Idzik spot on..sorry those who disagree

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nevbeats319, Aug 11, 2014.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

the numbers 2-5 defenses in the nfl last year were the panthers, bengals, saints, and 49ers

without looking it up, can anyone name the starting corners on any of those teams?

ever since 09, the cornerback position has been severely overrated by this fan base

deeznuts21 likes this.
  2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Captain Munnerlyn,Leon Hall,Dre Kirkpatrik,Keenen Lewis.I think that's right

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Compared to you, Rex Ryan overrates the Cb position.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

It's an apples to oranges comparison as those defenses are not using the same schemes and/or have the same defensive principles. The better comparison would be Rex's Jets defenses with and without a dominant CB. When we had the baddest CB on the planet healthy our D was #1 and #3 in 09 and 10 respectively; we also were a game away from the SB both years. Without him and far more talent in the front 7, our defense hasn't faired as well.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Argument goes both ways.

What about 2012 when Cromartie stepped up when Revis went down and had the year of his life? Was a top 3 corner that year. What was our defense ranked then? 8th in the league.

If you're gonna make an argument about corners being important in the years you listed, you can't bring up the talent in the front 7 of the other years we were ranked poorly. Keep your argument the same with the same variables.

2009 and 2010 - Darelle Revis (top 3 corner then)
    2012 - Antonio Cromartie (top 3 corner then)

It's not the corner position that impacts us. It's the safeties and front 7 that make a big difference.

We had a dominant corner in 2009 and 2010 when we were ranked 1 and 3. We also had a dominant corner in 2012 when we were ranked 8. More pressure falls on the pass rush and safeties than cornerback. We were 6-10 with an absolute dominating performance by Cromartie in 2012.

#65 Falco21, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    deeznuts21 likes this.
  6. legler82

Had a hard time following the above argument. Cro was a top 3 CB by what metric? There's a difference between having a pro-bowl caliber season vs. being in contention for the DPOY at the CB position. Doesn't the drop off from 1st and 3rd to 8th kinds of support what I wrote?

BTW I'm don't have a horse in this we need a great CB race, I disagreed with using other defenses to support the argument against it. Rex may not like it but until he proves otherwise, that belief that he can't field a great defense w/o great CB play will remain out there. I have to admit going into last year I thought we were going to be a top 5 defense just based on our front 7 alone. I was quite surprised at the impact the inconsistent play by our CBs had on the defense as a whole. I can see why many are now nervous about this year.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Falco21

Again, it wasn't as much the corners fault as it was the entire secondary, including the lack of safeties.

In 2012 Cromartie had his second best year of his career. In that year, he was a top 3 corner who completely shut down the receivers he faced. Yet, we still finished with a defense ranking 8th in the league. In 2009 and 2010 Revis was a top 3 corner who shut down the receivers he faced and the defense was ranked 1 and 3. Why then when we had top corner play in 2012 were we ranked 8th if it matched the corner play in 2009 and 2010 when we were ranked 1 and 3? The answer is the front seven and safety group. In 2009 and 2010 we had a stud front 7 and a great group of safeties. In 2012 we had no pass rush and the safeties were average at best.

Moral of the story? The corner position doesn't impact this defense as much as many believe. The pass rush and safety help impact it a lot more.

#67 Falco21, Aug 13, 2014
  8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Cro had a great season, sure. Dominating? Top 3? Less sure about that. Besides, even if that is your argument we had Revis and Cro together and were top 3 D and then only had Cro and slipped to 8th...so...doesn't that completely support the argument that the ranking of our D is directly related to the quality at the CB position? Hard to follow your logic, sorry.

NYJetsO12 and legler82 like this.
  9. Falco21

When Revis was healthy, Cromartie was struggling big time. He was getting burned left and right and I remember people were in an uproar about him.

In 2012 he woke up. We all wondered why the hell he couldn't show up while Revis was healthy. It took Revis getting hurt for him to play to his potential.

