I'm getting worried about Mo

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GWjet, May 19, 2015.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I was thinking ahead. I am telling you guys like Cromartie and Marshall shouldn't be in that conversation when thinking ahead. Marshall's probably only going to play here a couple years. Cromartie might not even be here next season, I would be surprised if he is. I was simply saying if you are thinking that far ahead (2018) including those guys is silly.

Davis will be here in 2018. That's a guy you need to think about signing long term. Decker's not on the downside of his career. By 2018 he probably will be but he will still be here

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How do you pay 2 defensive linemen $12M+ a year and pay a CB $16M a year and still field a good defense? That's $40M a year on 3 players. The math wouldn't work this year if Richardson and Mo counted $24M against the cap and it won't work moving forward either. The Jets would be $15M over the cap at this point if that's where the contracts stood and we have no idea at all if the defense will be good or great this year.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That's a fair assumption that you don't believe he's a super-star. I think it's very debatable. I think very highly of Mo, and I recognize the contributions he makes that don't show up on the stat sheet. Mo has already been recognized as an All-Pro caliber player. I don't think we've seen the best of Mo just yet, not even close. And remember, Pryce was a 3 time All-Pro player, he was no slouch.

That's very true, it's tough to really gauge those definitions because well, everyone has their own meanings and criteria. I personally believe Watt is in his own class and deserves the "elite" tag, while player like Robert Quinn, our very own Mo deserve the "super-star" tag. Just like Revis is an elite CB, while a CB like Joe Haden is a super-star. I just have a weird thought process in regards to that, I don't like throwing the word elite around a lot.

A 2 way defensive lineman, is one that is proficient at both the pass and run. Snacks, for example is not a 2 way defensive lineman, he can't rush the passer. Cameron Wake, is a 1 way defensive lineman, the guy is great at rushing the passer, but man you can have major success running the ball his way. Again, a weird terminology but it works for me.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I am glad to hear that Mo Wilkerson will take time out of his busy schedule to attend Leonard William's Hall of Fame induction in Canton.

5. 101GangGreen101

by the time 2018 rolls around, Revis is only getting 10M - and he might not even get that if his play declines big time, remember Champ Bailey had a huge decline in play. That's when you sign Richardson. Revis will be near his mid 30s. Jets can restructure the contracts of Brick / Mangold to free up a ton of space if they need insurance for Mo. Plus you have to take into account the increase in cap. I am no cap guru, but this can be done IMO.

Davis is not all that great, awful in coverage, how can you justify giving him a big deal? I was hoping the Jets would draft Shaq Thompson so we can move on from Davis in the near future. Decker is 28 now, he will be 31 or 32 by 2018, he will be making 9M that yr - Jets can actually play with his contract as well. Hopefully he stays healthy, or there will be a problem.

I am just thinking where would this money be allocated? If we can rebuild through the draft, we shouldn't have an issue here. I am just saying they will be off the books.

6. 101GangGreen101

Wilkerson will give Leonard Williams and the crowd one hell of a speech in Canton. Both will be wearing a Jet SB ring also.

James Hasty likes this.
  7. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Superstars get sacks

8. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Somebody better tell Suh

9. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Can you name one 300+ pound lineman who's had more sacks and tackles the past 2 years?

10. James Hasty

So Mo is to fat to be a sack master superstar?

11. DaBallhawk

There's no correlation between sack numbers and being considered a superstar. I don't even know what that means or who would be considered a superstar.

12. 101GangGreen101

I guess Haloti Ngata was never a superstar despite being All-Pro several years. He never notched 10 sacks in a season.

Mo's role on the team was never to be a sack artist, especially his first year or so. If he stays healthy this year, he's going to get 10 to 15 sacks just you watch.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  13. James Hasty

JJ Watt would qualify.

14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Is there a separate thread for this report that Mo may not show up to mandatory minicamp?

15. DaBallhawk

A bunch of linemen do. Including Mo.

16. James Hasty

That's what his agent would say.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Ngata was elite, even by your stringent definition (which does make sense, even if it is just semantics) ;)
    He should get into Canton when the time comes.

so obviously sacks don't mean everything in the role these guys play.
    Mo doesn't need 10 sacks this year to elevate his game. If he's double teamed and game planned around, other guys will get the splash stats as he does the important dirty work against both the run and pass.
    If he keeps the motor running, he could be in for a big year with all the talent around him, even if not reaching that elite stratosphere.

if offenses double Mo, double Richardson, and completely avoid Revis........we'll essentially be playing 8 against 5.
    so obviously they can't game plan around everyone, and it will be exciting seeing these guys go to work.

hopefully we can get something done w/o doing too much cap damage.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  18. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

We good

19. 101GangGreen101

I always seem to forget just how great Ngata was in his prime, I agree w/ you here. Dude effectively ended Mark Sanchez's career too ... Glad you understood how I rank players even if it's silly lol. The elite tag, just shouldn't be used all of the time.

20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

remember how dominant Kris Jenkins was for a brief time here?
    struck fear into QB's, RB's, and Olineman. there was no blocking him 1 on 1, and sometimes not even with a double team.

that's what i saw with Ngata. but he was versatile enough to play more snaps, while being positioned up and down the interior of the line.
    and he was blessed with better health and longevity than Jenkins.
    that's a HOF'er imo..

i understand your rankings.
    you deem elite as seeing something unique and special. the type of play, that if it keeps up, will land a guy in Canton.
    and you see superstars as guys with all-pro potential.....or maybe even top 5-10 at their position.
    makes sense. it's just semantics, but i agree elite and star are terms used with little consistency or definition.