If Gase gets fired mid season, who takes over as interim head coach?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets81, Sep 28, 2020.

?

If Gase gets fired mid season, who takes over as interim head coach?

1. Williams

2. Cooter

3. Oswalt

4. Other

5. Boyer

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you were the Jets what would be your over-riding goal for this season at this point?

My goal would be keeping Sam Darnold a viable option going into 2021. He's the best asset the Jets have at this point and he's at the most important position on the field. He will cost the most to replace and his position is notoriously hard for any team to replace reliably.

I don't think Williams is the guy you want running the team if they have to continue to run 3rd-class offensive pieces around Darnold for the rest of the season.

Let's say Williams pulls off a miracle and the Jets win 6 or 7 games the rest of the way. Where does that leave us? Darnold is still not going to be looking all that good and suddenly the Jets high draft position isn't there any more either.

I really think the Jets have to suck it up and let Gase finish what he has started. By the end of the year we'll know whether or not Darnold is worth the commitment of a 5th year option. If the Jets have blown chunks all year, well there's a high pick to go looking for the QB and a new HC coming in to help Douglas make the pick.

If we do an early firing now the odds on the Jets being completely unstable entering the off-season, with a failed coaching regime, an interim coach we don't want to keep and a 6-10 pick that won't get us the top QB in the draft go way up.

Sometimes you have to sleep in the bed you made because changing the sheets in the middle of the night doesn't guarantee they won't be soiled again by morning.

Cman68 likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If we drafted Mahomes instead of Adams, it would've dramatically altered the Jets history. Not only would he have likely extended the jobs of Bowles and Macc, there would've been (theoretically) more talent on the team because Macc wouldn't have had to give up those three #2 picks to move up to take Darnold. And rather than be handcuffed by the "QB Whisperer" like Sam has been, Mahomes would've just done what he does: improvise when the play breaks down and make something good happen. No, he would not have been as successful as he is in KC, but he would've been the best Jets QB since Namath, and probably would've surpassed him eventually.

That's why, if the Johnsons had ANY football sense, they would've fired Macc immediately after that draft instead of extending him (and Bowles!). It was a franchise-altering mistake as we can plainly see today.

3. ColoradoContrails

I understand your logic, but you're minimizing the damage that Gase has already done to Sam, and that which he will do as the season wears on, thus preventing them from knowing whether Darnold is the answer or not. With any other coach, Williams or anyone, Darnold has a chance to perform outside of Gase's ridiculous system.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but we'll have to disagree on this. I don't think Smith or any other former HC is going to be willing to come to the Jets with their sorry roster, and just manage the clock, the philosophy, and not have people he knows and trusts running the various units of the team or running the systems he is familiar with and confident in. He knows he'd probably lose the majority of the games, and that wouldn't help him get another HC job if he was interested in that. Their ego would get in the way.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Cooter needs to be OC so he can work with Sam during the game. As HC, he would have to pay attention to the game and wouldn't be able to help Sam much.

6. NCJetsfan

He also passed on HOF LT Walter Jones in the same 1st round as Pace and took James Farrior instead.

Sack exchange likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

He might have busted his leg, but he wouldn't have been a bust. Sorry, but that's just nonsense!

legler82 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

He doesn't have enough career attempts to qualify (I think the QB has to have 1,500 attempts), but I heard on the Dan Patrick show this morning that for QBs with over 1,000 passing attempts, he is slightly ahead of Rodgers in career TD to interception ratio. For those QBs who qualify, Rodgers is ahead of 2nd place Russell Wilson

9. NCJetsfan

Don't forget the 1st round pick in 2018 as well. No one ever remembers it. They traded their 1st and 3 -2nd round picks to move up and take Sam. If they hadn't traded up to take Darnold, Denver probably would have, so the Jets could have possibly taken Bradley Chubb, or at worst, could have taken one of Quenton Nelson, Roquan Smith, Mike McGlinchey, or with Mac drafting, he could taken Daron Payne. With the two 2nd round picks he could have taken two of Darius Leonard, Braden Smith, Ronald Jones II, James Daniels, and Courtland Sutton. In the 2019 draft, he could have taken one of Rock Ya-Sin, Jawaan Taylor, Deebo Samuel, Greg Little, Cody Ford, or Dalton Risner.

