If Mo went to Dallas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, Apr 1, 2016.

?

Who do you hope the Jets get at #4

1. Myles Jack

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Carson Wentz

19 vote(s)
    38.8%
  3. Jared Goff

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Laremy Tunsil

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. Jalen Ramsey

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You would almost have to. Any other mode of transport would risk injuring his collar bone again

alleycat9, Acad23 and jonnyd like this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

fuck it. just keep mo and tag him again next year.

FJF likes this.
  3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Petty is being handled the right way, he's sitting, learning and developing.

You think Goff and Wentz are going to come in day 1 and start?

Besides, the attempt to resign Fitz should not be taken as any slight against Petty.

This team is built to win now and Fitz was and is the leader of the franchise--for right now. The Jets can NOT hand the position over to a second year pro with no regular season playing time regardless of how good he may (or may not) look.

I know you love Wentz and I am intrigued by him--but to say he is a better prospect right now than Petty is just hopeful thinking.

And Goff is very far away from being an NFL QB. If I had a choice to start Petty or Goff week 1 2016, I'm starting Petty every time.

_

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I loved Wentz back in the regular season when no one was talking about him. Now I'm good.

The term "prospect" already implies we are comparing them in terms of coming into the NFL. The apples to apples comparison is not even close; their draft grades bear that out. IMO they, probably Wentz more so than Goff, are even better in the all so convenient oranges to apples comparison where you factor in that Petty has a year in the league under his belt; at worst, it's very very close.

It's fine you would choose Petty to start week 1 but if you are honest with yourself, you would acknowledge that if the Jets or frankly any other team for that matter had to make that decision, they would start their high 1st round pick.

5. JStokes

And I've said this about Wentz--he is the ONLY QB in this draft I'd be excited about them taking.

But you have to admit--he's a huge wildcard. I love his size, arm, athleticism--the whole package.

I just don't know whether he's going to be a superstar or a complete bust.

Never having seen him play against big time programs with big time talent around him AND against him leaves a tad bit of doubt in my mind.

For instance--I had ZERO doubts about Mariota. Him going second IMHO is a home run.

Wentz going second could be a home run or it could be a strikeout. We just don't have enough info to make a proper guess.

_

6. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

well, he is gigantic, hes impossible to take down and he can throw a football like 500 yards on a rope......hes a project FOR SURE but its not fair to say he hasn't shown anything towards being an NFL QB

7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

You're describing JJ Watt

8. JStokes

Huge man with huge phiscial skills.

Not sure I've seen enough of his ability to actually play the game.

_

9. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

To be fair, couldnt I say the same thing about petty?

10. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

did you watch the last 3 games of the 2014 season? He was a man among boys

74 likes this.
  11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

If he needs time to sit and develop then he's a project. No QB in this draft is a day 1 starter.

12. JStokes

No, not really.

Petty started his full junior and senior season--26 games.

Jones started only a handful of games and couldn't take the starting job his last year.

If you think their college careers were similar, then, well nevermind.

_

13. JStokes

Right? And he parlayed that into...what exactly?

_

14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Can't look it up now but there was someone on draft board dreaming for Wentz before he became a national sensation. Was that you? If yes, kudos to you.

I am ready to jump on Wentz bandwagon if you can tell me your recent years' QB projections. I mean were you mostly right or wrong on your projections? Did QB's turn out the the way you thought they would?

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Bryce had 2 productive years at Baylor which helps set him apart ... I think in terms of potential, they are all under the same bracket. A lot of questions, concerns and need major development on the bench. These 3 guys have great potential, but have a lot of roadblocks ahead compared to other prospects drafted earlier.

I need to see a lot more from Petty, he's very likable with a strong arm and a will to get better, but I need to see a lot more. I'm HOPING Petty proves me wrong because he's a Jet, but the chance of it happening, slim to none. We can't depend on him to be that guy in the future.

16. JStokes

I think Cardale is the epitome of potential. Could have a MASSIVE upside.

I actually think Hack sucks moose cock and I don't even want him as an UDFA.

_

alleycat9 likes this.
  17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Wentz doesn't need time to "sit and develop". In terms of physical readiness, character and exposure to pro concepts, he's probably one of the most NFL ready QBs since Luck*. Also the "sit and develop" thing is somewhat of a red herring. Every NFL team would prefer to not have to thrust a rookie QB into the fire but that's not always feasible. Similarly, any decent OC should be able to amend their scheme to get a talented rookie ready to contribute on day 1. Mariota was supposed to be years away from being "ready" and he put up better numbers than Peyton Manning did with far less talent.

*Since the name Luck was mentioned, the obligatory disclaimer must then follow: I AM NOT SAYING HE IS OR WILL BE AS GOOD AS LUCK.

18. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I've got no problem with taking Jones in a late round pick (5th sounds about right.) But I'd were going to the long term fix, why not just trade up for a better prospect. Just a thought.

19. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Right, but thats college. You said you werent sure youve seen enough of his (cardales) ability to play the game.

What have u seen from petty that makes u think he can play the game (at a pro level)? The couple of throws he made against 3rd stringers in the preseason? Or the success he had in that system at Baylor?

We havent seen anything from petty to make us believe he is the future of this team. The team that drafts cardale will probably do so for the same reason the jets took petty. Physically gifted guys who need time to learn a pro system. Both of them are projects.

Mac and the CS may have seen something from petty leading them to believe he has a legit shot in this league. Who knows.

However, after a year of working with him and evaluating him, they may only view him as a career backup.

I just think its unfair to praise petty so much when realistically all he has shown us is the same thing cardale has- physical tools.

20. JStokes

I guess the difference is, I saw Petty a LOT in college and I saw Jones NOT a lot in college.

I would never deny Jones' massive physical talents.

But I don't know whether I saw enough of him in college to get a sense if he was even a great college QB, much less an NFL QB.

What I saw of Petty--he was a GREAT college QB notwithstanding the system.

Jones couldn't take the starting job the year after his magical run in 2014. Why?

Was he not that good?

Not as good as the OSU guys in front of him?

I see a natural progression of a guy like Petty from great college QB to NFL QB because of what he did on the fieled AND his physical attributes.

I didn't see enough of Jones on the filed to get that same sense.

Jones might end up being a massive superstar and if we draft him I hope he becomes a bigger blacker less rapey Rothliesberger.

_

cgrec likes this.