Ian O'Connor: "Weak Woody bamboozled by Rex"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jan 9, 2013.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Nah U have to understand Junc thinking so long as they did not lose which means 8-8 or better it was a terrific year. In Junc logic 6-10 is not so bad either :sad:

2. championjets69

Yea a post that hits the nail on the head! :sad:

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

No, the problem is not the things he is saying in relation to current scenario's with this team because he is saying all of the right things. He is being humble, he is not accepting of the way the past two seasons have been, he is engaging a mentallity of wanting to be a intimidating team again and has a goal and vision in place within his words.

There is nothing at all wrong with what he has said to this point..

You are someone that is completely onboard with the media and all the bullshit they put out into the world because you, amongst many others, have a "what have you done for me lately" mindset.

It is crazy to think that so many have already forgetten the great things Rex has already done for this team thus far, I brought up him having one losing season because it's the truth. It's not something I'm using to pad my argument, it is something that is actual fact, something that actually holds weight when talking about wheater Rex is the man for the job or not.

I for one can realize, despite the past couple years, what Rex has done in the overall scheme of things. This is a coach that took us to back to back AFC championship games with the same QB that you referenced as being someone who should have been dumped a long time ago. He has brought a feeling inside of me as a fan that I have never felt before with another coach and I can see that this guy can make a difference and take us to where we want to be, which is champions, given the talent is at least servicable on both sides of the ball.

It hasn't been.

Rex has shown he has what it takes, he has proven that he can be successful with this team and he has what it takes. That is the overall basis on why he is still here and MT is not.

The media just encourages these horse shit stirring the pot type knee jerk reactions that are fucking borderline retarded. So a lot of us have every right to be pissed off at all the negative filth the media throws out there.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

you are hopeless.

Have a nice day.

5. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

6. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

It's amazing to me how every single beat writer, every single sports writer, every single sports analyst, every single sports personality, Esiason, Carton, Beningo, Francessa and a large chunk of the fan base are absolutlely positively wrong about the state of the New York Jets and the effectiveness of Rex Ryan. Quite a bout of mass delusion. Thank goodness we have you clear headed Ryan supporters to set us all straight.

7. championjets69

All I have to say to this post is fans in there 50s will be in retirement & on social security if still available when next the NYJs are true SB timber :sad:

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

They have been, the end of '11 combined w/ 2012 have been awful but the first 2 years were incredible and he has earned another chance based on that. Good organizations don't get rid of good coaches too soon.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Not all, just a few "I never be happy Jets fans" that think playing a team with no offensive talent at all is not an excuse to miss the playoffs.

I know Tanny did some really good things in years past, but the condition we left this team in 2011 and 2012 is despicable. Also to give him credit for bringing in Favre was asinine. All that did was setup back a few more years from drafting the real QB for the Jets.

Whomever the new GM is, I WANT HIM TO BE KNOWN FOR BRINGING THE NEXT BRADY LIKE TO THE JETS. We need the stud that will lead the team to victory when the going gets rough, the QB teams will fear, not laugh at.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Woody is the owner, he's always going to be making the final decisions. That's true for every NFL owner.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

HAHA Good one - so very true

12. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I talked about this in another thread. The Jets media relations office is absolutely asleep at the switch. They've allowed a disaster story to be the dominant theme and that Ryan/Johnson press conference did nothing but play right into it. The NY press will write negative stories. The Jets shouldn't be helping them.

Frankly, I don't know why Woody Johnson needed to be on that dais at all. If he wanted to remove any lingering doubt about whether Rex will survive when a new GM is hired, he could have done that in a two-sentence, written statement. Minus the dog-and-pony show.

13. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

The problem with your feel good little statement is that it is a tautological argument. Good organizations have earned your moniker "good organization" because they have won Super Bowls in recent memory. Thus, obviously they didn't fire the coach that got them to the SB before he got them to the SB. It is a statement that is impossible to prove false. Even if Rex gets the Jets to a SB ten years from now, who is to say they couldn't have fired him now and hired the next great coach and built a dynasty?

You are living in a world where you can never be wrong because you are basing your argument on things that are impossible to substantiate.

#73 BeastBeach, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  14. Br4d

With the state the media is in right now I don't think it would have made a difference. Hysteria is communicable and it removes rational thought from the equation.