In addition, if Mac had taken Daron Payne, he probably wouldn't have taken Q. Williams and might have taken the Edge Josh Allen last year.

We could have had a pair of bookend OTs, an Edge, or elite OG, excellent ILB, and either a CB or excellent slot WR. That would have enabled Mac (most likely) to have taken Lamb or Jeudy this year with the 1st round pick. The money that was used on Crowder in FA could have been used to improve the team elsewhere. That's the thing that most fans miss. It isn't just the players taken with the picks used to trade up, but it's also the snowball effect, that causes other moves in future seasons. This team could have been radically better. Of course, Mac would have undoubtedly screwed it all up and taken the only players who busted at those points in the draft or would have busted with the CS we had.

#69 NCJetsfan, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    legler82 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, I did forget about that #1. And that's what I meant by "franchise-altering"...it was a massive mistake, and some of us knew that then - not a case of 20-20 hindsight.

I've moved on, and have focused on hoping that Darnold can at least be the FQB they've been looking for for decades, even if he isn't Mahomes, and I'm annoyed that so many here are so quick to toss him aside when we haven't even been able to evaluate him properly due to the surrounding BS of poor coaching and talent. I still think he can succeed, but not as long as Gase is here.

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You rang?

[​IMG]

Cman68 likes this.
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I would hope that whoever is hired or promoted to interim coach is actually a guy who's getting a twelve game audition for the real job; that's the best use of the position if they target someone not currently working in the NFL.

Whoever it is I want a QB coach hired by Tuesday, I don't care where he comes from, even if it's a Division 2 guy with the year off who is a real technician. It's preposterous that the Jets haven't glued a guy to Darnold's ass since he's been here. It could be the only thing that keeps him as a starter. It should definitely be enough to see if he belongs here going forward.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, that's my Plan A.. :)

Red Menace and Br4d like this.
  14. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Hiya remember our chat after Gase was hired last year? :mad:

Cman68 likes this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yep... and apparently we can have that exact same chat again... Sad isn't it..

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Williams doubling up the other choices combined.

He probably would be the choice, but does that make it the right choice?

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

What’s more unstable than keeping a loser HC for the year and allowing him to ruin what could be a FQB?

I’m not worried about draft position right now, it’s JD responsibility to draft well no matter where he sits on the board.

I’m concerned with salvaging the QB we gave up a ton of picks for, which helped the Colts stabilizes their offensive line by the way.

Fire this loser after tonight, no need to keep this going on any longer.

If the Jets turn it around with Williams at the helm it will help JD figure out exactly what he needs to do in next years draft to fill fill in missing pieces.

This team under Gase looks like JD has to fill in every position with exception of LT and Safety.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't know what is going to happen around the Gase situation at this point. I do know that if you hand Sam Darnold to his 3rd offensive scheme in 3 years with the talent around him right now that the odds go way up that he is a flameout and the Jets are starting over again from scratch.

If Darnold flames out right now the jets are the worst team in football and I don't know if Douglas can fix that in a timely fashion. I don't know that anybody can fix that in a timely fashion.

19. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Should have kept Douglass and taken Pace. Trying to be too cute. And to make splash. Should have just worked the draft as it fell, overall we would have come out better, maybe we win the 98 SB. Douglass was quite the force in Philly. Farrior was underacheiver with jets, went to Pittsburgh for nothing, then he was great. Parcells was not great GM, but knew how to win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If someone puts a bag of dogshit on your porch, do you keep it there for the sake of continuity?

NCJetsfan and Sack exchange like this.