I think we have the worst defense in the league

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JoeWillie130, Oct 15, 2006.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Alot of us said it all week..lets see if the defense can carry the offense for one week against a horrible offensive line.

This isnt a darksider post..and Im really happy with the win...but someone on that coaching staff better start answering questions on what the hell is going on. That was pathetic. Horrible...just horrible. Again, another back that has been struggling has a great game..and again down the stretch, they couldnt make a big stop.

How the hell the dolphins left 33 seconds on the clock and had to settle for a 51 yard attempt..thats just poor coaching..because they were able to do whatever they wanted.

A quote from Chris Chambers after the game:

"We don't even think about it when we're in that fast offense," Dolphins receiver Chris Chambers said. "Everybody knows what they have to do. The defense can't really set up for what they want to do. We were just using three different plays and they were working. Everything was clicking."

It was the same slant plays over and over. Now if some want to sugercoat it saying it was a prevent defense to make them use the clock..well them almost used it right in to overtime...another minute on the clock and they could have won it in regulation.

Kudos to the coaching staff for somehow having this team at 500 after 6 games. Some were predicting the Jets to win 3 all season.

With that said, that was a disgrace today. If it was the first time all year...games like this happen...but this is an every week occurance. Pathetic pass rush...pathetic run defense..and horrendous pass defense AGAIN in the 4th quarter.

If you asked me..if I was gameplanning against us right now, I wouldnt know where to start....too many options. Thankfully, Saban and his stupid coaching staff fell so in love with the run that by the time he realized by spreading it out...and no pass rush..it was too late.

Take the win...but someone as to answer for this crap.

2. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I wanted us to move up with that 2nd 1st-rounder and take Ngata !!!!

3. Mickens24

Mickens24 Member

Herm's chiefs are pretty bad defensively as well. That game today was a blowout. :shit:

4. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

Why the heck did we run a 4-3 in the opening series where we were pretty decent and then went back to the 3-4 for the rest of the game???

5. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Hard to argue with that. Even in most of the games that we won, we've been statistically dominated. You have to really wonder if there are any teams bad enough to be held under 100 yards rushing by the Jets.

6. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

The success the defense had in the first half had more to do with the shittiness of the Dolphins then anything the Jets were doing. Twice you had wide open Dolphin WRs flat out drop 3rd down conversions to go along with one of the worst INTs I've ever seen while they were marching down the field.

Predictably, once the Dolphins backs were against the wall they scored at will and went up and down the field in record timel. Luckily Harrington turned back into a pumpkin on the last sequence and fired a couple balls wide or the Jets lose this game.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

That has mroe to do w/ the CS. We have alot of talent on D and they FINALLY played pretty well yesterday until we went into our soft D mode once we got the big lead much like we did at Ten and at Buf.

8. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

it may be that Mangini, et al. are good enough (we really don't know yet) to recognize which players should stay/go next season, but why is everyone so sure we can get the replacements we need? We should not get a top 5 pick. We need help in many places, most especially running back and DL, and where will they come from? Why should this awful situation be fixed in 1 year? someone please show me how so I can continue to enjoy some moments of this season, because it is painful to watch our performance and thoughts of this happeniong next year cause me to lose sleep.

9. Jerome 84

Jerome 84 New Member

I couldn't disagree more. You are jumping all over our D for letting up points in the fourth quarter...but, with the exception of the Indy game, all those points we've let up have resulted in wins! That's where a smart coaching staff concedes a moderate points in the fourth quarter but forces the other team to use up the clock. And I know, all the big tough football guys around here will say "Hey! You play hard for 60 minutes! Put them away!" but that's just not the way smart football is played.

Even yesterday, where we really weren't in prevent mode on that last drive, our defense was just playing poorly, you can see the plan in action. EVERYTHING, was going to have to go right for the Phins to win that game against that defense. 1) They were going to have to not make any mistakes on that first drive, and play quickly, to score without letting too much time off the clock THEN 2) They were going to have to get the ball back without conceding more than 1 or 2 firstdowns THEN 3) They were once again going to have to score quickly and effeciently against a defense designed not to let them score quickly THEN 4) Stop the Jets again without giving up a first down THEN 5) Drive down the field (probably with under 2 minutes left) and set up for a game tying field goal. The point is that everything was going to have to go right, and if 1 thing didn't go right (which it did) the game is ours.

Smart coaching will set it up, make them make 35 consecutive successful plays, and if they do, tip your hat. It's better than getting burned on a single play, and all of a sudden being up only 7 with 10 minutes to play, where it's anybody's game.

10. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

You can't put all the blame on the CS and the defense does NOT have alot of talent. The prevent is terrible but when teams are picking up extra 10-15 yard chunks because the players can't make the initial tackle that's not on the CS. Like I said a couple posts ago the Dolphins made alot of "unforced errors" yesterday that kept them off the scoreboard in the first half. Although the 4th and 1 stuff was one positive on D.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

There is a ton of talent on this D it is just being misused. Again we have most of the same players we had in the playoffs of '04 where we played great against SD and Pitt on the road. That doesn't mean the players are blameless, they get their share for their pitiful performance this year but we aren't utilizing our players to the best of their abilities.

12. akibud

akibud Active Member

way to be aggressive!! tell us how you really feel... you crazylion you!!

excellent assessment, although I doubt you will find many defenders of this current defense. Clearly, they are not even statistically as bad as they appear, but one can only imagine how much better the team would be if they would just appear to be better than they play.

13. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Our D is like an F-