If I were Pennington...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by supersonic, Feb 22, 2006.

1. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

I would take the money and tell the Jets to scratch. First of all. You need a solid year...12 full months AT LEAST to recoop from ligament damage in your shoulder. I've had ligaments repaired in my shoulder and it is a BITCH. Penny should refuse to negotiate, let the Jets cut him and give himself at least 12 months to heal and then let another team pick him up. Face it, QB is the highest demand position in the league. He will get picked up.

Unfortunatley, I'd hate for the Jets to lose the money and for Penny to be out of the game any longer, but instead of trying to convince the world that he is superman...that is what he should do.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

The number one reason why I would want to be cut if I was Penny is because I would know that the team is going to stink for the most part next year so why not try and go to a team where he can have more success?

3. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Because he won't ever get the opportunity to start again

4. supersonic

I think he will start again. Maybe not here, but somewhere. He is too good to ride the pine. When he is healthy his QB ratings are always in the top 5. Plenty of teams will give him a shot.

5. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

If the Jets weren't willing to build upon the $1 million offer, I'd like my odds of getting that elsewhere (even if it was as nothing more than a place setter for another team's rookie QB. However if the Jets bend a little on the offer and up it to say 2-3 million, Chad would be making a mistake to turn it down.

6. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

Chad should tell the Jets to get fucked.

The guy, when healthy, is one of the best quarterbacks in the league, as well as a leader.

I'll root for the guy wherever he goes.

7. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

....till he gets hit .....and shatters.......again

8. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

What money would he be taking? He's collected everything, and if he walks he doesn't collect another dime.

9. Johnnytint

Johnnytint Member

Chad will get no more than Vet Minimum from any team in the NFL. He should take the 1 million plus insentives. Its the best deal hes going to get.

10. leolovesthejets

leolovesthejets New Member

TO the original poster.... look what happend to Tim Couch, he was cut and hasn't made a team yet. Hi agent was Condon was well. Same as chad.

11. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

and he really didn't have any injuries, he just plain sucked, chad will be in a much worse position on the open market.

12. kevin68

kevin68 New Member

But Chad is better than Couch. Even though he doesn't have a rocket arm, he is a good QB. That's why he will signed by another team if the Jets decide to cut him. Not for the money he would get in New York of course, but he is too good to sit around all year

13. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

I can't imagine anyone signing him without knowing if he can play which won'y happen til most if not all FA are already signed.

14. thejetsaddict

thejetsaddict New Member

He will never start ANYWHERE ever again, and he knows it. The Jets is the only place he will get a chance to. Thats why he will stay.

15. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

I know a couple of places where Chad would get a job: One of them is Dallas with the man who originally drafted him and where there's a 93 year old QB.

Another place is San Francisco, home of the West Coast offense, where Bill Walsh still gets to stick his nose in and Walsh was very high on Pennington on Draft Day 2000.

Add to this group any team without a decent starter (Arizona, Detroit, Green Bay?).

He may not be ready this year, but there are people who will wait for him.

16. supersonic

Yeah, but Couch was not half the QB chad was either.

17. supersonic

That is crazy. They contractually owe him like 12M. Why the hell would he renegotiate and take 1M + incentives? So they can throw him to the wolves behind a new rookie offensive line? He should take his money and wait it out.

18. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets owe him nothing if they cut him before his $3m roster bonus (March 3?). There is no money for Chad to 'take and wait it out'. His contract is not guaranteed. He must renegotiate or sign somewhere else - for veteran minimum, no doubt.

19. supersonic

Are you sure about that? It was my understanding that we owe him another 12M as part of his signing bonus. Or was it that we already paid him that and we still owe it against the cap it we cut him as dead money?

20. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

If another team does sign him and I hope its Miami I wish Chad and the next team luck. I must admit he is a smart QB with some great skills but he has the body of an eggshell and the heart of a lion. In the NFL you need the body of a tank and the heart of a lion. One will not make it in the NFL. Take the money and run Chad you do not want to be behind a rookie line next season. RUN CHAD RUN ---- Go Jets