Ice Bucket Challenge

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by BeastBeach, Aug 22, 2014.

1. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Hey everybody, Look at Me!!! I'm a good person who may or may not be donating money to ALS(not sure what it is but I know I care about it!! :) )

Look at me as I show my support (This is ME in the video btw...If I didn't broadcast it how would anybody see ME and know I'm donating money...maybe)

Am I doing it right??? (LOOK AT MEEEEEE)

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

This thread lacks a video.

3. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

^OOOps... Guess I AM doing it wrong!

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

dawinner127 likes this.
  5. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Ha I know. I guess the whole attention whoring aspect is what bothers me. Guess you can't separate the two. Call me old fashioned but I wish we were mature enough to enlighten others and donate money without needing to call attention to ourselves

6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Welcome to 2014

7. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Maybe I will move to Australia with soxxx

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  8. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I feel you. I think the whole thing is pretty stupid. But I'm a grumpy ass so whatever go have fun dumping ice water on yourself.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You have to admit it was pretty clever marketing knowing people would eat it up.

10. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Thought this was kind of funny. It's for a good cause, but I am tired of my fb feed being filled with videos. I never got nominated :( haha

11. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

It's a great and noble cause and has done wonders for fundraising for the disease but I can't help but think whoever said it wasn't completely off base- feeding American Narcissism.

But you really can't argue with the results.

_

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  12. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I have no problem with it, I did it. It helps raise awareness, donations are through the roof and even people who maybe can't afford to donate money to it can contribute in some small way.

Plus, it's not "dumping water on you for no reason" the point is supposed to be that people with ALS feel paralysis and the temporary paralysis you feel from having ice cold water dumped on you is supposed to give you perspective on what every second of their life is like even if you only feel it for one or two seconds.

My biggest problem is that people (myself included) do the challenge but then don't tell people where to go to donate or talk about the disease. It's just about doing the challenge and that's it. But, as noted, it's raised a huge amount of awareness and funds as a result

74 likes this.
  13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I would liked to have seen this as Belichick's "ice bucket" challange:

[​IMG]

14. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

The polar plunge takes more balls

15. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I nominate Jstokes, Abyzmul, and Mangolden Showers.

nyjunc and 74 like this.
  16. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I do my ALS tribute to paralysis once or twice a week when I down half a fifth of bourbon.

phubbadaman and JetsVilma28 like this.
  17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I assure you, what "15 minutes of fame" social media types may try turning it into, the 'challenge' was not born out of narcissism. I don't want to come off sounding 'soxxx-ish' (and want to retain privacy) but I have a younger family memeber hooked up with this kid (from their days together at Iona Prep) and he and others have run a number of charity events for this kid (pre-ice bucket). This "win for Quinn" guy's the one who took the ice bucket challenge into the ALS fundraising realm. And I can say this: if you knew Pat (the one with ALS), you'd love him...he's a good kid.

http://www.bustle.com/#/articles/33...r-over-their-heads-to-fight-als-one-bucket-at

#17 joe, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    HAYN likes this.
  18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The ice bucket challenge itself? it comes off as another social media fad, its like people posting videos of the whole "Gangnam style" song, the jumping in the water thing, etc

I bet over half the people doing it, are doing it for the sole purpose of attention, so they can look cool in front of there 1000 facebook friends, (but fail to realize there is a much larger world out there then your little inner circle on facebook that you live and die to impress that only makes up like .00001% of the human population, bottomline is you are a nobody, yet you dedicate your life to make yourself fit in on the intenet.) I doubt half of the people even donated tbh.

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Who gives a shit? Honestly.

It's raised over $55.5 million this year. Whether people are doing it as a fad or not, the numbers don't lie. The so called "fad" has obliterated the numbers last year and is still climbing. Let people do it to get attention or to show off how wealthy they are. If it keeps raising millions, I could give a shit for the reasoning.

deerow84 likes this.