If Bosa and Allen go 1 - 2?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Harpua, Mar 7, 2019.

?

Who is your third choice

1. Jonah Williams

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Quinnen Williams

23 vote(s)
    56.1%
  3. DK Metcalf

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. Ed Oliver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jawaan Taylor

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  6. Brian Burns

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  7. Other

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Q Williams or trade down. The Jets will get their own Williams wall or will trade down and still be able to get most others on the list (Jonah/ DK / Taylor / Ferral etc)

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

In this scenario, I'd try like hell to trade back a bit to get more picks.

If I stayed at 3, Williams or Devin White.
    Surprised no mention of White in this thread. Very clean blue chip prospect, versatile in formation, high motor, high character leader.
    I don't anticipate the team will give Lee a fifth year option either, so it's going to fill a need.

#82 BacktoQueens, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I just think he is a better 4-3 D prospect as the 3T (Michael Sapp) position. IMO he's a little light to play DE in a 3-4, and I think some of his strengths would be wasted playing 3-4 much of the time, just as Barr's talents have been wasted in Minnesota playing in a 4-3. The only real need on the DL is a NT. Q. Williams is definitely too light to play that.

In addition, the DL is the least important unit in most 3-4 D alignments. We have Leon Williams at one DE spot and Henry Anderson and maybe Shephard or a FA at the other. Why use yet another premium pick on a unit that is of the least importance and where we have already spent far too many 1st round picks. The insanity must stop. We have a ton of other needs that are far greater than DE and there are talents that are just as good as Q. Williams at those positions. Besides he could be a one year flash in the pan. He had one year of great production. I'm not using the 3rd pick in the draft for a player like that.

Finally, I'm generally very suspicious of Alabama players. They are surrounded by talent at Alabama, get great coaching, and may have a very high floor but a low ceiling, yet are almost always highly rated entering the draft. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of that many Alabama players that have lived up to their billing in the NFL. Many are solid pros, but aren't the great players that they were claimed to be.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Very true. I am thinking that the last Alabama line player to match or exceed expectations was actually Marty Lyons back in 1979. And Barry Kraus @ LB -- who got the SI cover shot stopping Penn State on the goal line -- was a bust.

Alabama players who got 1st Round and/or very high 1st Round selections have been disproportionately busts and/or underachievers.

That said...I don't think Williams will be that. I am just wondering if he might be like Leonard Williams -- OK, but not great. Remember, when we got LW people said we got the "steal" of the draft. He's no Vernon Gholston, but he's no Aaron Donald, either.

5. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

My top 3 for the Jets:
    1. Allen
    2. Bosa
    3. Montez Sweat - his 6’6” frame, length (longest reach recorded), 4.41 speed, athleticism are rare. Production was solid in college, but he’s starting to fill out + although slightly raw, his best days of football are ahead. This is no Vernon Gholston...

6. SoylentGreen

BTW - I love Williams + believe he is the best player in the draft... but when the first 2 teams pass on him for positions other than Qb, you’ll know what the NFL thinks about DT’s...

joe likes this.
  7. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Why wasn't his production BETTER and how do we know he's no Vernon Gholston or DeWayne Robertson -- both "can't miss risers" who were the Hot Names in the weeks leading up to the draft ?

He's a big reach at #3. BIG REACH. Like Blake Bortles big reach.

8. SoylentGreen

Rare specimen, record reach, speed, got by in college with raw ability... I think he can develop into a top DE like a Clowney, who had less tackles and sacks in his last two years of college. Not saying I want him over Bosa or Allen... I'm just not loving the idea of another DT if we are sticking with a 3-4.

Also he has the ability to bend and wrap - two things Gholston could not do. I've also seen him make plays one on one with RB's in space... again something Gholston could not do.

joe likes this.
  9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"REETAHDS HEEYAH!!!..........GET 'CHA REETAHDS!!!!!"
    [​IMG]