I wonder if Sam is starting to wish he was drafted by the Browns...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerryjeudy, May 24, 2020.

1. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I suspect that if Allen, Sam and Baker had the option to switch then in hindsight they'd want to go Bills, Browns, Jets.

Bills have built a very good team around their QB and my feeling is that if they had Sam or even Baker then we'd be looking at a soul crushing number of years ahead of the Bills being the new Patriots.

Browns have some very good players but serious organisational dysfunction whereas we have sub-par players & (along with the Lions) are the only real challengers to the Browns title of factory of sadness.

Meanwhile Lamar Jackson is sitting pretty in Baltimore and laughing.

2. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Lamar Jackson could legit start as a tailback in the NFL

And return punts

He doesn’t have the greatest arm, but the sum of his arm + leg talent is literally insane

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

What a shit fucking thread topic.

That is all.

Freddy Mondo and PJ4Ever like this.
  4. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Yep. Crazy to think some member of the Jets wishes he went somewhere else. Not unlike all our 40 year plus fans who wish we put our love in some other franchise.

5. phill1c

phill1c Member

When it's cold outside, do you a) buy a stylish full-length fur coat, a la Reggie Theus, complete with apple jack and Geri Curl, OR b) buy a Nissan Altima?

When you have a great OL and great QB [cough] you really don't NEED an elite WR do you? Same thing in reverse: if you ain't got no OL or no QB, having an elite WR is worthless.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the Jeudy college highlight clips as much as the next guy, but did they stop making elite WRs after he left college?

PJ4Ever likes this.
  6. You need quality players at every position group. Its a game of balance. From a personnel standpoint is about continuous improvement w respect to the cap & long term flexibility.

The boundary has become increasingly more important to on field success. You must be able to produce in the passing game including big plays. You may not need elite but you certainly need legit. Jets WR group has consistently lacked legitimacy.

7. phill1c

phill1c Member

Maybe the boundary is becoming more important. But you have to be able to get the ball TO the boundary to be successful. I agree that passing is ALL important. and to pass well you need a) an OL that can pass protect and that can run block so that you're not in obvious passing situations all the time and b) a QB to throw the ball and manage the offense, and c) weapons with size and speed. I think if you look at the Jets cadre of WRs, both in their measurables and in their numbers (though limited) you'll see a team of ??? but, I believe, you have a dynamic group of fast and/or shifty guys that will benefit from the improved OL play. I mean, you seem to be saying that the Jets have nobody and that they are devoid of talent. I agree they have "nobody" but I think they have plenty of talent.

cval likes this.
  8. The OL is much better,Darnold will be better & the TE/RB groups are intriguing.

I like the size/speed element of the WR group.I think they have good depth & niche guys 3-6. But who are the long term pieces?
    who are the heavy producers? Size & speed is great,alot better than it has been..its a start.But gotta know where the heavy lifting is coming from.WR groups can be greater than their parts if everything comes together..but theyre a player or 2 away at the top of depth chart from approaching that.And w.o it..theyre likely a bottom 5 unit.

They need a Z/Slot type who can run pivot routes & make big plays both short area & over the top. Then maybe things can fall into place.

9. phill1c

phill1c Member

Isn't that either Perriman or Mims?

Long term pieces? at WR?! what is that in today's NFL? Long term money...not needed.

Paraphrasing Obidiah Stane from Iron Man 1, "BRADY AND BELICHECK WON IT EVERY YEAR....WITH SCRAPS!!"

Just saying...

PJ4Ever likes this.
  10. phill1c

phill1c Member

You got me there....

These things take care of themselves when you have two out of the three groups playing at a high level.

lol as i write these things I do see how paper-thin the Jets WRs appear. That said, we have RBs with pass catching abilities and TEs, right? And, again, it's not like rookies are automatically better than, say, some guy getting let go on cutdown day.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  11. No both are X receivers who can win over the top.Mims can do some short area things but hes not a pivot route guy.Perriman can play z but not his best fit or the style player im referring to.

And i mean long term pieces who are drafted to grow w the young QB on a cheap rookie deal.You dont need 10 of them.

Other than Crowder & should Mims workout,not one of the WRs can be counted on to be on team in 2021 or beyond.

Winning w scraps or settling for lesser WR talent due to overemphasis on OL & QB is something ill never agree w

12. phill1c

phill1c Member

I could agree with you, if you hadn't said "overemphasis" when you're talking about an OL that has been the single biggest weakness of the team and one draft. And then I look at the whole Odell Beckham Jr. and see that his production doesn't even correlate to winning. QBs and OL make WRs. The opposite certainly is not true.

