If Rex continues to support Shittenheimer, his job should be on the line

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Oct 9, 2011.

1. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Nobody is going to keep someone around in the NFL because they are buddy buddy.

2. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

well, teams generally don't like to do that but it's happened before.

just because you fire an OC doesn't mean you have to change the scheme or terminology.

or just strip him of play calling duties.

3. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

maybe not players, but in coaching politics are definitely more involved especially if it's an owner/coach relationship.

they may not keep someone around forever, but they certainly get more chances if they have a good relationship. it's human nature and it happens in every single job or field that has ever existed. you like somebody so you're hesitant to fire them until they reach a point where you can't take anymore or they're just that much of a detriment.

I can think of an NBA example (Dolan/Isiah Thomas) off the top of my head, and i'm sure there are more when i think about it even in the NFL. Maybe Gary Kubiak and Bob Mcnair might be a good example.

the team's overall success (i.e. AFCCG appearances) has masked schotty's inconsistent and subpar performances in the grand scheme of things, but i think now that the team is struggling despite a lot of talent on that side of the ball, it's a reality they're going to have to face.

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

indeed. he certainly has benefited more than anyone else involved with the team.

5. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

To the OP...[​IMG]

Seriously? Fire Rex? COME ON MAN!

6. 624

624 Banned

I think Jets fans should realize by now that Rex doesn't say negative things about any player or coach ever to the press. Look at Gholston for example.

We don't know what he's saying off camera, so we shouldn't make retarded assumptions.

7. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

true! i can remember parcells taking away playcalling from weis with the jets, and from sean peyton with the cowboys. nothing stops rex from using tom moore or callahan or the qb coach from calling plays. heck, he even had sanchez do it in a preseason game.

i say start the game in a no-huddle mode and let moore give sanchez a choice of plays to use depending on what the defense shows him.

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

This is where Rex is an incomplete coach. He's a defensive guy, plain and simple. And he's not comfortable enough with the offensive side of the ball where he feels confident to either take playcalling himself, strip Schottenheimer of duties, or get more involved in the gameplan to get a more productive offense.

Rex takes a hit here if this doesn't get fixed, no doubt. But even the thought of firing him is ridiculous at this stage.

He's earned himself a few more years here for sure. But he deserves some criticism for the offense. He is the head coach, after all.

9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

And he would make th wrong choice 5 out of 6 times. Hes not ready for that dude. This is part of ht ereason he is a 50/50 proposition when he throws the fuckin ball

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

In general this is true but this is one of the a rare cases where a team can make such a change as the Jets have an established OC/HC as our O-line coach. In the interim the team can keep the scheme unchanged. Though Shitty's scheme stink, the main issue is Schitty's play calling and his inability or slowness in making adjustments.

11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Bro, your hatred for Sanchez is growing stronger by the day.

I think you gotta get out of tea party country :lol:

12. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

It'd be ridiculous to fire our offensive coordinator in the middle of the season, and it is COMPLETELY UNTHINKABLE to even think about getting rid of Rex anytime soon. I don't know where some peoples heads are at. Some people need to get used to the fact that this may be, (not certainly, but maybe) a transitional year. The transitional part has nothing to do with the head coach, he is staying.

13. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

You said what I wanted to say better than I could myself. This sums it up.

14. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

Although this is definitely extreme, it worries me that Rex is incompetent at running an offense.

I dont know if this is the case with most head coaches (only knowing one side of the ball), but this seems like this could be a problem to me.

I definitely don't want him fired, just saying

15. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

No way Rex should be fired, not even close, but Schottenheimer still being here is on Rex. He has to be accountable for that steaming turd with the headset on. I have no doubt Tannenbaum has told Rex, "just tell me who you want your coaches to be and it's done".

Big negative points on Rex for this

16. Jetsfan11

Jetsfan11 New Member

I like to think that two consecutive trips to the AFC Championship game has bought him some leeway.

17. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Right, this makes more sense to me. Changing the playbook mid-season sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, and the sort of thing only done by a team who has given up on the season. The main knock on Schottenheimer is not that the team doesn't have the plays, it's that he doesn't call the right ones - it might be a big blow to his ego and signal the beginning of the end for him, but someone must surely be able to read a defence and call plays a little better than he manages each week.

18. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Schotty made Sanchez retarded? The Bastard!

Schotty will be first to go, but it won't happen until/unless we get in a hole we can't get out of. We are stuck with his cute fake reverse on first down play calling ass for a while.

19. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Rex will not be fired, nor should he be.. that is a ludicrous thing to say.

Rex would need 3 straight bad seasons to be fired after all the positive things and all the goodwill he's brought to the franchise after just 2 seasons.

That being said, I would really really really hate to see an assclown like Shittenheimer bring Rex down if Rex isn't willing to clamp down and do what needs to be done. We all know what the problem is (for the most part anyway, there are some stragglers who refuse to think Shittenheimer is a problem), so Rex must see it. I mean for a guy who spent his whole life preparing defenses to shut down offenses, he MUST see how easy it is to exploit this guy and what he's coming up with on offense. It's a joke.

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Also.. Rex will not fire this jackass in the middle of the season. He just won't.

But after the season if things continue like this, it's a distinct possibility. It will have to be done if this crap keeps up. He's ruining the team.