Im done.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by laxin, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Not mad at all. Considering Idzik was a part of an organization that built strength by taking the guy they thought was the BPA regardless of fit, I'm ok with this and actually excited to see how good these guys are - because Idzik either believes in them himself, or really trusts the guys who recommended them.

Because DL wasn't a clear need, it seems obvious to me that they are simply trying to build the best possible talent base in order to make sure the next step is not a shaky or false one, and Richardson was that guy for them.

2. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

adios guys... lets completely forget that this is a deep draft for WRs, TEs, and OL...

3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I wonder what they're gonna do with all these lineman now... Surprised they passed on Jarvis Jones twice... Guess time will tell

4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

- we had to lose revis and his $16m a year wage demands - we didn't trade Revis to take either of these players

- we got two of the top 12 rated players in this draft - we went BPA and didn't panic or reach

- once Austin had gone there were no offensive players available that would've come close to the value of the players we took

- isn't the strength of this draft in rounds 2 and 3 according to all the experts?

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

It was also deep at CB and DL.

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Only thing strange to me is they picked Richardson over Star.

I think Austin was the planned pick at 9. Once he was off board, only the Guards were worth drafting on offense. At 13, only offensive choice wouldve been Eifert who wasn't BPA to me.
    So going defense wasn't the issue really. The question to me is why Richardson over Star or even Jarvis Jones?
    maybe they really are moving to a 4-3..

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

You know what pisses me off the most? Is that they were running such a tight ship when it came to things leaking out, and then 2 days before the draft, it somehow becomes known that the Jets love Austin, which then causes the Rams to trade up and take him right in front of us. We fucked ourselves there and we lost out on the best playmaker in the draft.

8. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Nothing to be upset about. Besides Austin and Warmack, there are really no first round offensive prospects.

The D-line pick is puzzling, but the cornerback pick is not. We have 6 more rounds.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

The 3 Tackles? Cooper? Eifert? Geno?

10. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I'm not a huge complainer about the draft, and I apparently carry a different philosophy than most here. Need does not enter the equation if I was making the picks, for the most part. It might slightly affect my decision making, but no more than that. I take the BPA regardless of need. That said, I would have taken Warmack at #9 and Jones at #13.

Well, all we can do now is let things shake out as they will.

11. BacktoQueens

wasn't it Austin himself who professed the Jets interest in him?
    it does suck we didn't land him, but we move on.. lots of draft left.
    I'm sensing Nassib in 2..

12. BacktoQueens

The 3 Tackles and Cooper were all off the board before 9.
    Eifert and Geno i don't think were BPA at 13. You have to roll with what the draft offers.

13. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I should have said no offensive skill players taken besides Austin.

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

4 man front:
    RDE Coples
    NT Ellis
    DT Richardson
    LDE Wilkerson

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

Wilkerson is 315, not an ideal 4-3 DE. I think you swap Richardson and Wilkerson because they were raving about Richardson's change of direction and athletic ability... Also, Coples is a better interior rusher than outside rusher, so thats confusing.

But once again, I have no clue what the Jets are thinking so what do I know.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

One of the Jets bigger problems recently is getting honest pressure on the QB. We all know this is true. We've seen the Jets use exotic blitz schemes over and over again when they needed to put pressure.

This problem has a few components but the biggest single factor has been the fact that the Jets defensive lineman don't bring good pressure consistently.

Kris Jenkins bowed out on a knee. Shaun Ellis got old and left. The Jets replaced these guys with hard-working journeymen in Sione Pouha and Mike Devito. The pass pressure from the line declined dramatically. The pressure the Jets put on the QB declined dramatically.

So in 2011 the Jets drafted Muhammad Wilkerson, a big hard-working DE who could put some pressure on the QB. In 2012 they drafted Quinton Coples, a quick DT who puts a lot of pressure on the QB when you can get him lined up on a guard. Now they have Sheldon Richardson, another quick DT who will cause matchup problems inside.

The Jets are actually going to be able to generate real pressure on the passer next season without sending DB's from the edges. This is going to be the first honest pass rush the Jets have had since Kris Jenkins went down in 2009.

I think we're going to be very happy with the results.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This definitely wasn't how I saw the draft playing out.

Then again, the Jets drafting Revis threw all but a very small number of people here for a total loop. Not to say that either of these guys will even translate into solid players for this team...

.. but seriously, get a fucking grip, you drama queens. You're going to quit the Jets because of a fucking DRAFT???

The Jets shit the bed in monumental fashion in 2012, and you hung around. NOW you're cashing in? Blow it out your ass. People that take the offseason too seriously really need to shut the fuck up.

Especially when they haven't seen the drafted players take an NFL snap.

#37 abyzmul, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  18. BigJenks

BigJenks Active Member

This should be put on flyers and handed out to everyone freaking out here. I think we've had a solid draft so far. We're gonna have a really fun D to watch. We'll pick up some offensive players in later rounds where the talent exists still.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I remember thinking the same thing last uear when we took coples. Hopefully you're right.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Demario Davis was a 43 OLB in school. Wilk will still be RDE, with Richardson and Ellis in the middle. Right now we have as many working parts for a 43 front as we do a 34 front.