Do you think the Jets might have a chance to draft a WR in another draft or is this the last draft class that will have a WR worth taking?

PJ4Ever likes this.
  13. Of course there will be other WRs to take in future classes.This upcoming class is supposed to be very strong at the position.

i just dont trust them to address it head on bc theyve prioritized defense repeatedly & WR has been left unresolved for so long

its not that i think WR is the be all end all,rather the position has changed becomming more impactful over the last 10 yrs & the jets have been horrendous at adapting.

14. phill1c

phill1c Member

"They" is not Douglass or Gase. So, I don't see a reason to worry. Mims is pretty much a 1st rounder in many drafts, just not this one. And they've address the OL, which has been THE major issue with the team.

15. OL has only been THE issue the last 3 seasons. The Jets WR group minus 2015 w veteran rentals has been bottom 5 since 2012. In that same timeframe the position,role & impact has changed.

You can draft all the OL you want.Until the Jets fix the skills w legitimate talent they will not field a competent reliable passing attack & therefore woll not be competitive w upper echelon teams

16. phill1c

phill1c Member

Sorry, no. Two things: the Jets have "legitimate" talent at the position. They just don't have experience. and, secondly, the Jets OL has sucked for 10 years. What games were you watching? Now I'm not going to say the Jets have splurged at WR or even have an above average group. But compared to that sh!t OL, the WRs were gold. And let's not forget the basic football fact: if you can't pass protect and/or run block your receivers are not going to be successful. I don't think drafting two OL is outrageous. Some were advocating using the entire draft on OL.

So, you build from the trenches out, especially if you have the greatest deficit at the position group. It was an either/or situation: either draft OT or WR with the first pick. I guess it makes sense to draft a WR when you can't block for him. I mean, it's just his first year. So what if we haven't addressed the REAL team need adequately, OL, for some WR bauble of limited value to a team that can't block adequately. Even elite WRs need adequate blocking and QB play to realize their potential.

And why is anybody upset about what has been done to address WR. Sure, Robby Anderson is gone. But I had no illusions that he's irreplaceable. He was mediocre, trending upward. And not a No. 1. So, we have some new blood in here, with size and speed. One was drafted, the other was chosen in free agency. Both have the potential to be as good or better than Anderson. Again, I'm not saying WR isn't a concern. But the criticism and negativity about the what's been done to address the group seems ignorant of how much has been done to correct the deficiencies.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That is one skinny dude!

18. Ignorant eh?

1 WR drafted since Sam came on board.1. And a bottom 5 unit in every one of those campaigns.Take a look around at how other teams w young QBs are providing them weapons. Its an absolute JOKE.I guess the Jets are special & dont need to supply theirQB an infrastructure?? Oh im sorry..OL is fine.Cause thats the only thing that matters

OL has NOT been bad for 10 yrs. it didnt fall apart till 2016.Its just the only position you seem to care about.

Hate to tell you,but its a game of balance.Its not 1975 anymore. OL is not the be all end all.Sorry.Its not.

The state of the WR group pertaining to Darnold’s time w the team is totally unacceptable. JD is no longer immune to that aspect bc he had a chance to do something about it this past offseason.He brought in a bunch of camp fodder band aids & drafted 1 guy.Sam’s gone in 2 yrs.And it aint bc of the precious OL

#118 KurtTheJetsFan, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2020
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Remember this picture from a year ago? How things have changed...

[​IMG]

20. phill1c

phill1c Member

Yeah, and they also FIRST provide them with OL. Because WRs come out every year, either through the draft or through free agency. It's not like 6-7 beasts come out every year.

The Jets won plenty of games with the WRs they had, especially in the later part of the year, when the OL started to play better. It was obvious then that the Jets needed an OL way more than upgrades to their WRs. That didn't change because fans get overhyped by the draft.

If it's shown that the Jets didn't get enough at WR this year, they'll address it next year. Football and quality WRs don't stop becoming available because the Jets didn't draft Jeudy instead of Becton.

BUT, I do understand the frustration at seeing sexy talent available and not in green and white. I just think that there are great players always around and they are made because they come into the right place for them. I think the Jets without a dominant or at least better than they have been offensive line are not a place that would ultimately benefit the Jets as much as Becton will.

One reason Jeudy is in such a great position is because he's going to a place where he's the third option...in an already productive offense. The Jets aren't there yet. Just like in the 1980s, the Jets first drafted Chris Ward, Marvin Powell before or at the same time as Wesley Walker. Or Dave Cadigan and (I forget the other guy) when they drafted Al Toon. You need an OL before a WR. A great OL makes decent guys look like all pros.