And yes, Cromartie dominated in 2012. He was absolutely awesome that year

10. legler82

[​IMG]

NYJetsO12 and All Gas No Shake like this.
  11. Falco21

Ok, I'm completely confusing years. I was referring to 2009 and 2010, not 2008 LOL

12. All Gas No Shake

rex had great defenses in balitmore w/o great cb play

as falco stated, last year, the safeties were as much of a problem as the corners

the jets have made serious investments in the d-line, but the front 7 was largely made up of neophytes last year ... snacks, sheldon, q, and demario were first year starters at their positions. lets see how much havoc they can wreak with a little more experience before we decide that we need great corners to succeed

13. All Gas No Shake

rex has never had a stud front 7 with the jets ... he turned guys like devito and pouha into above avg players and got the most out of vets who had a little left in the tank like bart scott and sean ellis

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I see what you're saying, but the Patriots are already a contender and have been for a while, so talking about Brady is kinda moot. He wants to win more titles, so him sacrificing for the team makes sense. When you are already a title contender every year it makes sense to spend to the cap and put the best possible product on the field each year. Do you really think the Patriots would have signed Revis if they had, say, Kyle Orton at QB? Of course not, they'd focus more on a offense weapons, because he'd need them. With Brady there, they don't need to focus on offensive weapons. They let all of their best WRs go over the years only to have similar success each year. They aren't in the same situation as the Jets, not by a long shot. If we knew Geno was going to become elite, then it makes sense to spend to cap and add luxury players, but you don't do that when you're building and still trying to find a franchise QB.

Signing Revis would have absolutely hurt the Jets future, because it's less money that can be carried over to next year, therefor less of our own players we retain (mainly Wilkerson and Kerley) and less possible FAs to add next year. It's also foolish to assume Revis would take a one year deal on the Jets. The Patriots are a superbowl contender, he's way more likely to make concessions like that for a contending team. Also do you think Revis would have taken a pay cut to make our team better as a whole? I doubt it.

#74 Barcs, Aug 13, 2014
  15. legler82

When Rex's Ravens defenses were good so was his CB play (i.e., Chris McAllister, Samari Rolle, Duane Starks, Gary Baxter…etc.). The Ravens never had a top defense with any CBs playing as poor as Milliner and Cro played for the majority of the year.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. legler82

There's a lot of revisionist history going on to fit the desired narrative.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The analysis is smart and you are not. BTW this doesn't mean the Jets can't win this year.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

We will just have to disagree about hurting the Jets' future. I don't think with hte amount of money not spent this year that the Jets will require the total effect of the carryover you refer to, and am also skeptical that is the reason Revis was not signed. Imo he was not signed because Woody Johnson hates his guts.

The more interesting point is your first one, which I think is fair enough as far as it goes, but you really did not address my point, which is a more general one. I mentioned Tom Brady because he is totally committed to his team, and I question whether he would be if he did not feel they were committed every year to putting the best team on the field that they could. I specifically mentioned the attitude of veterans and what they think about playing for teams that are rebuilding. Yes, Tom Brady's presence alone has helped, although not been dispositive, imo, of the Pats not needing to go through rebuilding in the sense most mean it. But I think especially veteran players have to question their commitment to a team that is going through rebuilding.

And ftr I don't think the Jets have to be going through a classic rebuilding year this year, but that is another subject as it concerns starting Vick at Qb.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Idzik and Rex are on the same page personnel wise.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Absolutely true, especially from the perspective of fans who have not seen a SB win in 40 some odd years. If the Jets were a college team I would be more thoroughly on board with "rebuilding through the draft". I thought the big difference in the Pros is that if you have the money you can get great players (known commodities, speaking of Keynes lol vs unknown high, low or in between draft picks). Players also feel more confident when surrounded by the best and FA often step up to become team leaders. I know we all hate the Pats, but Blocker correctly suggests that the FO can learn tons by modeling a "fielding a team"vs rebuilding forever plan. Unfortunately, the X factor that I think you left out Blocker, is that Brady recognizes that Bellichek is one genius coach and strategist so it would be very foolish for him to roll the dice with some other team. Can Rex Ryan learn how to "field a team"? I thought that's what he is paid to do. Apparently, Rex is only adept at fielding a decent defense not the whole enchilada. He also inherited a Tannenbaum team that was entirely "win now" in its acquisitions and the result was our last playoff appearance. I am sick with being patient. THIS YEAR is the most important year not the distant future.