I think D-Rob is likely to be released at some point

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 4, 2008.

1. islesfan

islesfan New Member

This is why I thought getting a 4th and 5th rounder from Cincy was an awesome trade. But others thought it was garbage because a 3rd rounder wasn't included. I didn't understand that. Now we'll get nothing if we end up having to release him. At this point I'd take any draft pick.

2. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

We weren't the only team chasing Jenkins, y'know?

You don't pick and choose when to trade for a pro bowl caliber NT. He's on the market, and he's off the market in just a matter of hours. Great players seeking a trade get done quickly. IE: How long was Jon Vilma made available? Exactly.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If there are teams that feel the same way, then I think there is zero chance he makes it to the open market. Bidding wars end with overpaid players.

4. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I do agree with this post 100%. I told my son that if Tanny was able to move DeW he should be given the Merlin the Wizard award of the year

5. islesfan

islesfan New Member

Marvin Lewis is now saying that the Robertson trade breaking down had nothing to do with money, implying that it has to do with his health, specifically his knees.

If that's the case then I don't know how many teams will be lining up to give him a fat contract if he's released.

Of course, it could all be a ploy, and a scumbag one at that, to get him to come down on his demands for a new contract.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Mike T is a true artist with his words, he can say so much without actually saying anything of substance. Carton was basically pressuring him to admit that there was no way he was writing the bonus check for DRob in June. He danced around the question without ever admitting it but you could tell that is the case. If he is not traded, which seems unlikely at best at this point he will be released.

7. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Actually the move would be coleman to outside, since he played it before in Dallas. Ellis to an OLB would be a bad bad move... just my opinion though

Ellis

8. flgreen

flgreen New Member

The best thing the Jets can do right now is the same thing they did with Vilma. Let his agent try to work out a trade with any team that wants him.

Right now I can think of two. As mentioned Cincy and Denver. To make things more interesting Denver's DT got arrested the other day for kind of a serious charge,

Possession of Coke, and a fire arm. If that sticks that is jail time.

I also read an interesting post on another board the other day that I can't confirm, so if it's wrong don't skin me. The post said that D-Rob's salary next year falls to 5 million. If true that means a bit over 15 for two, instead of 10 for one. Much more manageable to a team that wants to do him a new contract.

As long as there are two teams interested, one of them might cough up some draft picks to prevent him from going to the open market. If he is outright cut, you can bet it won't be until May 30th. Which means he would miss the off season work outs, ect.

Something might get done here yet.

I hope

9. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Great post, It could be in DRobs interest in catch on with another team now rather than waiting until the Jets cut him. Hopefully we can find another team wiling to send us a 4th and 5th round pick for him.

10. 73klecko

73klecko Member

Tampa Bay could be another team. They have lots of $$ and I think are in need of a DT. Detroit too. Although I think they have explored DRob and apparently aren't interested.

11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I think that we tried that already, hence Cincinatti.

12. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Id rather keep him even if he doesnt restructure giving up him up for nothing for a player who has played decent and in a 43 is a good player is dumb.