If Tannenbaum is let go, who is a good Candidate?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wildaces, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Plus, it didn't take a genius to see that Mangini's poor coaching was a primary factor in the Jets' collapse that season. If anyone doubts it, go re-watch that awful game in Seattle where Mangini and Sutton refused to send more than a 3 man rush all day.

The '08 Jets had the talent to be a playoff team (if not a serious contender once Favre fell apart,) but the coaching failed them.

The '12 Jets have the talent of a 4 win squad, but the coaching is keeping them competitive (with a major assist from the schedule makers.)

2. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

If we didn't have so many holes on this team I would want Tanny to do this in a heartbeat.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

What about Kevin Abrams, he is the assistant GM for the NY Giants. I know he started as a cap analyst for them but that was only for three years, and he has been there a total of 11 years. I'm sure he has learned something from Reese.

4. Penning10

Penning10 Member

Evaluating Mr. T/Rex regime

Ok so I rarely post but I do read the message boards here alot and I was thinking...is the Tannenbaum/Ryan regime really all that bad at putting together a roster? Not all decisions have been terrible.

1. I've often heard the Tebow debacle was really Woody's call

2. Sanchez has regressed, that much is clear. Is that really Tannenbaum's fault though? People say they haven't given him enough weapons...well Keller and Holmes have missed most of the year, they drafted Stephen Hill who I would agree has been a disappointment but I don't recall people on this board thinking he was a mistake. He may actually turn out to be pretty good. Kerley is a quality reciever. The Jets O-Line despite all the hand-wringing is actually pretty solid. I think the problem with Sanchez is Sanchez. He lacks confidence, makes poor decisions and can't make all the throws. He got worse on his own. It's a cop-out to blame others...its your 4th year buddy, make some plays. I guess you can say its Mr. T and Rex fault for trading up to get him, but don't say they ruined him, thats bullshit.

3. Cromartie was a good signing.

4. Landry & Bell were good signings..they upgraded a huge weakness

5. Nice job with Malone too...he has been a big upgrade from last year.

6. Wilkerson is coming into his own. I got a feeling Coples will be pretty good too.

7. McIntire was a good pick-up. Where did he find this guy?

8. Bilal Powell might be better that people give him credit for...now that Greene can split the carries with a decent back, our backfield might be pretty good. Nice FB pick up with Hilliard as well.

9. Bottom line is since Rex took over the Jets are 34-27 regular season and 4-2 playoffs. Thats not great, but its not awful. We haven't gotten many breaks the past 2 years and our QB sucks. I'm not sold on the fact that we need to clean house and start over. I just think we need a new QB.

5. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

With each meaningless win we are just pissing away a better draft pick and the better chance of trading down. I am all for cleaning house. Bring in better management and get some talent on this team.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You miss the point about the Tebow trade. Even if Woody wanted to do it, Woody knows Tanny is not a football guy. So even if, which I DON'T believe is the case but as you imply, Tanny was against the trade, why should anyone have listened to him?

In other words he's not qualified.

Add in the contract extension for Sanchez, and leaving Hunter at RT until pre-season had already begun, and those factors all weigh much more heavily than the ones you mention, even giving Tanny the benefit of the doubt (which I do not do).

7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Remember MT also guaranteed Hunter I think for 2 years :sad:

8. Big Blocker

I do remember, and ftr in my mind that all rolls into the overall handling of Hunter this past off season. One long screw up.

9. Elijah

Elijah New Member

I'll take the job I guess

10. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

How do you get to be a "football guy"? Just wondering.

11. Penning10

Penning10 Member

Tannenbaum has made mistakes for sure. The Sanchez contract is definately a bad move. Same with the Santonio Holmes deal. As for the Hunter thing...he's gone now and it looks like his replacement is serviceable. Smith who we brought back in the trade is overpaid, but he has played well as the Jumbo TE this year and will be let go after the year. All in all its not as disasterous as everyone made it out to be in training camp. My whole point is that I believe the Jets are the mess they are now because of Sanchez more than anything else. However, if you want to argue that Sanchez should have already been shown the door, or never drafted to begin with then I guess I don't have a leg to stand on.

12. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

DeCosta would be good.

13. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

consider yourself legless.....:grin:

14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If it was Tom Gamble that scouted all those players on the 49ers and drafted them, then... HIRE THAT BEAST!

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have several ways to go in looking for a new management team. They can go for insiders from a strong organization that has weathered the NFL storms well over the years. In that scenario they're basically leveraging strong knowledge of the game and trying to be better at it than most of the other teams.

They could also choose to go with a moneyball guy or set of guys. They'd be looking to leverage statistics in that case, looking for a specific set of numbers that lead to wins and counting on results based on reaching those numbers.

I'd prefer the first course because I can't help but think there's been more than a bit of moneyball behind Tannenbaum and Bradway's actions and those have failed pretty spectacularly at this point. I'd rather go get a guy who knows what he's doing and is just interested in using that knowledge to build a strong organization from which will flow strong teams.

The next coach of the Jets in the first scenario might well be Rex Ryan but in a somewhat reduced role as head coach first and chief promoter and defensive coordinator second. The guy running the show would have to be sure he was getting his money's worth out of Rex as head coach for the relationship to continue.

The next coach in the moneyball scenario would be somebody like Chip Kelly. Fresh, unorthodox ideas on the field and a very hard-nosed attitude towards talent evaluation and who should be on the field for the Jets.

In the first scenario Rex or whoever has very little control over who is on the roster. They're there to get the most out of the players the GM and scouting department provide.

In the second scenario Kelly or whoever probably has much more control over who is on the roster because they'll need a specific set of skills to make whatever they have in mind work.

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I'm guessing we all agree there is nobody in house if tanny is being replaced? I don't know the front office of other teams well but I would say I like Bradways first scenario above because it has a better shot of keeping Rex and it has me now looking up and wondering if "moneyball" strategy is used in the nfl or the short season/quick turn around on players doesn't lend itself to "moneyball"

My hope is grab someone from the PIT organization. They seem to be one step ahead of potential holes on their team always drafting before a position becomes a must need.

17. Ted

Ted Member

If the Browns are dumb enough to fire Tom Heckert, that is the guy I am interviewing first.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't want a guy who was raised in the Dolphins organization. Too many conflicts even if it's not obvious that they exist. I don't want a guy from the Patriots. I really don't want a guy with history in the AFC East at all and I'd prefer a guy who has little or no history in the AFC. Unless he comes out of Pittsburgh and was clearly a part of the Steelers success.

A guy out of the Packers organization would be ideal.

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That was my thought...... loaded with young talent!

20. Big Blocker

It is of course no sure thing that Tanny will be fired or even demoted. But in addition to the consideration that he should be, and obviously so, there was that report out of Jetland.

Still, I have difficulty getting into the who should replace him business. The problem is that Woody is still the owner. Anybody with a real reputation will view Woody as a negative. How much so is perhaps debatable. But I am virtually certain it will be a factor.

Perhaps it is a factor that can be overcome with enough money and promises that Woody will not interfere in running the team. But my guess is it will have to be a significant premium on the money side, and on the guarantee side, will Woody really want to do that? I even question how meaningful such guarantees will be no matter how well drafted a contract can be.

After all, Tanny got the job in the first place because Woody was used to him. Now Woody is going to go outside, and give total control of hte team to someone else?

Hard to imagine, I am afraid.