I'm getting worried about Mo

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GWjet, May 19, 2015.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

absolutely. an edge pass rusher still on the right side of 30 who has been insanely productive.

im nto against trading wilkerson for something like that. its the rivers/bress talk im against

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Well your questions are part of mine. obviously there would be more but in the name of keeping my post brief I implied that...

there is plenty in baseball that impact doesn't show up in the stat sheet as well. I don't think football is any different than baseball, basketball, hockey, in that regard other than the fact that people in football have been slower to adopt the principles.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I highly disagree on everything you just said. If I had to pay large amounts for money for a CB v ILB, it would be inside linebacker. I would EASILY take Bowman or Patrick Willis over Revis. From there you can give me 3 decent CBs and I will do just fine with my defense. I would NEVER pay a CB, QB type money.

1. Pass-rusher
    2. ILB
    3. Safeties
    4. CB

Willis and Bowman time and time again have made game-changing plays that led to points by the defense. Including Bowman's strip, return for a TD against the Falcons a few yrs ago. A great ILB has far more impact on a field IMO then a great CB. A great FS can even trump a great CB. Give me Ed Reed over Revis.

I bet you there are more great teams w/ great ILBs compared to great CBs. Patriots had tons of CBs, but they had Donte Hightower increase his level of play as well as Jamie Collins doing very well on the defensive side of the ball along with McCourty at FS. Pats made moves last year.

4. 101GangGreen101

I think the nature of the game is a little different, you can do plenty of things that don't show up on the stat sheet. Maybe more-so then Baseball. A player like Mo, can make so many plays for others, I just believe they should both play together for the majority of their careers, both compliment each other so well, to let one go - makes you wonder if they will fulfill their full potential.

5. jerseyjay14

its not just a business. i agree you need to look at them as assets, but you cant look at them just like that. players see how teams treat guys, that could hurt your ability to aquire certain guys later on, or give you trouble working with guys who have the same agent, etc.

6. jerseyjay14

and you are entitled to your opinion. we will see how the pats D looks this year without revis. we know what our defense looked like without revis and cro, we will see what it looks like with them back.

Id take revis over ed reed. safety play is a luxury not as much a need. corner is an absolute need. ILB to me you can get away with having lesser players there, and its the easiet position on defense to work "by committe" using a 2 down guy and then brining in a 3rd down guy who can cover better. you cant go by committee at corner.

you HAVE to be able to cover in the NFL today. its an absolute must.

7. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

The disgusting side of the NFL. The draft is a "meat market." As Nick Nolte's character said in North Dallas 40. "We're the equipment." The NFL is about money, that's it. No wonder the players are me me me!

8. 101GangGreen101

Safety is not a luxury in today's game, it has just as much if not more importance then the CB position due to spread offenses and TEs. I guess you haven't noticed this with the Seahawks, who you could argue the ILB and FS / SS are better than Richard Sherman. Again, Ray Lewis has 2 rings, Pittsburgh never had great cornerbacks when they were on the top of defensive rankings earlier this era - they had great linebackers. What you are saying here is incorrect.

You are entitled to your opinion, hard to put any stock into your posts when you think the Jets running game was on par with the Cowboys.

9. AugustWest

AugustWest Active Member

Excellent example with Wilfork!

The Jets have 100% leverage over what they need to do with Mo.

They don't need to make the same mistake they did by "rewarding" Sanchez.

10. 101GangGreen101

Wow we are going to compare an All-Pro caliber player in Wilkerson to a below average QB in Mark Sanchez? Wilfork is on the down-side of his career, Mo prob hasn't even hit his peak yet. IMO awful examples. Patriots re-signed Wilfork to a five-year, $40 million contract with $25 million in guaranteed money in 2009.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. AugustWest

AugustWest Active Member

You totally missed the point.

It's not about paying players for past performance, appreciation or loyalty.

It's about what players can do in the future, not the past.

Did Sanchez deserve that ridiculous contract extension just because he was along for the ride for 2 AFCCG appearances?

