I support Vernon Gholston

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Aug 24, 2009.

1. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

He's a mexican kid from Southern Cal...the words "cut him" have a whole other meaning.

It's a joke, folks.

2. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

ugh. not really funny. plus he's not mexican. he's 3rd gen. mexican-american born and raised in LA, his dad is a former US army Sgt. and an ORange Cty. Fire Capt. and Mark didn't even know how to speak spanish until he took spanish classes at usc. He's American.

3. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Yes, I know...bad joke.

4. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

love the random comments that you keep repeating to yourself. Thanks for proving your point. :up:

5. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

We are all "American" if a citizen. Some just choose to amplify their heritage more than others.

6. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

please do.....

while I agree that a 3 man front doesnt mean its a 3-4, these "one sided explanations" are not wrong. They are spot on for how he performed on each of these plays. It doesnt change the fact the he was rushing the passer as DE in a 3 man front while other rushers are coming off the edge, or off of his blocker.

I never noted in the breakdown that each set was 3-4. I just stated that it was a 3 man front. I posted a 3-4 breakdown in the bottom for the "geniuses" who dont know how to read or know what the hell a 3-3-5 package is. I didnt count the secondary, but im pretty sure it was a nickle package. The one dime I saw was the Flacco bomb where we got smoked for 40+ yards.

#226 Scikotic, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Pace is out for the first 4 games. Gholston will be starting. If he plays himself out of the starting unit or we see the majority of snaps going to someone else what do you do with his roster spot when Pace comes back?

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hopefully it goes to a player that can contribute. Murrell is still on the roster and Trusnik is not a bad contributer. I'd rather see them bench Gholston than keep him on the field doing little or nothing.

9. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I would think Pace must be on the roster, so you would not neccessarily need to free up a roster spot.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think he means the gameday active roster. Players that suit up.

11. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Oh ok, that makes sense.

12. winstonbiggs

I suspect while Pace isn't cut he isn't considered part of the 53 man roster during his suspension?

13. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

That is what I was driving at but abyzmul thinks you mean gameday roster. I believe he is apart of your roster, not sure you get an exemption for that.

If so, I am not sure who you bench for that game. I guess whoever has performed the worst the first quarter of the season, or whatever position has the most depth.

14. winstonbiggs

I think it's going to be interesting to see just how much of Gholston Ryan is willing to take during these 4 games.

Ryan has been big on building guys up with a lot of positive reinforcement but cutting them loose if they don't really perform.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I hope and pray he develops but I just don't see it. Here are some of my reasons why.
    a) We have OLB that went either late rounds or undrafted that have a better instinct and nose for the ball than he does. You don?t typically develop that
    b) I look for his involvement in every play, but all I see is #50 standing up behind the pile always a yard behind the action
    c) He seems way too hesitant and continuously late to the player and the ball. Perhaps that can be corrected
    d) He certainly does not seem to shed OL and get to the action. Is that technique or will?

16. TexasJet

TexasJet New Member

Pace started slow too

If you look at Calvin Pace's career statistics, he wasn't lighting it up either until his 5th year (and he was a 1st round - 18th - pick).

While we all agree that this isn't typical of a player picked at his spot... it happens... At least coach the guy.. don't give up on him... we can't afford to give up on him...

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

he was playing the 4-3, and when they switched to the 3-4 he woke up.

18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

We can't afford to keep him if he keeps giving us nothing. There is no way in hell the Jets would waste 5 years developing what is currently a marginal NFL player. Most franchise QB's don't even get 5 years to develop let alone a defensive player. This will be Gholston's make or break year as a Jet, that is pretty obvious at this point.

19. winstonbiggs

Terrific Gholston sucks for 4 years while killing our cap and taking up a roster spot before having a salary drive and producing for his next team. If Gholston duplicates what Pace did it will be about the worst possible scenario for the Jets.

20. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Yep, the light switch went on when they started to play him in the correct alignment. VG will just need to keep on progressing. While most of us here are impatient and expect huge things out of him, its smart to keep in perspective the fact that he changed positions, left school early, and was shit on by Mangini last year which obviously stunted his development.

Im not saying VG will work out, but im not ready to count him out either. I see the potential in his play.