I support Vernon Gholston

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I agree. Granted, we need him to play well because Pace will be out, but he's not a bust yet. He came out early from college and transitioned positions. He's not going to be a big player year one.

However, he's shown absolutely nothing. Didn't Brian Thomas block a punt against Pittsburgh in the preseason his rookie year? Gholston wasn't thought highly enough by Mangini to even play most of last year. That's a strong statement, and while I'm not giving up on him, I'm lowering expectations for this year and down the line as well, and usually I won't do that after just one year.

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Nor should anyone lower their expectations for a player drafted #6 overall in the '08 draft. If he can't live up to his billing that's on him.

3. NY Sack Exchange7

NY Sack Exchange7 New Member

Point on mate! Guy doesnt have a motor, looks lost completely at times and seems to care less whats happening around him. For the dollars we are paying him, he is a complete and total bust! Yes, I live Green & White for 40 plus years, but VG is a bust.

4. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

You must be patient. BTW, we need that money for playoff tickets today. Otherwise you are off the list.

Signed,
    Woody Johnson.

5. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

i'm interested to hear what rex is saying about gholston . i haven't heard him say anything since naming him the starter.

6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rofl:

7. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

If Gholston were honorable, he would rip up his contract and just say goodbye. If he doesn't want to play in the NFL, he shouldn't get NFL money.

At least Westerman has the desire to play.

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

honorable? Really?

Why in hell would anyone turn down the money given to him in that kind of contract. The Jets drafted him high and paid him for where he was drafted. Thats like implying that if Tanny was Honorable he would jsut pay the Jets back for the the moeny because he made the mistake of signing him to the deal.

9. RedWhiteBlue&Green

Tanny was trying to make the team better. It wasn't a crazy move to draft Gholston so high. Many had picked him to go high.

What I was trying to say was that, if Gholston doesn't want to give it 100% on the field, then why play in the NFL. People dream about being where Gholston is. It's a pity that he takes it for granted. At least, I think he does. I'm not inside his head, but he seems not to want to be here.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'll agree that something is not right in that head of his. He physicaly has the tools to do more. Be it desire or something else, its the mental part holding him back.

11. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one not wearing the green blinders on this board. Earlier today I was damn near crucified for making the OUTRAGEOUS claim that Gholston has been absolutely terrible.

#191 yanks9596, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  12. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

No plenty of fair weather fans on here have decided to totally give up on a guy who came out of college early and was immediately asked to change positions and had to play for mangina. The fact that he wasn't immediately good in the minds of some of the so called intelligentsia here means that he should quit and forfeit his contract. The guy is a good athlete and a good person who is getting better and working hard. NewsFlash: Some NFL players take longer than others to adjust to the game and become successful. Not everybody is immediately awesome. Many very good players struggle early in their careers. DO YOU KNOW WHY THEY GO ON TO BECOME VERY GOOD PLAYERS???? Because they keep working hard and because their teammates, coaches and fans don't give up on them.

13. RedWhiteBlue&Green

They keep working hard? Which player are you talking about? I thought this thread was about Gholston!

14. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Couldn't find the "Tap out" button fast enough, eh?

Taken personal offense? LMFAO!!! Sorry sir, but your are clearly dilusional if you think Ive taken offense from someone who doesnt understand the X's and O's of football. Im doing you a favor by attempting to educate you. But hey, go ahead and tell your friends your theory on why you think Gholston is a bust.

Yanks9596: "Because I said so....."

Hilarious:rofl:

15. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

The best part of this is that people are claiming and reclaiming that Gholston had zero impact on the field, yet Scik went to the trouble of analyzing and posting detailed descriptions of the impact he had in the Ravens game.

Just because it's not the impact you want doesn't make it a lack of impact. Are people going to be pissed off all year when Sanchez hands the ball to TJ or Leon 3 times for every one time he puts the ball in the air?

Wait. What am I saying? Of course they will.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You must admit that when you pick someone #6 and then pay them 40 million dollars you expect to SEE them have some impact. You don't pick and pay someone like that so you can read then that when they played as a 3-4 DE they took on a block and did it nicely. UFAs do that everyday.

He's not a bust because he can't take on a clock. He's a bust because he was drafted to be and is being paid to be a tackle and sack warrior and in 21 pre and regular season games (he was deactivated for one because of how pathetic he was) he has exactly 1 solo tackle and 0 sacks. That is why people are upset with him.

They line him up at DE or DT not because they want to but because he can't do what he is being paid to do and what they drafted him to do.

#196 Don, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  17. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

As I've said repeatedly, he's not who he was drafted to be at this point, and people need to deal with that. The thing now is, will he be more than a total bust?

The Jets did draft him, and they do have to pay him. Now do we want him to be useless and ride the pine, or would we rather be happy seeing him at least play a different role and make a difference on the field?

Personally, I'd rather he became an end that takes up two blockers, thereby creating room for someone else to move toward the QB, than him just sitting on the bench. And if Ryan can somehow also teach him to play OLB on top of it, I'll consider that a bonus.

I don't know how else I can say it to make more sense, but Gholston, right now, is not the guy who he was drafted to be. That's disappointing, but the question is, what are you willing to accept from him? Would you rather he became a forceful DE, or would you rather he became Ryan Leaf? Either way, he gets paid. For my money, I'll take any impact over none at all.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Obviously they are trying to get something out of him but he practices with the 2s. Only point being made is that he is a bust for what they thought they were getting when they drafted him. They can't cut him and he did have a few tackles on ST last year so maybe that is his calling.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I heard Rex say Gholston was going to start for Pace on 1050.

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

On a 53 man roster every player who gets on the field has impact. The problem isn't his impact the problem is he's taking up a roster spot and cap space. The pick was an epic fail and sets the team back big time.