I wonder if Sam is starting to wish he was drafted by the Browns...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerryjeudy, May 24, 2020.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Personal attacks like this aren't really acceptable my friend. Rest a little huh? 1 week ban for now. Don't repeat when you come back please.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Lol. I was just saying where da Watetboy at? I'm very disappointed that nobody got, "It aint Fuchs." Can't win 'em all. :/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Freddy Mondo and nycarl like this.
  3. jetophile

Would you please stop trying to defend my honor? I'M FINE. Muslims are much better at honor killings for Fcks Sake. He'll shoot himself in the face all by himself. Or not.

Brook! likes this.
  4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Byz would have gotten it, or is it, MacReady would have gotten it?

#24 The Waterboy, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    jetophile likes this.
  5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

While I am not thrilled at the current state of our receivers, we have Herndon coming back which should help. Not to mention we have a guy named Leveon Bell who needs to be more involved in the passing game.

That said, there is still the rest of the offseason (June 1st cuts, training camp cuts, players who want out of their situation) so who knows. Also Joe D shows he has no problem trading for someone mid season like he did with DT.

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Please name the all the superstar wide receivers drafted by the Pats in the 1st round in the last 10 years.

NYJetsO12 and Catfish Billy like this.
  7. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

+1

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's a fair point. But that doesn't mean they don't value their skill position players. They've just found them in different rounds. They've had the best tightend of all time and Prime Randy Moss for three and a half years. They've also had two of the best slot receivers of all time, if not the best. Edelman is incredible and Welker was before him. So was Aaron Hernandez before the murders.

So they value receivers and skill positions. Ever since the first three/four, they've had great skill players. And they draft them, they just see more value in the middle rounds at that position.

I thought we should've nabbed another receiver. I was a bit frustrated that we didn't. I think we could've taken one where we took Perine (although I like him) and waited to grab a RB next year.

#28 Jonathan_Vilma, May 25, 2020
    HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We've all been throwing that worn-out cliché around this off season. I respectfully request that we all stop. That and taking a "Deep Dive" that so many sportswriters are using are about to drive me over the edge. While it is still an accurate phrase in general, it doesn't really have a legitimate use for the Jets imo. Obviously, with all the holes, lack of talent, and lack of depth that we have had due to horrible drafting and trading up in the draft over the past decade, Douglas wasn't going to be able to fix all of the team needs/problems in one offseason. The thing is however, that there are positions that are more important than others, and certain priorities that should apply in this situation that imo should have dictated which holes/needs should have been filled this offseason and which should be kept for future seasons.

The supposed #1 priority last offseason was helping Sam develop into a FQB. So far the Jets have done about everything that is vitally important to help a young QB develop (sound pass protection, quality coaching, stability of offensive system, surrounded with playmakers, and stable lineup) wrong. They've had one of the worst OLs in the league. Their skill position players, their supposed "playmakers" have been mediocre at best. Sam is on his 2nd offensive system in 3 years, and has had limited stability in terms of having the same lineup around him. Of course, with regards to this latter point, unfortunately, since the Jets' offense has been so badly neglected, this has to change, so he will continue to have to deal with the instability there for another year or two. The coaching his rookie season is widely thought to have been pretty abysmal. The coaching last year and this coming season are in doubt. Dowell Loggains as OC??? Adam Gase has only had one very good offense and one winning season, and that was with Peyton Manning.

While he showed some progress, Sam didn't take that big step forward last season (through no fault of his own), so imo it still should have been the biggest priority for this offseason. QB remains the most important position in the game. Sam still hasn't proven himself to be a FQB. Douglas seemed to keep developing Sam as the top priority since he made so much of an effort to upgrade the OL. He has seemingly taken a huge step to upgrade the OL and solidify the pass protection for Sam. Hopefully, that is the case. I think he did a great job in FA and with the draft in that regard, and in trying to correct those things that a young QB needs to develop.

Douglas could do nothing to change the coaching aspect for the upcoming season. The Johnsons may not have given him the power to make a change even if he wanted to, and if he had made a change, Sam would be dealing with his 3rd offensive system in 3 years, and that would be worse. At least Sam will have some stability within the system in which he is playing and with his CS (even though that may be a negative itself).

Douglas took some steps to improve the playmakers around Sam. The big question is, was it enough? For certain he could have done more. Rather than drafting a S, an Edge rusher and a RB that seems more plodder than playmaker, he could have made adding better offensive playmakers around Sam the greater priority. IMO that's what he should have done, but in fairness, perhaps the WRs and RBs that were left that many of us liked didn't possess the traits/intangibles that Douglas was looking for to establish the new culture, or wouldn't have been value picks where the Jets were drafting