New regime will not make foolish mistakes like that, and the Mo situation is a perfect example.

12. 101GangGreen101

Let me make sure I am getting this right ...

So what you are telling me is Mo has no upside? That this is the best we will see from Mo? At the age of 25? He was already named to the All-Pro team at one point. Mark of course he didn't deserve that extension - but Sanchez sucks, Mo never sucked.

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

in this style of defense, a press corner who can negate the top receiving option w/o help, is way more valuable than an ILB.
    it changes the entire numbers game for the defense. an ILB cannot do that, and neither can a S.

if you have the Dline and the CB's, you've got a whole lot of flexibility.
    fortunately, we finally have both.

14. 101GangGreen101

We saw what happened last time we had an elite CB, they simply went 4 receivers and threw away from Revis. You still need to stop WRs / TEs / RBs from running wild in the middle of the field, in which an ILB and Safety can lessen this effect.

I would gladly take 1 above average CB, and 2 average CBs [that I don't have to pay big bucks to] if I can get a great free safety and a great inside linebacker. They are the ones that are going to generate tons of turnovers in my opinion, and stop offensive players from running wild in the middle of the field. Those positions they can truly be game-changers. Ed Reed, Ray Lewis ... Troy Polamulu, James freaking Farrior.... Those Pittsburgh teams and Balitmore teams, they never had a player like Revis playing CB, but safeties and ILB? very crucial to their success. Those teams respectively have 2 SB rings each in the past decade+ because of those positions.

I am glad we have both right now also, but I am just going with my preferences on the defensive side of the ball and what I feel are more important. Depends on how you want your team built I guess.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

lol, well if you can get 1 above avg CB, 2 avg CB's, 1 great FS, and 1 great ILB, then i think you'd be ok in this scenario as well..
    that's a lot of talent.

when you have an elite CB, especially paired with a good CB and elite Dline, you just have so much flexibility.
    we have the numbers advantage to clog the middle of the field (the result of our CB's) and QB's won't have the luxury of time (result of our Dline).
    this defense will be difficult to attack.

i wouldn't give up Revis for any ILB or S in the league (assuming the money was equal). if the ILB or S cost less (As they probably would at those positions), then that is a better discussion.

16. AugustWest

AugustWest Active Member

I'm not saying that at all.

What I'm saying is the Jets are in total control of the situation and to extend him now would be foolish.

He is still on a cheap contract for this year. Let him play it out and the Jets can either sign him to an extension or slap the franchise tag on him.

Who the hell cares about his "feelings" because he hasn't been extended early.

Let him prove his value on the football field and then make a decision. Jets have plenty of time.

17. 101GangGreen101

The thing is here, I am going to pay big money to the positions I feel are most important to my scheme. I just don't value the CB as much as everyone else. I want competent players at that position, but I am not paying 17M for 1 CB.

No doubt in my mind, I would take a healthy Navorro Bowman / Patrick Willis over Revis. Those linebackers had far more of an impact on the defensive side of the ball.

In this scheme, you are right w/ Revis. However, imagine though having a ball-hawk safety that when the d-line gets to the QB - they can be in the right position to get interceptions. Like an Ed Reed. It would be a game-changer!

18. 101GangGreen101

Oh yeah, well said - I agree, but I wouldn't consider his feelings in this regard, but if Mo gets 20 sacks next season, it will cost more then it does now.

19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I think you have to take into context the state of the team as currently constructed. If I was starting a defense from scratch, I agree that a stud linebacker in the middle of the field might be more important than a cornerback. However, a huge selling point of players like Willis and Bowman are that they are so effective in shutting down the running game when it gets to the second level. The Jets have been among the league's best run stoppers for the last 2 years and have a young defensive line that specializes in run stuffing and figures to be together for the foreseeable future. For that reason I think a shutdown corner is more valuable to the team this year than a Willis type player, since Harris and Davis are a decent combo anyway.

20. AugustWest

AugustWest Active Member

In business (that is what the NFL is) that is called a calculated risk.

Jets have way too much leverage to extend him now.