If the Jets were New England...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

What disappointed me was that was almost the same exact play as the 2 picks that Sanchez had in the Green Bay game, which were awarded to Green Bay's D.

It doesn't matter though, because We won.

2. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Whether Klecko's point is right or wrong, there is still alot to dislike about the game.

We couldn't give Sanchez a good pocket

We couldn't run the ball

Ferguson played bad and got beat a couple times

Sanchez was still only throwing the ball 6 yards at a time for most of the game

Bart Scott is still hitting guys behind the LOS but not wrapping up, and thus giving up positive yards.

Cromartie is continuing to show that he is vulnerable when picked on

We're not able to make up for the lack of a pass rusher by getting consistent pressure from LBs.

Dallas lost that game more than the Jets won it.

I am happy to be 1-0 and I expect the team to get better but this was a slow start and we are lucky to have a win. I don't know how, but I want to see the O-line get a little more stout in pass protection, and maybe we should be playign more nickel and dime defenses so we can use the athleticism of the DBs to blitz. That's a less than idea strategy though....the LBs have to start getting through and collapsing the pocket.

#22 Jtuds, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  3. felker

felker Active Member

Win a couple of Super Bowls and these things will be said about the Jets too.

When NE won their first all your heard was Tuck Rule and One and Done.

4. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

Yeah, that was BS. I remember Keller coming down with the ball and then getting stripped. BS

5. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Yeah, but the Pats hadn't been to back to back AFCCG games in the years prior either.

6. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Get caught taping signals, draw the biggest penalty in NFL history and then suck in the postseason, and people will call you frauds and cheaters.

Gotta suck.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He played great in the 2-minute drill just like he always does. He went 87 yards and capped it off with the Keller TD. Let him run a hurry-up offense all the time and will probably produce more than he will not. That's where he exceeds.

8. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Kleck, the above quote has validity...BUT it doesn't cover up the fact that, while I wouldn't say the Jets were "lucky", they were certainly "fortunate". You ARE 1-0, the most important stat that comes out of any game. However you cannot ignore the following:

1. Your, "best Defense in the NFL gave up over 400 yds to an offense that started 3 guys on the OL who had a combined 1 previous start.....and whose best weapon played the entire 2nd half at half speed. It looked more like the Pats D circa 2010 than the feared Jets D of the past few years

2. Your "renowned OL" gave up 4 sacks and managed to run the ball an "awesome'" 46 yds on the ground.

3. Your QB who is supposedly making the big leap "elite" status once again had UNDER 60% completion rate, DESPITE throwing against a team missing its top THREE CBs and starting S for most of the game. Not only that he fumbled TWICE, threw one pick and picked up again on last year's trend and had 2 more dropped by the Dallas secondary. AND in his last two drives combined (while the game was on the line) managed had a grand total 12yds and one first down.

4. What is going to happen when teams start to realize that the Jets running game is more myth than reality. How are those play action passes going to work when teams no long bite on them.

The BOTTOM line is that in a game that was set up perfectly for a Jets win. (at home, 9/11, playing a team with a lot of injuries) the Jet ESCAPED with a win because it was GIVEN to them. .

As a Pats fan, I an VERY disappointed the Jet won a game they didn't deserve to win. But like you have said "good teams" win game like that, and that is to the Jets credit. But in many ways I'm very encouraged by what I saw, for obvious reasons.

Still its early and what you see now isn't always what you get in the end of the year. The Pats lost opener in 2003 by 30, and managed to win 14 games that regular season. And in December NO ONE will remember all these details about the Dallas game. It will just be a win

Well the Jets have another home game teed up against the Jegs (who imho might end up being one of the worst teams in the league). Better not miss on that one. :wink:

BTW- I'm NOT very comfortable about our Miami game. We will likely start 2 new guys on offense. We have a rookie going up against one of the best pass rusher in the game. Lots of questions about the DL and S. Plus I think that Miami is a lot better than many think.

I'd say we'll know more tomorrow, but given this early in the season, how much will we REALLY know, even then??? God its great to actually be watching real games again

#28 patfanken, Sep 12, 2011
  9. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Never mind, I'm not getting banned for your dumb ass.

#29 rholt168, Sep 12, 2011
  10. gopats88

gopats88 Member

ESPN Recap - Patriots 27, Ravens 24 - December 3, 2007
    http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=271203033

Summary:
    1)ESPN starts out by calling the game a "scare" for the Pats in the headline of the recap
    2)points out we aren't perfect
    3)says we looked "mighty vulnerable"
    4)points out we needed a late TD drive and questionable calls to win
    5)calls the win a "great escape"
    6)points out that we struggled for the second straight week

before giving us credit
    7)calls us "incredibly resourceful"

ESPN Recap - Jets, Ravens 24 - September 11, 2011
    http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=310911020

Summary:
    1)feel good story about Rex Ryan being so proud, and the Jets winning a "emotionally charged, mentally draining" game

These are just the first few paragraphs of each recap, but the introduction is widely know to be where an author tries to make his impression. The rest of each game recap just goes into more detail and provides a mixture of criticism and credit to the winning teams. Say whatever you want, but I don't think you guys have it as bad as you like to think.

#30 gopats88, Sep 12, 2011
  11. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

You're comparing a game where the Pats should have lost if not for a terrible call, during the middle of the season to a game on opening night game where the only terrible call was by a player, not an official.

12. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

We're 1-0.

You make your own luck.

Rex said we have a lot of work to do - back to work starts today.

Pats are irrelevant until we play them.

That is all.

13. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

O/T- Just saw this on Phinheaven:

ESPN has a 'minority' day?

14. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

I thought the Dolphags hosted minority day every year?

15. gopats88

gopats88 Member

It might not be comparing apples to apples, but it isn't the worst comparison either.

The point is that the author CHOSE to focus on the Patriots struggles and the fact they needed help/luck/miracles/whatever you want to call it to win.

The author EASILY could have written a similar intro for the Jets last night. Instead, he CHOSE to focus on the emotions of the game and the resiliance of the Jets.

16. felker

felker Active Member

The Patriots went to the Super Bowl just a couple of years prior to that.

17. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

At least he didn't mention the whole cheating thing. You dodged a bullet there.

18. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Pretty much every fan thinks all other fans/writers are out to get their team.

There are people who undeservedly bash and credit each team in the league, every game, no matter what.

The Jets played well in some aspects and poorly in others. They certainly have some adjustments to make. How they adjust will determine the rest of the season's outcome.

19. patfanken

patfanken Banned

You know its interesting to hear this line of thinking so often. The Shotty hatred is so great in Jets nation that they keep missing the key elements. "Let Mark call his own plays" because we seem to do so well in the hurry up offense is the latest iteration of he hate.

First when the Jets are in hurry up, its STILL Shotty that is calling the plays. He is literally in Sanchez's head. Secondly when are Jets fans FINALLY going to realize that all the complaints of how stodgy the Jets offense is, comes more because of the limitations of the QB than the fact he doesn't know how to run a high power offense. WHEN the QB can be more accurate, make better decisions, and see the entire field, THEN you might see a more high power offense.

BTW - I don't think Sanchez sucks. He's just not as good as a lot of Jet fans hope. They are thinking he can become a Brady or Brees, where more likely his upside is more Hasselback or O'Brian. He's good enough to be on a superbowl team, but not good enough to "carry" you there.

20. felker

felker Active Member

Yeah, going to the Super Bowl and running the table in the regular season really sucked.