I'm getting worried about Mo

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GWjet, May 19, 2015.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I don't see how we cut Cro after he makes another pro bowl this year.

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I don't see us cutting Cro either. We already let him walk once, they won't do it again. We'd look like idiots.

James Hasty likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If he plays like he did last year, he will make the pro-bowl - but if not then he will take a pay-cut.

Cro isn't the only player on that list. I would like to restructure Mangold / Brick's contract to lessen the money on the cap / open up more cap space.

Breno is getting cut after this year, he's trash - those 3 transactions along with increase in cap will allow us to keep Mo, and Richardson going forward.

4. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't assume Breno is going to be cut. It depends on a lot of things.

Also, those transactions don't necessarily mean we are resigning BOTH Mo and Sheldon. If we cut those guys, we need money to replace them.

5. James Hasty

If Brick forces our hand and we cut him loose we may be stuck with Breno for another year.

Otherwise, Breno should be gone after this year (we still have to draft / pay his replacement).

6. 101GangGreen101

Breno is nothing special, and we are paying him 5M / yr against the cap. I think those transactions would give the Jets the chance to resign those guys, what they choose to do with that cash is up to them.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't really see how we keep Cromartie in all honesty. I didn't like that we signed him in the first place but he seems like a luxury I'd rather get rid of in order to keep the big boys up front. Our secondary would still be very good with Revis, Skrine, Milliner, McDougle and Williams across the board. You can't keep two top paid corners and also expect to keep two top paid defensive lineman. That would put us at like 35% of the cap into four plaYers.

8. James Hasty

You have it backwards.

Mo is expendable (especially if we keep Coples).

Miller & McDougle have not proven themselves worthy to hold Cro's jock.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

yeah i tend to agree.
    something will have to give, and i think it will likely be Cro's 8M hit.

of course that does depend on how Cro plays this year, and how the other guys come along.
    so it's not a slam dunk, but i think it's the first place the FO will look to save, along with Brandon Marshalls 8M, Coples 7.75M, and Breno's 4M.

of course with Marshall and Cro, restructuring down that contract could also be a possibility, as both seem to want to remain Jets.

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

totally agreed regarding Breno. he's a backup at best, and not worth that money.
    Jets will recoup around 4M in cap space by cutting him.

Mangold i don't think i do anything with. he was the top C in the league last year, so 8.6M isn't crazy.

Brick is a really tough one, as we didn't land any Tackles in this draft, and Breno will likely be out.
    we can't get into a situation of needing 3 new OT's.
    He's set to get a salary of around 9M next year. the rest of the 14M cap hit is based on prorated bonuses. ie sunk costs from past restructures to free up cap space.
    I'm not so sure i'd cut him over 9M considering we have no other options.
    maybe he'll agree to lowering salary to 7M, and free up 2M of cap. can't see him going much lower than that, based on the leverage he has in this situation, and the going rate on consistent LT's.

I'd also look into Brandon Marshall, Cro, and Coples, depending on how their seasons go this year.

addressing the OT position will be number 1 priority this offseason. more important than locking up the Dline to long term deals.

11. 101GangGreen101

Brick and Mangold should never see the FA market again. Mangold, I think we can wait on to touch or restructure his deal another year or 2, but Brick - we should potentially look to restructure his contract.

We should not cut him, but instead we can add years to his deal and take the remaining money on his contract and spread it out - so we won't be giving him more money, but long-term security instead. That will lessen the cap hit for Brick and open up cash.

I agree w/ Brandon Marshall, Cro and Coples - we will need to see how they perform this season. The QB position and OT positions will need to be addressed this off-season and should be on the top of the list. In the draft, we should look to get a OT that can play both RT and LT. If a QB is available, then I see them taking a QB in round 1.

All of this should allow us to resign Mo going forward. I don't care much for Snacks as I believe he is replaceable.

12. James Hasty

So pay the guy that blows off OTA instead of the guy that has been playing lights out for next to nothing?

What problem could you possibly have with Snacks?

13. Jonathan_Vilma

I think in large part a lot of these players getting cut, resigned and extended will revolve around what quarterbacks hit free agency (assuming Geno is average or worse).

While I doubt it happens, the free agent quarterback class could potentially include any combination of Eli, Rivers, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, and then on the lesser side Sam Bradford, Nick Foles, and Kirk Cousins. It could be a potentially gigantic year for quarterbacks in free agency that the NFL has never really seen. Whether you would take one of these guys or all of these guys we don't want to be the team that can't at least bid because we overpaid Wilk AND kept Coples, Cro, Marshall, D'Brickashaw at His current cap hit and Giaciomini.

As far as the defensive line goes, either Wilk or Coples will be retained, definitely not both. One would have to imagine that Harrison is gone, and depending on Smith's development either Marshall or Kerley will be cut.

Next year I think it's going to be a crazy off season of teams trying to make space if one or more of the top quarterbacks hit the market.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

It's obvious that he doesn't have a personal vendetta against Snacks but do you keep the guy with 10 sack pocket pushing potential or do you keep the standard two down nose tackle who doesn't record a sack a year (albeit great at stopping the run)?

15. 101GangGreen101

It's only OTAs - if he's holding out come Training Camp, then there is a clear problem.

I don't have a problem with Snacks, but I do think he might ask for a lot of cash, and I think he's easier to replace compared to Mo who is an All-Pro player and does a lot of dirty work to open up for others including Sheldon.

Snacks, great at stopping the run, doesn't bring anything to the table in regards to passing downs.

16. James Hasty

It really depends on how much they would cost vs what we get in return.

Overpaying Snacks by $500K would be a small mistake.

Overpaying Mo by $3mil+ would be a big mistake.

17. 101GangGreen101

The Russell Wilson issue is an interesting one to follow. The Seahawks are not allowing Wilson to hamper their cap going forward. I would rather go through the draft to find a QB, then to sign Eli Manning, Kirk Cousins or even to an extent Cam Newton. Wilson, intrigues me though.

Extend Mo, I wouldn't mind letting Coples, Harrison, Brent and even Kerley (good one, forgot about him) go. Those are the guys you don't overpay and you look to replace them via the draft.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

It's not about overpaying snacks by $500k. You simply don't go and give Snacks $4-5 mill a year to play 350 snaps a year on running downs. It's mismanagement of cap space.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  19. James Hasty

If Snacks plays all of the snaps aside from 3rd and long and plays at a very high level $4-5 mil could make sense.

We may get him to resign for half of that amount.

Mo is the one that is making noise about his contract, and he has a ton of trade value right now.

20. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

If OTA's are voluntary i'm not worried lol... of course we would love to have everyone there like bowles said.. but there's other things these guys want to do on their time off. can't blame them. If Mo starts missing TRAINING CAMP and such... then we'd have a problem. For now i just see a bunch of NY Media doing NY Media type shit. Magic Mike (sorry i just love saying it) said he has no intentions of moving wilk and has money for wilk.. i trust him!

P.S. This is the Year Of The Geno. So don't stress.