If I were Tangini....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsGoFar, Mar 26, 2006.

1. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

I look for the best possible deal to trade down while staying in the top 13.

There's been talk on this board of the Ravens wanting Vince Young. I say GREAT! and would be in favor of taking their top 3 picks (#13, #45, and #77) in exchange for the #4 pick. Let's see what the best deal is, but for arguments sake, we'll have taken this particular deal.

Here's why: The only players I see that are worthy of a #4 pick for the Jets in this draft are Reggie Bush, Matt Leinert and Mario Williams. Why no D'Brick?

With D'Brick, we can draft a long-armed, athletic, quick footed LT that can help protect our QB for the next decade. He has been groomed with good experience on the college level and comes in ready to start right away. And he could be a great one, even though his run blocking is nowhere near his pass blocking ability in handling speed rushers etc.

Problem: We already have Adrian Jones, who actually has less experience than D'Brick. BUT he has the SAME measurables (height, length, speed), athletic ability, and he's got a great work ethic. For the Jets, even though we were bad last year, to believe so highly in this guy to start him on the O-Line last year after ONE year in the NFL (especially since he played one season in college football as a tackle after being converted from TE) speaks volumes to me. He's known to have an excellent work ethic, and played well last year considering he had to bounce positions like a ping pong ball. First, at left tackle, then to right tackle, then back to left tackle. I guarantee you that if he had been a left tackle his entire career in college, he would've been easily a 1st or 2nd round pick with his measurables and ability...and we would all look to him as our LT for the next decade as well.

SOLUTION: Keep Jones at LT. Keep working with him, and he'll be a great LT for years.

What if the Saints DON'T select Mario Williams?

With Mario Williams, the guy is an absolute BEAST and a FREAK of nature with his measurables. If we do not trade down, this guy is the ONLY reason to stay at #4 in my opinion. He could be the next Julius Peppers.

Problem: The Jets have a lot of potential and talent along the defensive line, yet we don't know how they truly will fit the schemes that Mangini and Co. will install. We also truly need to rebuild the offense with guys in the trenches and adding playmakers. If we added McGinest this offseason, the answer to me would have been easy. TRADE DOWN. But, Williams makes it hard to do if he's available.

SOLUTION: If Williams is available, take him. If not, TRADE DOWN to best available trade that ensures us a TOP 15 pick. None of the other players IMO that are our needs is worth a #4 pick to us (Cutler, D'Brick, AJ Hawk etc.) With a top 15 pick, I'll be more than happy to take the next L.T. in DeAngelo Williams. He's got speed (4.35), shiftiness, durability, heart and professionalism (similar to Curtis) to be the best Jets RB ever.

--------------------

If we were to take a deal like the idea from the Ravens:

We are rebuilding the entire offense, and we need as many picks as possible. I, for one, think the Jets best option for a QB this year is to draft a Brodie Croyle/Omar Jacobs/Charlie Whitehurst in the 3rd round while solidifying the rest of the team with as many picks as we can get. While I love the idea of Leinert, I don't think he's worth the extra picks it would take to move up, especially if they think Penny could return and that Ramsey's untapped potential could surface under our new regime. We certainly have 2 extremely motivated QB's in Penny (to save his career and reputation) and Ramsey (who's working on a one-year deal and has a true opportunity here).

To add the #13, #44, and #77 while giving up #4 is a good deal if you can get it in the STRONGEST draft many experts have seen ever if not just a LONGGGGG time.

First Two Rounds
    #13: DeAngelo Williams/RB
    #29: Nick Mangold/C
    #35: Best Available OLB (Lawson, Carpenter, Greenway, DeMeco Ryans)
    #44: Ryan O'Callaghan/RT

2006 Jets Offense

QB Penny/Ramsey/3rd round pick
    RB Williams/Martin/Houston
    FB Askew/Lawton/Draft pick
    TE Baker/Dreesen/Lamkin (Jolley traded or released)
    LT Jones/Morley/Cavka
    LG Kendall/Snell/Nienhuis
    C Mangold/Katnik/Missant
    RG Moore/Snell/Nienhuis
    RT O'Callaghan/Morley/Jones
    WR Coles/Dwight
    WR Cotchery/McCareins

---------------

On another note, honestly speaking, I have the feeling that Ty Law will somehow be a Jet. With all the cap room we have plus the lack of quality free agents left, I can see him signing a 3 year deal with $10 million guaranteed for about $18 million. I'd do it if I were the Jets. Ty's only gonna be better and Justin Miller can only get better as well.

Sign Ty Law and Sam Adams and call it a day.

3-4
    DE Robertson/Thomas
    DT Adams/Pouha
    DE Ellis/Ball
    LB Vilma
    LB Barton
    LB Hobson/Draft Pick (#35)
    LB Thomas
    CB Law/Barrett
    CB Miller/Strait
    SS Maddox/Washington
    FS Rhodes/Coleman

4-3
    DE Thomas
    NT Adams/Pouha
    DT Robertson/Draft Pick
    DE Ellis/Ball
    LB Vilma
    LB Barton
    LB Hobson
    CB Law
    CB Miller
    SS Maddox
    FS Rhodes

2. vilma baby

vilma baby New Member

ummm what about kimo? we signed him to a 9 mil contract. I think he will start.

3. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Erik Coleman has a sophmore slump in which he still racked up over 100 tackles and he gets benched?

I don't think 1 below-average year merits you bench time...

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

What talent do you see at the DL position, particularly at pass rushing DE? The Jets now have a huge hole with regard to the pass rush and Williams fills that need. Ellis is an average pass rusher at best and Thomas, having played 4 seasons already, is no longer a prospect and is what he is - a good insurance policy and back up.

5. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

Wow, you are absolutely right.

I guess I should starting writing these posts after my first cup of coffee! Yep, Kimo starts. Maybe Thomas is the backup DE and starting LB in the 3-4 alignment.

6. hazmat

hazmat New Member

No way that Mangini takes a running back with a top 15 pick. If you can't win the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball then you need to take care of that first. Good offensive lines make average nfl running backs look very good...

7. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

I think you'll see more blitzing from the linebackers and that's where you'll see the biggest difference. Vilma will blitz more, and Thomas (DE/LB) and Barton are capable of creating some problems as well. Ellis, if healthy, will regain his form and get some sacks for us. Watch for more cornerback blitzing to occur as well, with Rhodes fast and athletic enough to cover wideouts.

Will this all work out? What the hell do I know, I'm just a fan. All I know is I want Ty Law back, Sam Adams signed, and let Mangini figure out the rest.