If Mo went to Dallas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, Apr 1, 2016.

?

Who do you hope the Jets get at #4

1. Myles Jack

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Carson Wentz

19 vote(s)
    38.8%
  3. Jared Goff

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Laremy Tunsil

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. Jalen Ramsey

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Hard to say cause I don't really know what's going on in negotiations. I will say, getting a 2nd and something would make me far less sick than letting him walk next year and getting a compensation pick in 2 years.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

We already have 2 spread QBs on the roster so we should draft another one who isn't distinctly better than what we already have?

3. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

If we got this years 2 and 3

or

this years 2 and next years 2

its hard to swallow but its the situation we're in, unfortunately. It would help to build a more well-rounded team with greater overall depth, instead of being top-heavy talent (and salary) wise

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Wentz and Goff are both distinctly better prospects than Geno and Petty. You can make the argument that neither of them is better than Geno was in 2013. Wentz is 6'6" 235 and has a very strong arm. That's why he'd be worth a pick as a 2 year project. You'd have him completely redshirt this season and then backup next season and then hit the field in 2018. If he somehow sped up the timetable, well that's great but I think you'd really want him (and Goff) on the Aaron Rodgers timetable.

Goff is a decent prospect but he's from the Bear Raid and he doesn't have all the physical attributes that Wentz does and it's just pretty easy seeing him be nothing special in the end.

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

That is a distinct crock of shit.

_

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

you need to get off that Petty high horse my man ... he's not that special ... I bet if Petty were part of this class, he would go right around where Cardale Jones and Hackenberg will be drafted.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There's a reason Wentz and Goff are projected top 10 picks and Petty fell to the fourth round. Don't be a Pettybot.

alleycat9, Jets69, KingRoach and 2 others like this.
  8. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Better “prospects”, how is that a distinct crock of shit?

Petty was more raw than either guy, played in a simplistic offense, was 2 years older than Wentz and nearly 4 years older than Goff.
    Goff’s game (mechanics + footwork) is in a different world/way more polished and Wentz’s own coach felt they put more on him mentally than what is generally asked of NFL QB’s.

These guys are better prospects, which is why they will be drafted in rd. 1 vs where Petty went.

alleycat9, cgrec, Jets69 and 3 others like this.
  9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

You have that backwards; thinking Wentz and Goff are not distinctively better than Petty is a crock of shit. Your 180 on Petty gets progressively more illogical each passing day. If Petty is as good as you think he is, we should be set at the position. There really would be no need to resign Fitz, trade for a vet or draft a QB early. If the Jets were as confident as you are, he would be our guy ready to take the reigns going into his 2nd year in the same system and GeNOOO our serviceable backup. But I'm pretty sure that's not the case. IMO the best case scenario for Petty next year is that he is our back up. Fitz, Hoyer, Lynch and even GeNOOO have more of a chance at the starting spot than he does.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Im very on board with this. If Mo is traded , still a big if at this point IMO , whoever we pick in that acquired pick is going to be compared for the next 5 years to Mo. Similar to Milliner in the Revis trade. And that isnt fair. There's probably a 1 out of 10 chance that the player we would select with that pick is as good or better than Wilkerson is right now.

So Id much rather get back a high 2 this year and a 2 next year rather than one all or nothing 1st rounder that will basically cement Mac's legacy as either a good GM or a bad GM.

If Mac and his appointed scouts are better than what we've had in the past we'll be able to find very good value in those 2 picks.

11. legler82

We need a better name than Pettybot. We probably can just use "Stoker" since he is the only one super delusional about Petty. I hope his right so I can be called a Pettybot or Stoker.

12. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

You made my point for me. None of them are ready to hit the field now. Unless you're getting a Jamesis that could step in right away I see no point in drafting a project that needs time to sit. We already have 2 of those.

13. legler82

What makes Wentz a project?

14. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

How about Romo and a 2nd?

15. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

me thinks that wouldn't solve the salary cap problem.....however, money aside, if the Cowboys for some bizarre reason offered us that, I will carry Romo on my back from Dallas to NY

16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I find this interesting. I know the draft has become something of a science in recent years, but is it really possible to slot players in so accurately? I don't want you to think I'm knocking what you say, because I've seen similar sentiments from many different sources.

I just don't see, given the massive uncertainty about how any player is going to turn out, how it is possible to fit prospects so definitively into a five-slot window. I get suspicious abut anything more than 'first-round talent' or 'second-round talent'. I would also have thought, with a QB, the value would be slanted. If I ended up with a QB who ended up looking like a worthy first-round pick, I'd think his value was better than a top five tackle or corner.

I know the players are scouted and analysed to within an inch of their lives, but so many of them turn out to be better or worse than predicted.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

The Jets aren't getting a first round pick for Wilkerson. They will be lucky to get a second round pick. There is a good chance they can't find a trade partner, and he stays on their books for 15.7 million.( one more year). .

The Jets don't get a compensation pick for him in 2018( assume they don't tag him again) because they should be big players in Fa (2017 )again.

The Jets should either sign him long term, or get what you can for him. ( crossing fingers it's at least a second round pick). For all the fans who think the Jets are getting a high first or at least a first round pick, are going to be in for a rude awakening .

18. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

PettyPusher!

legler82 likes this.
  19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

You think Hackenberg is on par with Petty? That's not serious. You think Cardale has shown anything to think he'll be an NFL QB?

Being projected as a top 10 pick in a really weak class for QBs when there are a few teams in dire need of a QB--when QBs are ALWAYS overdrafted--means nothing. Geno was once thought of as the top pick in the draft. EJ Manuel was a first round pick. Means nothing. Petty went in the 4th because of the system he didn't play in.

Petty has superior arm talent and is a better physical specimen and athlete than Goff. Goff is going to be very soft in the NFL.

And how can you say Wentz is less raw than Petty? He played against inferior talent--who knows what he would have done at a Division 1 school.

And getting drafted in Round 1 means nothing--if it's an incredibly weak class--which this is--and QBs always get overdrafted--there are goping to be some very disappointed fan basses over the next few years.

EJ Manuel was drafted in the first round.

_