Also, in his defense, there was a rush on WRs in this draft and by the 3rd round there wasn't a lot of top talent left at WR and RB. Douglas couldn't do anything about that. He took a risk trading down in the 2nd to add more picks so he could take more players, and was still able to get Mims. I applaud his guts there, but question his wisdom in trying it. We could have wound with no WR or perhaps a WR that wouldn't help this season, and possibly never help us. He obviously was drafting for value, and with the complete team in mind. I'm certain that Greg Williams was in his ear lobbying for certain players or positions. He was trying to have as balanced a draft as he could. In most cases, that's best, but with the way the offense has been mishandled and ignored, no one could have faulted him for having an all offensive player draft. In addition, I have to credit Douglas with taking Mims at #59, when he could have easily stayed put at #48 and taken Jaylon Johnson (CB), Trevon Diggs (CB), AJ Epenesa (DE/Edge), Ezra Cleveland (OT), Josh Uche (Edge), or Van Jefferson (WR). At #59, he could have taken Josh Uche or Kristian Fulton (CB), but took Mims. At #68, he could have doubled down at OT and taken Josh Jones. That would have been nice, but a luxury the Jets really couldn't afford. There were still offensive playmakers that could have helped Sam and the offense however. Between picks #68 and #79, Douglas could have taken one of Ke'Shawn Vaughn (RB), Lynn Bowden (RB), and Bryan Edwards (WR). I can't help but wonder if one of them wouldn't have helped Sam and the team better than Zuniga or Davis.

We'll see how the careers of Davis, Zuniga and Perine go versus the careers of Vaughn, Bowden, Edwards, and Gandy-Golden. The players that Douglas took look like great prospects. Hopefully, Douglas made the right decisions, and the players he took will have better NFL careers than the ones he didn't take. I want to still believe in him and trust him, but it's difficult when we've been so disappointed and frustrated with previous Jets' Gms, and when seeing that the Eagles and Raiders took 3 WRs in the draft to try to help their QBs.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  10. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Using
    Using Welker (undrafted) and Edelman (7th round) are hardly examples that back up the OP point of view.
    They took guys that nobody wanted or thought were starting NFL WRs and turned them into stars.
    Whether it was they were coached up to their potential or a product of a really good offensive scheme, it wasn’t the product of the Pats intentionally going after a physically dominat stud WR.
    Obviously the TE position is a different story for them.

I agree with you that value the position, but it more proves that OP is missing the point that you do not have to be drafting WRs in rounds 1 and 2 to get production from the position.

11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

True, those were really great players. On the other hand, they only had one or two high quality receivers at once. All the others were just so-so and not great. The Jets could easily be in that situation with the players the have right now.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Right. Completely understood. I just feel like fans have neglected the fact that we have probably had the worst grouping of skill position players of the past five years. If not the worst, then definitely bottom 5. I think it's easier to survive with a shitty cast of receivers than it is offensive line, but it still needs to be emphasized.

The difference is that I think it's easier for good quarterbacks to elevate receivers than it is offensive lineman. However Sam NEEDS a go-to target. All great quarterbacks have had one early in their career. Whether it was Kevin Faulk with Brady early on, Russell Wilson with Doug Baldwin, Rodgers with Driver/Jennings/Jordy, etc.

I'm glad we hot swapped Robby for Perriman. But the position is still weak, especially considering Mims is a raw player who made a living running by horrible Big 12 defensive backs. I expect receiver, and pass rusher to be at the top of the shipping list next year.

#32 Jonathan_Vilma, May 25, 2020
    NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Shut up. You are royalty. You are what makes TGG, TGG. You are our past and our future. You are our Hall Of Famer. You are a legend.

14. jetophile

He 100% would have gotten it. The other handful of horror buffs, too. MacReady on the other hand, didn't get it because he got it . . . that we know of. Oh well, since JerryJeudy got unnecessarily banned IMO I guess I'll go watch 'The Night of The Living Dead' for entertainment instead because this thread has in effect been killed off.

Maybe I'll just go put 'The Thing' on. "How will we make it?" "Maybe we shouldn't."

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  15. Preach on!

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Seriously? The Pats had possibly the GOAT QB in Brady, and Belicheat didn't draft some WRs high and missed, so he went the TE route and running the ball, then went with the slot receivers. Expecting Sam to replicate that isn't realistic.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Since 2001 The Pats have taken 3 offensive lineman in round 1 and 1 WR in round 1. They have been winning SB with mediocre WR for years. They have loaded up on the front 7 on D and the OL on O in their drafts. Last year was an exception.

FJF, dmw, stinkyB and 1 other person like this.
  18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Sounds similar to the Jet's 2020 offseason.

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

There is nothing you can do to bring Jeudy to the Jets. Let it go. Maybe - JUST MAYBE - if Jeudy does not get extended after his rookie deal, then maybe Jets have a chance.

But will the Jets bring in a 1st-round WR that can't even get an extension? Think about that.

So - TL: DR? Give it a fucking rest. Ain't happening.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  20. jetophile

[​IMG]
    All I know is that hump makes that catch every time, every day except the one time that it mattered most. I'm still undecided to this day if I should tell him to go fck himself or thank him.

[​IMG]

Scratch that. Who says I have to choose? I've made a compromise. Fck you, Wes Welker, and thanks a million.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.