If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

every QB is different, some are ready to play week 1 and some are not. If they draft Mariota and they feel he is ready to play he should start but they should not force it like they did with Geno who clearly was not ready to play.

legler82 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

is possible is it not that people just aren't sold on the options available. Questioning Mariota or some of these truly slap dick FA QBs does not necessarily mean you think Geno Smith is good. I think they should (and know, they will) try to upgrade the QB position in the offseason, the problem is with the #6 pick in the draft and this group of FA QBs, I am not sure they will in 2015.

The 1985er and FJF like this.
  3. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Serious question for people who really like Mariotta to the point where you say draft him no matter what the offer basically......

Do you feel that strongly about him that you would be willing to trade next years #1+ to move up to 1 to get him? Like the Giants /Skins did. Eli / RG3 were their guys and they went all in on him. Worked out great for one, not so much for the other. but point is they felt he was their guy and went for it.

Are you willing to make a bold move like that for Mariotta? I honestly just haven't watched enough of him to go that far, so looking for peoples opinions.

tiger8mush likes this.
  4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I don't make a hobby of keeping track of what Eagles fans think, but I have done some of that on this issue. My impression is those in favor of trading him do so because they think Kelly should be able to get the Qb he wants for the kind of offense he wants to implement. To be sure Foles is a pocket passer and not a mobile one.

But I don't see any significant percentage of their fans who think Foles is a bad or even flukey Qb.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I think there are a number of options out there that would be a real upgrade.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

One of the things to remember about Mariota is that his college success has been in a system where he totally controlled the pace of play, hurrying things up often to catch the defense off balance. He played against many teams that hadn't seen the Oregon offense in action often. In the NFL that's going to totally change up for him. The game is going to be much faster and the system he runs is going to be low tempo compared to the Oregon scheme. He's not going to be in control of the tempo as much as he was at Oregon, particularly in the first year or two. All the NFL teams he faces after the first half season are going to have enough film in the can on him to break down his game and find the weak spots.

Geno couldn't adapt to the changes above. He was making good plays and terrible plays early on and then teams figured out that if you just blitz him, particularly with overloads up the middle, his game falls apart. The good plays mostly went away and even when Geno got some of the mistakes under control there wasn't enough left to run an NFL offense effectively.

It's 50/50 we're saying the same thing about Mariota in 2 years if he winds up getting drafted by the Jets. He's got most of the same transitions to make that Geno did and while he may be a better prospect he's still got a real chance to fail because the defenses are more in control of the tempo and his weaknesses are more on display than they were at Oregon.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good post Brad, that's exactly how I feel about him

The only thing I'll say is that we have a new staff now. A staff that hopefully** would better manage the QB position in general and recognize Mariota's strengths/weaknesses. Drafting Mariota and putting him behind center, in a very slow paced, "ground and pound" philosophy ala the Rex Ryan plan, would make things worse IMO. Say what you want about Geno Smith but that really was not good for him.

If they take Mariota and let him spread it out, maybe incorporate some elements of the speed game, like some no huddle and/or rhythm passing. And be cognizant of his weaknesses, they might be just fine

#147 BrowningNagle, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I think the list of available qbs right now is full of jags and never were's.
    And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if whoever is signed could not come in here and grab the starting job. but i won't hold that against the f.o. because its the hand they are dealt right now. Bad time to need a qb but such is the life of the jet fan

9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

lulz. Well played.

_

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

True and if they traded up to #5 to make sure of grabbing Sanchez, then assuming Tampa Bay drafts Winston, I'd trade up to #2 to 'Chip Kelly-proof' my grabbing Mariotta.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained--and we're talking about the QB position.

The only problem: are the Titans that comfortable with the idea of Zach Mett as their go-to QB?

11. nyjunc

keep in mind we gave up virtually nothing to move up to take Sanchez as Mangini took a bunch of our backups as part of the deal.

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I didn't say we didn't get him on the cheap, I'm saying that the 'QB-potential gain' in play here is worth trading up for generally-speaking.

13. nyjunc

would we have traded up if not for that great deal? if mccaggnan and the staff feel he is worthy of trading up I am all for it. if, after they go through their evaluations they feel they need this player than get him at almost any price. if they are just looking to get a QB for the sake of getting a QB then I wouldn't want to do it.

14. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

What can anyone tell me about Kevin Patullo? I don't see a lot of info online other than he's a Chan guy. Does he have any track record developing guys?

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

One would assume that would be their common sense thinking. It's not about getting a body based on position alone, it's the player involved, that is, is the "Mariotta package" worth it? In my humble opinion, from the skill set I've seen from this guy and the potential ceiling that represents, I'd pull the trigger.

16. nyjunc

that assumption wasn't correct w/ Geno. I think sometimes teams just want to fill a perceived need, I prefer best available over need.

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? What assumption? As for Smith, it looks (thus far) like a blown pick.

18. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

I've wavered back and forth on this, but I trade down. We can snag a great WR prospect in the mid-first round and get a bounty of other picks from the trade. Mariota will have a major transition to the pro game, and I have concerns about his ability to stay healthy with how much he moves around. I would not be mad if we take Mariota, I'm just not "all-in" on the guy.

19. nyjunc

you wrote:

I don't think Idzik used common sense, he took a QB just to take a QB then forced him to start.

20. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

So Idzik is responsible for keeping Sanchez in the game against the giants to win a big snoopy trophy? That's why Geno started, not because he was picked in the second round to fill a need.