I'm getting worried about Mo

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GWjet, May 19, 2015.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

At this point it is far too early to predict the list of FA or trade Qb's next off season. We can say as a general matter two things, though.

The first is that as for any deal it would depend on the overall cost. Obviously.

The second point I would make about your post is you seem to be suggesting that what you call 100M Qb's do not generally win SB's. If you mean to say highly paid Qb's do not make a difference in your SB chances, I would disagree, as a general matter. Overall, better Qb's make more money, and better Qb's raise your chances of winning an SB. Not really sure what your piont is there.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

My point is I want to go through the draft to find a QB. I follow college football a lot, there are potentially at least 3 pro prospects at the QB position that could be very good at the next level.

There are some veteran QBs, I am not throwing major money at. Andy Dalton (100M) is getting paid big time money and hasn't proved his worth in the post-season. Same with Kaepernick who hasn't been the same since they went to the SB.

Better QBs make better money, I agree - but I think it is in the best interest of the Jets to find a QB through the draft, pay the rookie scale and field the best team possible as that gives us the best chance to win.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

good post and fair view point..

Willis was a stud, and should get into Canton imo. one of the best i've ever seen. he could bang with the Guards and Fullbacks, and also run like a FS. Amazing talent.
    Bowman and D Johnson are very solid players, but missed last season with injuries.
    Timmons and Dansby are similar players to Harris imo. stout at the point of attack, solid all around game, but you wouldn't want them in any sort of man on man coverage situation. there aren't many 3-4 ILB's who will excel in that situation.

Harris disrupting screens is a good illustration of his skills.
    Still has the range to get out to the flat, but it's his football IQ and field vision which enables him to get there quickly.
    keying on the RB is generally what he'll be asked to do. get out to the flat, cover the short middle, or rush the QB depending on formation, down and distance, and what the RB does.
    like you said, with this new secondary behind him, i don't see him being asked to do a whole lot more on 3rd downs. certainly not covering slot WR's or these WR type TE's.
    with this Dline and secondary, i think he'll be very effective with his overall game.

also as you mentioned, there were no better options in FA. He was the top ILB FA target.
    i thought the combination of guarantees plus annual salary was a little high, but losing him would create a huge hole in our otherwise incredibly stout D. now we'll pay him well for 2 years, and he'll retire a Jet. hopefully he doesn't lose a step over these 2 seasons.

agreed next year will be the right time to draft a guy and develop them to take over the role.
    i don't see Erin Henderson making the team. think Joe Mays is a better player, and can be trusted more in coverage should Harris really struggle there.
    then there is Taiwan Jones too, who i suspect has a strong PS squad chance, and could even be that future option provided he can show more than thumping ability. will have to wait and see with him. one of the guys i'll be looking for this camp.

4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Let's take a step back from this Harris coverage nonsense.

Since when is the mlb solely responsible for a coverage? If he is, outside of the flat or short middle, something has gone vastly wrong.

His job more often than not in pass coverage is to hold his zone, stick the rb, or rub a receiver off his route. This pass completion dumbass number does not take a variety of obvious issues we had last year into account.

His job is to qb the front 7, hit the right gap, made a clean read, take the correct angle and get to the qb.

With 123 tackles last year and 5.5 sacks he did perfectly fine. More than fine, in his role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#164 TurkJetFan, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Harris isn't a bad player, and that's not the point I was trying to make. The point is that people tried to defend him in coverage, which he is pretty bad at.

There were no better options on the market to play the run as effectively as he does but that doesn't just turn around and make him someone that can be relied upon in coverage.

6. BacktoQueens

keep Harris within 10 yds of the LOS, against any down or distance, and he'll be effective.

that's why a brand new coaching staff made it a point to re-sign him, and why many other teams were inquiring.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Harris is a slightly overpaid tackling machine that will help stop the run but could be exposed as a liability in coverage without help. If our defense does its job he will not be matched up one on one with RBs and TEs in the flat.

If Cromartie or a safety can swoop in with a couple of pick sixes teams will be afraid to throw over the middle on the off chance that they can catch Harris out of position.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  8. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

/debate

9. BacktoQueens

agreed. it's not so much the flat that concerns me tho, as it is chasing guys vertically down seams, or a horizontal zone which stretches sideline to sideline.
    that's not his game at all. Most 3-4 LB's will struggle with that tho.

get him help on those zones, and keep him close to the LOS where he is most effective. and of course zone blitz him..
    we have the personnel to do that.

101GangGreen101 and James Hasty like this.
  10. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

thats my point... on anyone he is a liability. backs, ends wideouts, anyone. if he isnt rushing you cant afford to have him on the field on third downs.

11. jerseyjay14

whats annoying is paying a 2 down player 7.5M when you have several guys who are young and good players who are going to need extensions. for me, that will eventually spell macs doom. it was the worst contract signing this offseason and its going to end up hurting us.

12. jerseyjay14

i never said mcclain was great, i said he could have filled harris role for 5 million less dollars

13. jerseyjay14

it wont be an issue as he wont be on the field in those situations. which would be fine if he was making 2M a year

14. 101GangGreen101

That actually wasn't his point, he talked about the majority of inside linebackers in general. Way to read what he said, and McClain gave up a higher completion % then Harris, and I bet Spikes did the same thing.

15. jerseyjay14

but spikes and mcclain make half or less then what harris does. if we are going to have a 1 dimensional 2 down player id rather have one i dont have to pay 7.5M to

16. 101GangGreen101

Harris is better then both of those linebackers. Harris is not one dimensional, as far as I am concerned - it's up to the coaching staff to put him in the best spot to succeed - which I am sure can be accomplished.

Those linebackers aren't filling Harris's role.

17. jerseyjay14

they arent better, but they are pretty comporable. and they make half or less then he does. Harris is absolutely 1 dimensionsal....

putting him in positions to succeed is the issue... that means not on passing downs. and paying a guy 7.5M to be a 2 down player who occasionally come in for rush packages seems crazy to me.

18. 101GangGreen101

Yes, Harris is better, you believed Harris was one of the worst ILBs in coverage, in which BacktoQueens provided the correct information. The linebackers you liked in actuality are worse in coverage. Harris is a better tackler, it appears to me, Harris is the better linebacker. Spikes couldn't find a job after leaving BUF

You can easily put him in on passing downs, to break up screens, to go after the QB, to jam a TE, those things are all possible.

19. jerseyjay14

you arent arguing what im saying. i didnt say harris wasnt better... i said those guys are similar and make less then half of what harris does. harris might be a better tackler,but those guys are good tacklers too. and its not like harris is ray lewis or some insane talent when it comes to tackling. so lets not overstate that.

harris is a liability on passing downs. i already mentioned the only way you play him there is if you rush him. but even then if you are blitzing their are likely better options at LB(or just going with an extra lineman) on the roster to get the QB.

harris isnt worth near 7 million. you saying he is better then spikes or mcclain is irrelevant cause those guys make nowhere near 7M

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

jerseyjay you have made your point and it has some validity but you are just beating a dead horse at this point and taking the thread off topic in the process.

If the Jets really, really want Mo I am sure they can scrape up enough cap room for him even if it means tightening our belt elsewhere.

Mo staying or going should ultimately depend on whether he would rather be a Jet (for a little bit less) or go wherever he can get the most money. If an extra million per year is all it would take for another team to pry him away later then better that we get rid of him now while we can get something in return.

Harris is guaranteed for this year and next. We could cut him in 2017 but probably won't. There isn't really much else to say about it at this point.

Perhaps we can get back on topic now.