If Tannenbaum is let go, who is a good Candidate?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wildaces, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We're 12 years now into the post-Parcells era. I think it is very reasonable to call it the Bradway-Tannenbaum era because the Jets methods haven't changed much if at all during that span.

The team is 96-93 over that period of time with 6 playoff appearances, including 3 since the Parcells talent base aged out in 2005.

I think it's reasonable to suggest that it's time to move on. We've seen this act now through all of it's stages and it's pretty clear that the one place it will not take the Jets is to the status of elite team or consistent contender.

I don't know about you but I was 39 years old when Terry Bradway was hired. I was 36 when Mike Tannenbaum came on board. I'm a lot older now and I don't really need to see this act extended for another rebuilding period to know it isn't going to get us to the promised land.

It's not like the Jets would be giving up quickly on the regime. They've been in house for 12 years now. That's long enough.

#81 Br4d, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Isn't it amazing how BP gets credit for the talent he inherited and also gets credit for talent 5 years after he left. The BP talent was pretty much gone when he left us in cap hell and we had to make all those changes following 2001 so the '01 regime made the playoffs which the BP/Groh regime couldn't do the previous 2 years then they re-tooled and won the division, re-tooled again and nearly made the title game in '04.

BP inherited a boatload of talent, he did a great job changing the losing culture of the franchise but an awful job bringing in talent through the draft. We have had our best era of Jets football under the Bradway/Tannenbaum regimes.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I was thinking you had left off your defense of Woody, who btw it's hardly only me who thinks he sucks as an owner. You probably should have gone to church yesterday morning rather than made that post.

First of all, I never said there were no issues left over after Parcells left the HC position, and ultimately the team. But don't you think it ironic that a few posts after the quoted one, you upbraided Bradway for mismanaging the GM position and allowing the very good roster he inherited, from Parcells, to decline? Who knows what Parcells would have done if he stayed. The point is that on balance, the Jets were, despite the specific problems you mentioned, in better shape when Woody bought the team than they are now. I don't really think there's much to debate on that point.

I am familiar with Parcells's history. The fact remained he left when Woody bought the team. As for Belichik, I don't dispute that Kraft meddled with the Jets there, but let's put it this way - Woody's buying the team sure did not encourage Belichik to stay. People can have more than one reason to do something. Belichik was always a Pats fan? Heh. Okey dokey.

You speculate Dolan would have been a worse owner. That's not the point. The point is Woody has not been a good owner. Your position amounts to an acceptance of mediocrity, which you don't do when talking about other aspects of the management of the team. I wonder why.

And, of course it is very amusing coming from such a critic of the way the Jets have been run. Woody owns the team. How is he not in some ways responsible for the things you complian about at great length on other threads? Even this thread? The Tebow trade. The Sanchez contract extension. Things like that.

And what exactly was it that you find a positive that resulted from Woody's "holding on" after the WSS deal blew up? Making Tanny the GM?

I am starting to wonder whether Woody is some kind of relation to you, but I am pretty sure not close enough that you get a trust fund out of it.

4. Hmm..really? Don't mistake me for a Woody apologist but...

- New facilities that are arguably the best in NFL vs. Hofstra U.
    -No more "Giants stadium".Sure we all wanted a true home of our own..but I'll take metlife over that old toilet bowl anyday
    -Team now has things like Cheerleaders at games which alot of fans were crying over for a long time
    -The overall value of the franchise has increased drastically.

I'm not sure how you can honestly argue it the other way. The 1999 Jets were better than the 2012 Jets? Maybe...but other than that I see a competitive franchise that thinks progressively & is willing to utilize necesarry funds to stay that way.They've improved facilities,image,gameday experience & overall gross value since Woody has taken over. What more do you want from your owner?

5. wildaces

wildaces Banned

IMO, every Franchise is on a 3 year cycle. Evaluate the team in 3 year cycles in regards to talent. 2000-2002, 2001-2003, 2002-2004, etc. It is hard to compare ownership based on valuation, as the NFL is extremely larger now than in the past. You could compare the ratio's, but we don't have access to the true financials. From a fan standpoint, the only thing that is important is Talent. Who cares if the owner is making money, or not?

That said, other than Al Davis and Jerry Jones, what owner is actively involved in the day to day operations? On the outside looking in, the GM appears to hold complete control. Case in point, Woody wanted McElroy, and Sanchez started.

6. I agree w/ regard to evaluating every 3 years. That said I don't think that change should be made every 3 years unless incompetence is present on every level of the organization. You must allow your decision makers the ability to have a big picture plan & not live/die w/ every personnel move or you risk longevity/sustainability/stability. What that leads to is contact turmoil, plans never fully executed & patchwork rosters.

I would further argue that although not as important as actual on field talent...things like facilities & branding do matter when it comes to wins/losses. Having top notch facilities is a great recruiting tool & having good facilities allows for theoretically top notch player development/game prep resources.

7. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I apologize, I think you were miss understanding where I was going with this. I believe that each evaluation should be made 3 years after their date of hire. Too often we see a GM/Coach gone after a year or 2 taking over a roster. In addition, after 3 years the GM/Coach should get a opportunity to run with their team. However, if, like you said, they show complete ineptitude. Fuck em.

As far as the woody/parcells argument, apply the 3 year cycle and argue that. The Woody experiment shouldn't even be considered until 3 years after ownership.

8. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I'm surprised you were the only one to bring up Heckert's name.

Brown's owner Haslam is sure to fire Heckert in a couple of weeks. Haslam wants his "Guy" to run the Browns. Rumors abound that Haslam wants Mike Lombardi.

Heckert is excellent in evaulating talent, and has done very well drafting for the Browns the last few years. The Jets need a GM that knows how to evaulate players and has a strong scouting background, which is Heckert's strenght.

The Browns are a team on the rise with some very good young talent since Heckert took over in 2010. If the Browns fire Heckert it will be a mistake and the Jets need to consider him.