would go a long ways.

We are about to find out soon enough.

5. FJF

You’re not rolling the dice hoping he turns the franchise around. You are acquiring a player for the cost of the pick. The same price you pay to acquire a rookie and hope he turns to be what Ramsey already is. Not sure how exercising the pick in May is better.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd be willing to give up a 1 for Ramsey if he was the final piece to making us a Super Bowl contender. But, that's clearly not the case, so I'm holding onto it to address the OL or WR.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. FJF

I can’t get on board with this rigid ,shopping list strategy . We may not be just an elite corner away from winning but we are definitely an elite corner away from winning. You take what’s available when it’s available.
    The problem we have here is we have missed on so many non 1st round picks we have just accepted that we can’t acquire players after that. It won’t matter if Douglas drafts the next dbrick with next years 1st or trades it away for Ramsey if he can’t hit on any picks after it in the next draft we will be having the same conversation in 2 years.

KurtTheJetsFan and TonyFtLaud like this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Unlike Miller, I can understand trading for Ramsey because he's only 24. But he's going to cost a lot more money than a first round pick on a rookie deal.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. FJF

the cap can be manipulated when teams want to . When they don’t want to pay the cap is a convenient excuse .

10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Fans way over value draft picks. Only 53% of first round picks have a successful career and that doesn't mean pro bowl type careers.
    Giving up a pick for a player like Ramsey, one of the best ,if not the best player at his position should be a no brainer.
    Fans will argue with scenarios like what if he gets injured, what if the player drafted with that pick is an MVP type player. Odds are that pick will be an average starter like Leo and 1/2 the fan base will want him cut.

FJF likes this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Shouldn't a team with holes all over the roster keep as many picks as possible? Especially when there's a good chance that we'll pick high enough to land a top OL or WR prospect? Both of which are big needs for us and it's shaping up to be a deep class for both.

#51 CotcheryFan, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  12. TonyFtLaud

If you can acquire a player who is a perennial pro bowler for a pick, you aquire that player. Especially if that player fills one of the many holes on the roster.
    I'm not advocating for Miller. But saying in general.
    This draft is pretty deep at WR, and has 4 quality tackles.
    We're going to play 10 very winnable games to end the season. The reality is the top LT and WR will be gone before we draft.
    Either way, you take the 100% guarantee over a 50-50 chance your draft pick reaches the same level of play as a guy like Ramsey.

FJF likes this.
  13. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

I get this, and I dont entirely disagree. With that said, I dont entirely agree either. Rather, I can see another side.

Let's say we wind up having a top 3 pick right? We could theoretically trade that down for a later first and another later pick. If GMJD knows what he is doing than hypothetically we could acquire two starters (OL/WR?) over one CB, despite how good that CB is.

That's devil's advocate though, because I do believe that it would be just as good a move as rolling the die on a draft pick. The only way drafting would be leaps and bounds a better decision is if you use that pick to acquire a greater amount of picks.

14. TonyFtLaud

Unfortunately, we always seem to get that one meaningless win that puts us at 6 or lower and out of the ideal position to trade back for a haul.
    Also the further back you trade, the less likely you are to hit on your picks.
    I don't believe this roster is as bad as the current record. There was alot of talent added in the off-season. On both sides of the ball.
    I think the W's will come in bunches over the final 10 weeks. If they find, a trade for a player vs draft pick will be the least of our concerns.

JerzeJets likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's not necessarily true. Go back to the Darnold draft...in that case one pick for the Colts was equal to 4. If the Jets continue their SOJ season, they'll likely have a Top 3 pick, and with the QBs coming out - assuming the Jets don't want one of them - they should be able to receive multiple picks in return for theirs.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with you about the value of a single draft pick, BUT...if that pick can net you multiple high picks in return that changes the value structure. If the Jets continue losing, they'll have a very high pick, maybe top 3, which they could likely turn into 4 high picks. Given their number of holes, I'd go with that rather than trying to fill one hole, even if it is a glaring need.

17. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I don't particularly like BPA. We've been doing it for about 10 years and have gotten exactly jack shit out of that philosophy. I don't believe that there really is a such thing as "best player available", and different teams have different conclusions as to who that may be. It's way too subjective, especially in the first round, and ESPECIALLY when you're in the top 10. We passed on Todd Gurley, Vic Beasley, and Melvin Gordon in 2015 because Leonard Williams was the "best player available", even though at the time we had Mohammad Wilkerson, Damon Harrison, and Sheldon Richardson, and we NEEDED a running back and an edge rusher. In 2017, we passed on Patrick fucking Mahomes because Jamal Adams was rated as the "best player available" despite the fact that we were in DIRE need of a QB with only McCown as our starter.

It should not be best player available. It should be "player who will most improve the team," because that's often not the consensus best player, and the best player may be a poor fit. We've got gaping holes all over this team because we've had GMs who have done nothing but go for low hanging fruit and ignore great prospects who didn't have quite the "fantasy rating" as the supposed BPA, but who would have been a huge, Pro Bowl level (and, in the case of Mahomes, MVP level) upgrade. I know a lot of people here like to do the sour grapes thing and say that the great players we passed over would have been busts with us. But you can't really look at who we DID draft and really say that we've made the right decisions at all this decade.

18. TonyFtLaud

Your dreaming, the Jets are not turning 1 pick into 4 high picks.
    Every year the same fantasy scenario is posted, and we end up picking 6th or later, out of position to make that lucrative trade back.

FJF likes this.
  19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Teams that are contending for playoffs give up 1st rd picks for players like Von Miller. Teams that are contending for the 1st pick in the draft hold on to those 1st rd picks and try to acquire more picks.

Which team are we?

20. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Compounding that would be that if he were actually ON the Jets he would never get to face the Jets offensive line. Which is so bad its the equivalent of a bye/rest week. So things would get even harder on his aging body.