Ian O'Connor: "Weak Woody bamboozled by Rex"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jan 9, 2013.

1. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

this is from muhammad wilkersons twitter this morning.

funny how fitting it is

Muhammad Wilkerson
    (Made with tweegram App) http://t.co/28ymuQ9H

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Ok. I'll play Devil's Advocate here but I'll do it using a timeline so that it doesn't get out of hand.

2000 Woody buys the Jets.
    2000 Belichik runs from Parcells in an almost amateurish fashion.
    2000 Jets collapse down the stretch under Groh to miss the playoffs.
    2000 Parcells helps Woody find Bradway. Bradway helps Woody find Herm.
    2001 Jets make the playoffs for the first time in three years.
    2002 Jets make the playoffs for back-to-back years for the first time since 1986.
    2003 Chad hurt.
    2004 Jets make the playoffs for the third time in four years. That's the first time this has happened in franchise history. (!)
    2005 Chad hurt. Jets collapse. Woody fires Herm and re-assigns Bradway.
    2006 Woody promotes Tannenbaum. Tannenbaum helps Woody find Mangini. Jets make the playoffs.
    2007 Jets collapse. Parcells talent base gone and Bradway talent base not enough.
    2008 Jets trade for Favre. Woody pays big bucks for free agents. Jets collapse at end to miss the playoffs. Woody fires Mangini.
    2009 Jets sign Rex. Jets go to AFC Championship Game.
    2010 Jets go to AFC Championship Game.
    2011 Jets have cap issues and cannot retain all their free agents. Jets and Mark Sanchez collapse at the end of the season.
    2012 Jets have major cap issues and do not sign free agents. Tannenbaum talent base not enough. Sanchez done. Woody fires Tannenbaum.

I don't see that timeline as indicative of a bad manager. When the Jets are winning Woody is all-in and when they are not he makes changes. That looks like a normal managing pattern to me.

#102 Br4d, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The problem is the statement is mostly not true. Look around the league most of the best organizations the coach does not report to the GM but the owner.

4. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

So by incredible you mean 2009 when the Colts and Bengals laid down and let us in the playoffs? I understand we won 2 playoff games but only set up by 2 teams laying down for us

5. Realistic Jets Fan

ian o connor

third rate website columnist with no hits

6. NFL

NFL Active Member

First Woody has a man crush with Tanny, now its with Rex? Pretty much you guys say he has a man crush on whoever isn't fired.. interesting.

7. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

With management, perception and reality collide. If Woody Johnson were such a whopping good manager, the Jets wouldn't be in the current state they're in and we wouldn't be having this discussion at all. I didn't create the topic out of thin air. Over his tenure, this team had talent to win. That's part of the frustration.

8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

IMO 90% of the reason we are in the current state we are in is we have always had sub-standard QBs throughout Woody's time - either they have not been good enough or injury prone - it doesnt matter who your owner is, you cannot magic up a franchise QB or spend the money to make it happen, it either does or it doesnt and we simply havent had the rub of the green on that score (pretty much ever).

A decent QB and none of these threads or this drama would exist.

9. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

The article is the article - it's one man's opinion. Some of us agree, some of us don't. But why do fans insult other fans and tell them they they deserve a loser? That I don't get.

It's not like the Darksiders are coming on here and not caring about the team. Everyone on this board cares, so why can't people just let people have opnions, debate those opinions (which is why we're here, or at least I am) and not throw an insult blanket over people who disagree?

And for the guys who say Darksiders "deserve decades of losing", well..........we've already got that.

10. The_Darksider

11. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Maybe it's me, but it seems as though the complaining is just for the sake of complaining. If we hire Tom Gamble 'OH, he's just a puppet of Rex' if we hire Cohen 'oh, our owner is an idiot and wants to suck on Rex's toes'.

It's just...ridiculous. Personally, I don't think the team is nearly in as bad of straits as people think it is. If it were, there would be no threads about what is going on because apathy would have set in. As it stands, there is anger. Anger indicates passion...

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The homers are just frustrated because the facts have been against them for awhile now. I kind of laugh when they say skeptical fans are bad fans. What is this, a religion or something?

13. The_Darksider

It might seem that way, but it's complaining out of passion and frustration. I speak from experience. I get very passionate about this team, and I hate to see things go wrong.

I've also, and i assume a lot of the older guys on the board feel this way too, seen several of these types of cycles since I've been following the team (32 years). It gets frustrating to see the franchise repeat the same mistakes over and over again and never seem to learn from any of them. This is a down cycle. The Jets are never a putrid team for long ,and never a very good team for long. I, and most like me, just want to see a consistent team that is built the right way and headed in the right direction. If you don't have knee-jerk reactions and try to go "all in" to win, and just stay the course, you eventually get over the hump.

But it starts with making the right decisions, something the Jets never seem to do.

14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Uhm, yup. Everything Rex has said in public this year was a lie, and anyone who cannot see it is a chump. I don't care how many Xs and Os you know, if you are a liar, I do not want you to coach the team I support.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yep. Woody's crime is that Bill Parcells couldn't convince Peyton Manning to come out in 1997 while the Pats got ridiculously lucky on Tom Brady.

I'd definitely convict Woody on that one.

16. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Let's be honest, the Jets have a very below average team right now. The offense is abysmal with absolutely no one who puts fear into an opponent and in spite of that the Jets were still not that bad. I give Rex a bit of a pass because of what he had to work with.

Additionally, I think that even if he put Tebow at QB or even if they put McElroy at QB the result would have been similar give or take a game.

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

And you're being kind to him. This two-bit weasel was a columnist for the POS Journal News - that's all you need to know.

"You know why O'Connor? Because you're weak...you're weak and you're a whinny little cunt. I don't like whinny cunts O'Connor... BOOM!! ...........

... somebody get this piece of shit out of here.."

[​IMG]

18. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

It's time for Woody to just say the hell with it! Make Rex GM and bring in a bean counter for cap control and contracts.

Lets see what rex can do in the draft and free agentcy.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I don't give Rex a pass on the Qb situation, because he had input, or at least the opportunity to have input, on the Tebow trade, the Sanchez contract extension, and the lack of any other Qb candidate coming in to give Sanchez any competition. The question of handling the Qb position did not begin on 2012 Opening Day. It began long before that, and Ryan is responsible for the situation being as limited as it was last season.

20. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

I feel bad for the homers. They've been taking it on the chin for a while. It's comical it has been one debalcle after another. The best compliment I can pay Rex is he has given me a steady supply of laughs (abeit at his expense). Besides, he's the most sophisticated HC the Jets have ever had. Just when I think he couldn't do worse he out does himself. The tattoo was the icing on the cake. :breakdance:

#120 Jon_Snow, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013