If we don't secure top pick, should we go after Dak Prescott?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

From your lips to God's ears. But Dolphins were bad today. They might be on downward trajectory. We might really win next week. It will be back to back road game for Dolphins

JetsKickAss likes this.
  2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I agree. That's mental though. That's taught.

JF can get It out quick and Is very accurate. I get it though.

It's the things you can't teach that really stick out with a lot of these QBs. Its hard to find.

Russell Wilson at NC wasn't great at reading defenses either but he obviously learned quick and combined that with those intangibles you can't really teach.

I'm not comparing, at all, just an example.

It's more of a rarity to find a QB at the college level that Is a wiz kid at reading defenses. It's more the exception than the rule.

Not many programs have schemes that require that advanced approach mentally. Keeping things extremely simple is becoming more and more common too.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Or vice versa Master. If Gase can take a win from Miami’s hand, it will be time for him to go.

jetstopgun likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I almost always agree with you, but I have to point out that being unproven in reading defenses and going through progressions is a major red flag. In fact it was one of the things that was raised about Darnold (TBF, it's raised about every college QB), and here we are watching Sam struggle with these two aspects of the game. The phrase: "Once bitten; twice shy" seems appropriate. I'm not saying that this issue automatically takes Fields out of consideration, but they'd better do their due diligence on him, especially in these aspects. Further, it argues for having him sit for a year so he can come up to speed. This makes keeping Darnold more of a sensible option in this scenario. I could see it coming down to if they get the #1, they trade Sam and take Lawrence; if they get the #2, they take Fields and keep Sam to let Fields sit and learn.

REVISion and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Like it. Well said. In either scenario, the number one enabler to success is a CS that can develop a QB for the NFL defenses.

6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree.

Most college QBs have this issue though, as you alluded too. Even a lot of the really good/greats struggled with this aspect of their game at the college level. It's a whole different world and It's not a common emphasis at the college level.

Most the kids that are at that level In college had more than coaches getting them to that level. Peyton Manning for example, I'm sure he got some great coaching along the way, but, his passion for the game and his dad being a legit NFL QB In his time surely contributed to just how advanced Peyton was coming out of college.

You dont see that typically. Not at that level.

Of course. It is a red flag though, something to make sure that the kid can handle the mental game, between the ears, instinctual feel, awareness, and pre-snap/post-snap recognition.

I would definitely take TL because he Is at that level like Peyton was coming out of college, he also has a lot of fantastic tools to combine with what he has between the ears.

Fields is a gamble. In comparison.

..but so was Mahommes. I got burnt on him, for similar reasoning. The NFL is evolving, JF fits that mold.

I would take the risk If we lost out on TL. Only If we lost out on TL though.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Mobility, which Fields has, can make up for shortcomings in reading defenses because it forces teams to devote resources to stopping the QB run. That's the number one reason why Josh Allen is succeeding in the NFL despite his accuracy and decision-making issues: implement a scheme to confuse him or make him throw into a tight window, and he simply runs with the ball. And then if you try to take away his running, you have to simplify your defense enough that he can be an effective passer.

IIMeanDeanII, LAJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Dak would be a good pickup. I say yes

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The Cowboys will absolutely 100% Exclusive Rights Franchise Tag Prescott again if they don’t extend him first. The Jets will not have an opportunity to go after Dak even if they wanted to.

NCJetsfan, cval and Footballgod214 like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Would Jerry Jones ever trade Dak for Sam straight up? He's dug himself into a deep hole with Zak. He might consider a reset.

11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. No chance.

Dak is a good player. The Cowboys may not have handled the contract situation ideally but overall it’s overblown, he will be their QB.

12. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

If Jerry were willing to let Dak walk -- with the 3rd win he is out of the TL/JF Sweepstakes -- then he has the leverage.

Jets would NEVER consider Dak at $40 MM a year.

Jerry has to sign Dak because he probably doesn't have any other QB options AND he risks blowing up the locker room if he lets Dak test FA coming off a big injury.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good point indeed. Are you leaning more towards Fields, or you think it will be a a strong second choice if we miss on the first pick and Trevor?

14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

This would be a classic same old Jets move.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Trevor is my top choice, but if we can't get him, I'd go with Fields.

IIMeanDeanII, LAJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Spot on, Dak is not the problem with the Cowboys, it’s the defense that is bad. The Dallas defense can’t stop anyone and slowly give games away as game wears on.

Dallas has had a top 5 offense with Dak at the helm, he is not going anywhere.