People who can look at the Jets rationally right now see a team that is at .500 since Woody took them over. They see 6 playoff appearances in 12 years. In other words they see a very average NFL franchise over that span which has maybe performed slightly to the upside of that scale.

If you listen to the media though the Jets have been a rolling disaster that is now going to sink into the muck never to be seen again and it's all Woody's fault (because it's all Rex's fault and Woody has tied himself to Rex.)

Newsflash - the only constant for the Jets since 2000 has been Woody Johnson. Nobody else has been in the same management role in the organization over that span of time.

So the idea that the Jets are suddenly going to flounder because Woody is taking a more visible role just seems ridiculous on the face of it.

Could they go 2-14 next season? Yeah, they could. The talent on the roster isn't very good right now, they have a cap problem from hell and they have no QB.

If that happens it happens. And yeah, Woody will be at least partly responsible for it but his responsibility is mostly a sunk cost at this point. The Jets are shaky right now because of decisions made from 2007 to 2012. Nothing they do in 2013 is going to be remotely as impactful in terms of a disaster as what they have already done.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I have seen it all with this team every bit of it. Yesterday’s press conference was as depressed as I have ever been as a Jets fan. You know when I was the most excited as a Jets fan, when Leon Hess raided the Pats and put a top flight management team in place. The attitude at that moment compared to the attitude yesterday was palpable in their stark contrast.

This team has a meddling owner who has personal input into personal and wants a weak GM to run his football operations and he has a perfect foil in Rex Ryan to do just that.

Watching Rex looking like a beaten dog almost trying to convince himself that this team could be an attack team on both sides of the ball made me feel sorry for Rex. He may have won the internal political battle but he looked like a guy who lost the war to me.

16. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

LOL. Yes it must be a conspiracy! Just imagine if what they say is true. :breakdance: Besides journalists and reporters who don't have a stake in the Jets can't be trusted. We should instead just listen to what Rex has to say.

#76 Jon_Snow, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  17. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Yeah, every bit of this.

18. LockDown

LockDown Member

i'd rather woody make decisions, than steven ross..

19. Br4d

Here's my take on it.

The Jets are rebuilding next year with a nasty cap problem and talent deficits to overcome. The odds on an up season for them are very low at this point.

Woody knows this. He also wants to sell tickets next year and he thinks Rex is the best way to do that in what will otherwise be a depressing year for the Jets and their fans.

He can't keep Rex on as an obvious lame duck because that will hamper the Jets ability to acquire quality management and coaching personnel elsewhere. So he gives Rex two years to get things squared away.

Rex isn't thrilled by being in the position of coaching a likely loser next year but Woody has asked him to be a good soldier for the Jets and coach next year. He's probably told him that barring a total collapse he'll have a job until the end of his contract. He's going to earn the $6 million left on his deal.

Rex might well have told somebody else to bugger off but Woody gave him the coaching job nobody else would and then the Jets stood by Rex through multiple embarrassing PR debacles. Rex owes Woody and he owes him big time.

So that's where we stand. Rex and Woody went shoulder to shoulder yesterday so that everybody understands that Rex is the coach next year and probably in 2014. That props up Rex's ability to go get his OC and it actually helps Woody out in the GM search also because he doesn't have to keep listening to "really?" from the candidates and their representatives.

The guys who will not come to the Jets because of Rex also likely would not come to the Jets because of the cap problem and the general image issue anyway. Woody and the Jets and their fans aren't losing much there.

It's not an ideal situation, but I think we can all agree that no matter what happened this off-season the Jets are behind the 8-ball next year.

20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Ok, first of all I never got the sense of Rex acting like a beaten dog. Never. It is all a matter of perception I guess, I seen a guy that is fed up with losing and acknowledging that the current product is not acceptable and big change is on the horizon. I seen a guy that was acting humbled and dissatisfied with the current state of the franchise and I also can see a guy that has proven capable of leading his team on a deep playoff run and possible championship in the future.

Secondly, you trying to convince me thy you know Woody's preference is never going to happen because you are purely speculating on what he wants for this team and GM.

We don't have a GM yet, so for you to already have the mindset that whoever our next GM is already a flop is extremely biased on your part from an emotional aspect of things because you have no idea who the next GM will be and you have no idea how well he will do once hired.

Your not even giving them a chance at this point.