I want to gauge where everyone stands on the real issue, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BadgerOnLSD, Nov 19, 2011.

?

Where do you fall?

1. I still believe in Schottenheimer

5.3%
  2. I gave up on him this year

29.9%
  3. I gave up on him in 2010

31.7%
  4. I gave up on him in 2009

13.7%
  5. I gave up on him in 2008

9.5%
  6. I gave up on him in 2007

9.9%
  1. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Funny how watching Jets Gameplan Ray Lucas agrees with everyone on here. Wants us to throw it deep and throw the ball more to Keller to open up coverage on the outside. Also, says that Sanchez should be pissed off and wants him to play like it.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Good design can cover up mediocre play. There just isn't a lot good play can do to cover up mediocre design.

Sanchez playing pissed off right now would just lead to more picks. Smarter play on Sanchez part would probably involve checking down religiously until the Jets offense ground to a halt. Oops, that looks like what is happening.

A brilliant design is like the play the Packers made yesterday to set a pick for Jennings to get outside on the goal line and catch the TD. A Schotty design is to have two of his receivers run into each other on their own 9, with Sanchez throwing a pick on the next play. Yeah the pick was a bad throw but so was the entire sequence and you're not going to solve the bad decisions in the context of bad design.

#222 Br4d, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  3. laxin

laxin Active Member

Looking back at that play, that would be ideal for this offense in the redzone- Sanchez rolling to his right, have Santonio run the flat route and Plax set a pick with his big body. Its a simple play in terms of function yet so great because it simply works, but its entirely alien to Schotty.

In that instance I could see a nice screen pass to a WR where he gets tackled for a loss like in the Pit AFCG from Schotty.

And the bolded section is right on. No matter how good we expect our 3rd year QB to play (assuming we arent expecting him to be Brady or Manning), with bad play calling, the offense will not succeed.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I've been crying this out from the bottom of my lung for months. Schottenheimer's offensive philosophy is FUNDAMENTALLY FLAWED. (I have never heard any SDF folks defending this stuff - I have to wonder why.)

1. If Patrick Turner cannot receive deep pass, then Sanchez should practice a lot more with him until he finds Turner's sweet spot. Peyton Manning didn't make his google-his-name receivers play like hall of famers by sitting on his ass.

2. That aside, short passing attack and run-oriented offense never mix. Remember what Aikman had to have to utilize Irvin and Smith. When he didn't have Emmitt Smith (happened a few times due to contract dispute) he would suck royally. Also Irvin and Alvin Harper could get a lot of deep balls (and Jay Novacek for that matter) because of Emmitt Smith. If you plan to use short passing attack to stretch the defense horizontally, then you should find a way to get your RBs involved in the passing game. (That's what 49ers did with Montana.) All in all, combining ground attack with short passing attack is like a disaster waiting to happen - well, disaster that has struck already, is inflicting heavy damage now and will destroy any good talent the offense has gathered somehow.

#224 Zach, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011